Author Topic: NASA’s Webb Delivers Deepest Infrared Image of Universe Yet  (Read 17475 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: NASA’s Webb Delivers Deepest Infrared Image of Universe Yet
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 03:07:04 am »
New Hubble photo of Orion Nebula is stunning and hypnotic

https://bgr.com/science/new-hubble-photo-of-orion-nebula-is-stunning-and-hypnotic/

Hubble has captured a new photo of the Orion Nebula, and it is absolutely breathtaking. The photo is mostly centered around a celestial cloudscape in the nebula, which includes a Herbig-Haro object known as HH 505. Herbig-Haro objects are luminous regions that surround newborn stars. The image is stunning and a great reminder that Hubble has plenty of life left in it.

The European Space Agency (ESA) says the outflows that create HH 505 come from a star known as IX Ori. The star itself lies on the outskirts of the Orion Nebula, roughly 1000 light-years away from the Earth. You can see the outflows along the top and bottom of the new Orion photo captured by Hubble.

Hubble captured the image using its Advanced Camera for Surveys. Astronomers watched the nebula to study the properties of outflows and protoplanetary discs. The capture looks like a mixture of colorful clouds peacefully floating through space. Of course, in the middle of that mixture is HH 505, which gives the image an even more intriguing look.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2023, 11:57:42 pm »
Behold! New Images From Webb Telescope Show Rivers of Stars and Dust

https://www.inverse.com/science/jwst-sees-the-ianes-of-dust-gas-in-spiral-galaxies

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) continues to mesmerize with its latest views of the Universe.

Scientists caught unprecedented sights of star-making material when they directed a JWST instrument to look at a handful of nearby galaxies. Their data revealed billowing strands of dust too faint to see with other telescopes, as well as clusters of stars near galactic hearts and ‘spurs’ where the dusty cocoons gestate new stars. These pretty visuals provide astronomers with the first steps to charting how stellar nurseries may influence the much grander shapes of their home galaxies.

Astronomers with the PHANGS survey (short for Physics at High Angular resolution in Nearby Galaxies) looked at a handful of face-on galaxies. With this imagery, astronomers are peering into stellar formation in galaxies located millions of light-years away.

They include this view of NGC 1365, a barred spiral galaxy located roughly 60 million light-years away. The bar acts like a road for the star-making material, which can make its way to the center of the galaxy and boost ongoing star formation at its core. JWST’s Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) collected the data for this image.

To see the flow of dusty trails, astronomers needed next-generation instruments tuned in to infrared, a segment of the electromagnetic spectrum where the dust’s subtle heat could be detected.

“JWST allows us to precisely pinpoint the youngest stars still within their birth clouds in nearby galaxies. This capability enables us to look inside the gas and dust in gas-rich galaxy [centers] to study where and how inflowing gas is converted into stars, like in NGC 1365, and compare those results to the Milky Way,” Eva Schinnerer, PHANGS collaborator, states in a description of the images published on Thursday by the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy (MPIA). (Schinnerer is a research group leader at MPIA.)

JWST captured this view of NGC 1365, a barred spiral galaxy located roughly 60 million light-years away in the constellation of Fornax (the Furnace).

JWST captured this view of NGC 628, a grand-design spiral galaxy located 32 million light-years from Earth.

Offline DB

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 12:34:08 am »
Behold! New Images From Webb Telescope Show Rivers of Stars and Dust

https://www.inverse.com/science/jwst-sees-the-ianes-of-dust-gas-in-spiral-galaxies

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) continues to mesmerize with its latest views of the Universe.

Scientists caught unprecedented sights of star-making material when they directed a JWST instrument to look at a handful of nearby galaxies. Their data revealed billowing strands of dust too faint to see with other telescopes, as well as clusters of stars near galactic hearts and ‘spurs’ where the dusty cocoons gestate new stars. These pretty visuals provide astronomers with the first steps to charting how stellar nurseries may influence the much grander shapes of their home galaxies.

Astronomers with the PHANGS survey (short for Physics at High Angular resolution in Nearby Galaxies) looked at a handful of face-on galaxies. With this imagery, astronomers are peering into stellar formation in galaxies located millions of light-years away.

They include this view of NGC 1365, a barred spiral galaxy located roughly 60 million light-years away. The bar acts like a road for the star-making material, which can make its way to the center of the galaxy and boost ongoing star formation at its core. JWST’s Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) collected the data for this image.

To see the flow of dusty trails, astronomers needed next-generation instruments tuned in to infrared, a segment of the electromagnetic spectrum where the dust’s subtle heat could be detected.

“JWST allows us to precisely pinpoint the youngest stars still within their birth clouds in nearby galaxies. This capability enables us to look inside the gas and dust in gas-rich galaxy [centers] to study where and how inflowing gas is converted into stars, like in NGC 1365, and compare those results to the Milky Way,” Eva Schinnerer, PHANGS collaborator, states in a description of the images published on Thursday by the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy (MPIA). (Schinnerer is a research group leader at MPIA.)

