Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez: Supreme Court has ‘gone rogue’  (Read 922 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ocasio-Cortez: Supreme Court has ‘gone rogue’
« on: July 13, 2022, 01:45:06 pm »
 Ocasio-Cortez: Supreme Court has ‘gone rogue’
by Caroline Vakil - 07/13/22 9:15 AM ET

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday said that the Supreme Court has “gone rogue” after it overturned Roe v. Wade last month, a move that upset Democrats who say several justices had not been forthcoming about their feelings regarding the 1973 landmark abortion rights decision during their confirmation hearings.

Ocasio-Cortez said the move from the conservative wing means a number of changes should be considered for the high court.

“I believe impeachment should be on the table. I believe court expansion should be on the table. I believe that ethics rules should be on the table. I believe that recusal requirements should be on the table,” Ocasio-Cortez told reporters.

“I think all of it should be considered right now. And we shouldn’t be putting any tools out because of … the degree of which this court has gone rogue.”

Ocasio-Cortez also noted one Supreme Court justice whom she believed should be impeached.

“I believe that Clarence Thomas should be impeached without a shadow of a doubt,” the New York Democrat said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3557191-ocasio-cortez-supreme-court-has-gone-rogue/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Ocasio-Cortez: Supreme Court has ‘gone rogue’
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 01:47:02 pm »
Imagine if Americans throughout history had become this idiotic and hysterical every time they disagreed with how a court ruled. My gosh.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 04:02:32 pm »
Actually, the SCOTUS has finally ceased to be rogue.  I think Wicker v. Filburn (the Feds may forbid a farmer from growing wheat for his own family's consumption because doing so "affects interstate commerce" -- which view of the commerce clause created the Federal bureaucratic behemoth), Reynolds v. Sims (which forbade states from following the wisdom the Founders showed in setting up the Senate by having an upper legislative house based on counties or towns (in New England), rather than population-based districts), and Roe v. Wade were all rogue decisions with no actual basis in the Constitution.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 04:05:28 pm »
The Supreme Court has most emphatically not gone rogue; they've simply ceased to favor the left's political agenda.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 06:12:57 pm »
Everytime AOC says "I think......" she proves she's a pathological liar. She is incapable of thinking.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 06:13:37 pm »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 06:59:33 pm »
The Supreme Court has most emphatically not gone rogue; they've simply ceased to favor the left's political agenda.

At least in a handful of (admittedly important) cases recently.  When Roberts starts reliably acting like a conservative on his interpretations, maybe then we can make a more sweeping statement.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 08:17:24 pm »
Every time this person opens her mouth to speak the collective IQ of the US falls .
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 08:36:06 pm »
At least in a handful of (admittedly important) cases recently.  When Roberts starts reliably acting like a conservative on his interpretations, maybe then we can make a more sweeping statement.
SCOTUS justices should not be liberal or conservative. They should be constitutional.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 08:37:58 pm »
SCOTUS justices should not be liberal or conservative. They should be constitutional.

I'll give a big "Amen" on that!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 08:53:58 pm »
That used to be all we expected of them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 09:08:45 pm »
That used to be all we expected of them.

It's their ONLY job!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 09:31:59 pm »
Exactly so. And not deciding that an insurance scheme is a tax because of reasons.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 12:32:12 am »
Exactly so. And not deciding that an insurance scheme is a tax because of reasons.
Agreed. There has been problems with SCOTUS  for a long time. 5-4 decisions should be extremely occasional and not the norm if they are doing their jobs correctly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 05:55:16 am »
Actually, the SCOTUS has finally ceased to be rogue.  I think Wicker v. Filburn (the Feds may forbid a farmer from growing wheat for his own family's consumption because doing so "affects interstate commerce" -- which view of the commerce clause created the Federal bureaucratic behemoth), Reynolds v. Sims (which forbade states from following the wisdom the Founders showed in setting up the Senate by having an upper legislative house based on counties or towns (in New England), rather than population-based districts), and Roe v. Wade were all rogue decisions with no actual basis in the Constitution.
Yep. I'd add US v Miller to your list, but it is nice to see some rulings that appear to be compliant with the Constitution for a change.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis