Author Topic: House to vote on bill protecting access to contraceptives  (Read 1121 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 House to vote on bill protecting access to contraceptives
by Mychael Schnell - 07/15/22 7:37 PM ET

The House will vote next week on a bill aimed at protecting access to contraceptives, a direct response to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas saying the court should reconsider the landmark decision in Griswold v. Connecticut.

Thomas — considered by some to be the most conservative justice on the court — wrote a concurring opinion to last month’s decision overturning Roe v. Wade that said the bench should “reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents,” listing Griswold, which safeguards a married couple’s right to use contraception, among other cases.

He argued that the Due Process Clause in the Constitution does not protect substantive rights, infuriating Democrats across the country.

In a statement on Friday, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) targeted Thomas’ opinion and said the lower chamber will take action to defend Americans’ access to contraceptives.

“In his concurring opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson, Justice Clarence Thomas made it very clear that the extremist ruling that ended Roe v. Wade could be used to overturn other precedents, and he specifically referenced the case that recognized Americans’ constitutional right to access contraception,” Hoyer said.

“The House will not sit back and allow extremist Republicans and their judicial appointees to limit Americans’ access to contraception, which is why I will bring H.R. 8373, the Right to Contraception Act, to the House Floor next week,” he added.

The bill, introduced by Rep. Kathy Manning (D-N.C.), allows people to obtain and use contraceptives, and protects healthcare providers’ ability to provide contraceptives and relevant information to patients.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3561953-house-to-vote-on-bill-protecting-access-to-contraceptives/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

Re: House to vote on bill protecting access to contraceptives
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 03:36:39 am »
There is no constitutional right to contraception. If precedent is changed it will be a states right issue like abortion. Thomas is the only justice to make that statement and so far the other justices have disagreed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 03:53:53 am »
There is no constitutional right to contraception. If precedent is changed it will be a states right issue like abortion. Thomas is the only justice to make that statement and so far the other justices have disagreed.

@Killer Clouds

There is no Constitutional right to buy a house or a car,either.

Some things are just so basic they don't need to be stated.

Like YOUR right to not use contraception,for example.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 04:19:33 am »
@Killer Clouds

There is no Constitutional right to buy a house or a car,either.

Some things are just so basic they don't need to be stated.

Like YOUR right to not use contraception,for example.
@sneakypete
The whole thing is ridiculous.  My comment was more of a rhetorical comment. So are the DCP idiots going to start making laws to protect everything? Even if they do they are still not rights. Rights are not privileges that are granted by the government.
I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 04:29:26 am »
@sneakypete
The whole thing is ridiculous.  My comment was more of a rhetorical comment. So are the DCP idiots going to start making laws to protect everything? Even if they do they are still not rights. Rights are not privileges that are granted by the government.
I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

@Killer Clouds

Once again I have to apologize for misunderstanding you.

Seems to me like this whole thing is turning into a plot to put the lawyers in charge. That way nothing ever gets settled,it just keeps getting argued about until one side just gives up.

Maybe it is just me,but I can NOT envision a world where there is no such thing as established "rights and wrongs" that 90+ percent of the people understand without even  having to think about it.

Shakespeare was wise when he wrote "The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 06:21:32 am »
Maybe it is just me,but I can NOT envision a world where there is no such thing as established "rights and wrongs" that 90+ percent of the people understand without even  having to think about it.

@sneakypete

Those established rights and wrongs began to deteriorate as standards and mores began to be defined federally.
Removing those federal intrusions will go far to restore those proper standards you desire.

The federal government has no business at all in the field of contraception.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 05:45:25 pm »
@sneakypete

Those established rights and wrongs began to deteriorate as standards and mores began to be defined federally.
Removing those federal intrusions will go far to restore those proper standards you desire.

The federal government has no business at all in the field of contraception.

@roamer_1

Or,truth to tell,anything else having to do with domestic politics or laws as long as the Constitution/Bill of Rights aren't being trampled by politicians seeking votes from donors whose oxen are being gored.

Or "campaign contributions",either.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 05:55:38 pm »
@roamer_1

Or,truth to tell,anything else having to do with domestic politics or laws as long as the Constitution/Bill of Rights aren't being trampled by politicians seeking votes from donors whose oxen are being gored.

Or "campaign contributions",either.

That's right @sneakypete
If it is not granted to the fed by the Constitution, it is reserved for the States and to the People.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 07:25:00 pm »
That's right @sneakypete
If it is not granted to the fed by the Constitution, it is reserved for the States and to the People.
The DCP understands that and that's why they hate the Constitution.