JWST captured this view of NGC 1365, a barred spiral galaxy located roughly 60 million light-years away in the constellation of Fornax (the Furnace).

JWST captured this view of NGC 628, a grand-design spiral galaxy located 32 million light-years from Earth.

That is truly exceptional! Just wow!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 01:11:13 am »
All that just happened all by itself.

8bs8
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 02:36:35 am »
This kind of stuff is what makes the purpose of life feel…so…worthwhile
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2023, 02:38:41 am »
That's purdy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2023, 08:01:07 pm »
Deep infrared image, boloney!
I took that picture with my iPhone looking through my 30x binoculars.
No problem!
Sent it to NASA and they take all the credit?   I'm gonna sue those bureaucrats.

Now tell me what is wrong with this page from August 1991 National Geographic magazine.

http://NatGeoGoofed.blogspot.com
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2023, 08:26:11 pm »
No problem!
Sent it to NASA and they take all the credit?   I'm gonna sue those bureaucrats.

Now tell me what is wrong with this page from August 1991 National Geographic magazine.

The picture on the bottom is upside-down.

Stalagmites vs. stalactites.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2023, 08:32:48 pm »
No problem!

Per the quote at the bottom, I see a couple of pictures of 'caves' but none of buffalo or canyons.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2023, 10:00:56 am »
No problem!

The stalactites are pointing up, not down.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2023, 05:57:26 pm »
The picture on the bottom is upside-down.

Stalagmites vs. stalactites.

Well done Andy.  Ten million people read National Geographic magazine monthly and so far as I know, I am the only one who wrote to them and notified them of the mistake.  I have a letter acknowledging the upside downedness but they never printed my letter. 

Years later, I cancelled my decades long subscription for their persistent hypocrisy in preaching *climate change* in article after article, while at the same time offering tours and cruises and everything else including "Around the World by Private Jet," at $100,000 per passenger way back when.

http://theglobalwarmingfraud.wordpress.com

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2023, 06:35:22 pm »

Well done Andy.  Ten million people read National Geographic magazine monthly and so far as I know, I am the only one who wrote to them and notified them of the mistake.  I have a letter acknowledging the upside downedness but they never printed my letter. 

Years later, I cancelled my decades long subscription for their persistent hypocrisy in preaching *climate change* in article after article, while at the same time offering tours and cruises and everything else including "Around the World by Private Jet," at $100,000 per passenger way back when.

I allowed my subscription to National Geographic to expire sometime around 1979 or 80. Never missed it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:36:21 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2023, 06:53:41 pm »

My wife and I let our NG subscription lapse about 10 years ago when the politicization of its content and inhospitability to open inquiry both became insufferable.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2023, 11:11:50 pm »
We got some pretty smart people here on these boards. I'm talkin' about Bigun and Andy.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2023, 12:53:36 am »
We are alone.

The Brilliant Creator made this universe just for us. When you study the science, it's obvious.
The science pointing this out was preceded by the revelations in the Holy Bible written many centuries before humans became so very sophisticated and advanced.
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
First Sentence in the first Chapter of the First Book.

Now the complexity of the human body, of atomic structure, of the Anthropic Principle, of the atomic reactor which gives us life, the sun, of the electromagnetic spectrum, of all these things and more there is profound evidence of the Hand of the Brilliant Creator in Whom an overwhelming majority of Nobel Laureates in the sciences believe. Clue: They are not stupid. And they know things.

Beyond these considerations is this. IF, hypothetically speaking, there were some highly intelligent E.T., they would statistically be located over a billion light years away. Radiocommunications in either direction could never arrive to them from us or vice versa.

BUT IF THEY COULD, humans could not read hieroglyphics written by other humans until the Rosetta Stone was discovered, with three different languages giving the same message. So it is inconceivable that we could read some coded message in an unknown language from hypothetical E.T. We hear whales shrieking in the oceans and they have the largest brains on earth and we have no idea what they are saying.   Q.E.D.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2023, 01:37:34 am »
We are alone.

The Brilliant Creator made this universe just for us. When you study the science, it's obvious.
The science pointing this out was preceded by the revelations in the Holy Bible written many centuries before humans became so very sophisticated and advanced.

Now the complexity of the human body, of atomic structure, of the Anthropic Principle, of the atomic reactor which gives us life, the sun, of the electromagnetic spectrum, of all these things and more there is profound evidence of the Hand of the Brilliant Creator in Whom an overwhelming majority of Nobel Laureates in the sciences believe. Clue: They are not stupid. And they know things.

Beyond these considerations is this. IF, hypothetically speaking, there were some highly intelligent E.T., they would statistically be located over a billion light years away. Radiocommunications in either direction could never arrive to them from us or vice versa.

BUT IF THEY COULD, humans could not read hieroglyphics written by other humans until the Rosetta Stone was discovered, with three different languages giving the same message. So it is inconceivable that we could read some coded message in an unknown language from hypothetical E.T. We hear whales shrieking in the oceans and they have the largest brains on earth and we have no idea what they are saying.   Q.E.D.

Highly doubtful. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2023, 01:54:41 am »
We are alone.

We are alone.
We are not alone.

No one has evidence to prove either one so both are equally true.  To claim either one is hubris.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2023, 01:55:55 am »
Well,I'd like to post an informed opinion,but don't understand any of it well enough to even have an uninformed  opinion.

Other than it wasn't all created by some Holy Spook living in the sky.

And "No,I do NOT know how it was created. Neither do any of you. It is a great mystery to all of us,and sometimes a mystery is enough to fascinate and inspire.

Sometimes mysteries are just too complex for any of us to understand,and that's ok,too.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2023, 02:04:46 am »

In the part I highlighted, God is speaking to the inhabitants of THIS Earth. What's to say that He didn't create many Earths in the limitless universe?  What's to say that is not continuing to occur?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2023, 02:29:05 am »
My opinion?

Just like ah's everyone has one.

Mine, as a scientist says the probability is high that  there is sentient life out in the cosmos somewhere.  Likely as advanced or more than ours.  However, I am guessing that "warp" travel, even closely approaching travel at the speed of light is not likely ever to occur.  To me,the physics involved to create energy to even bend space/time for travel is stuff more of sci fi than reality.

Then, add the vastness and randomness of the universe.  If you consider that communication likely can not happen any faster than the speed of life, any communication would not only be remote, but so infrequent.  We have stars over 800,000 light years away in our galaxy.  Other galaxies?  Will never happen.  Even if for some reason we discern a blip of civiization, the chance of capturing their brief existence is very very remote.

I like to think we are not alone, but as another mentioned who is not to say that a higher being created it all.  Thinking about it.....  How all of this happened in pure randomness seems unlikely.  An encompasive eternal void would seem a more likely direction of higher being or higher power.  For some reason that higher power chose not to take the lazy route, and the wonderment of the universe happened.

I really didn't want this to devolve into a philosophical vs. theological discussive matter, but I think most of us went through that existential reflection at some point, and came to the conclusion that we won't know until we die.....   Or will we?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 02:30:29 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2023, 02:35:38 am »
My opinion?

Just like ah's everyone has one.

Mine, as a scientist says the probability is high that  there is sentient life out in the cosmos somewhere.  Likely as advanced or more than ours.  However, I am guessing that "warp" travel, even closely approaching travel at the speed of light is not likely ever to occur.  To me,the physics involved to create energy to even bend space/time for travel is stuff more of sci fi than reality.

Then, add the vastness and randomness of the universe.  If you consider that communication likely can not happen any faster than the speed of life, any communication would not only be remote, but so infrequent.  We have stars over 800,000 light years away in our galaxy.  Other galaxies?  Will never happen.  Even if for some reason we discern a blip of civiization, the chance of capturing their brief existence is very very remote.

I like to think we are not alone, but as another mentioned who is not to say that a higher being created it all.  Thinking about it.....  How all of this happened in pure randomness seems unlikely.  An encompasive eternal void would seem a more likely direction of higher being or higher power.  For some reason that higher power chose not to take the lazy route, and the wonderment of the universe happened.

I really didn't want this to devolve into a philosophical vs. theological discussive matter, but I think most of us went through that existential reflection at some point, and came to the conclusion that we won't know until we die.....   Or will we?

@catfish1957

The REAL question is IF there is other life in the universe, and I truly believe this is probable,will we even be able to recognize it as an intelligent life form,and will they be able to recognize US as an intelligent life form?

Different planetary conditions are bought to create different life-forms.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2023, 02:42:37 am »
@catfish1957

The REAL question is IF there is other life in the universe, and I truly believe this is probable,will we even be able to recognize it as an intelligent life form,and will they be able to recognize US as an intelligent life form?

I'm convinced that there are many earths out here and that the inhabitants of all of them look just like we do.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2023, 02:43:58 am »
@catfish1957

In one of Tucker Carlson's last interviews he brought the matter up with Musk.  Musk eloquently responded that he probably knows as much about space as anyone else, and his repsonse was that we as humans do not have any evidence of  alien life.  I beleive him.

As far as recognition, I do think their are universal constants of things like math, and physics, and specifically patterned statistics that presented properly would be recognizable by one another. 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2023, 02:48:29 am »
I'm convinced that there are many earths out here and that the inhabitants of all of them look just like we do.

Agree.  With the vastness of the universe, I'd guess there are many like us, and with the factors of environmental conditions and evoutionary randomness, guessing there are many many more than that are not, 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2023, 03:46:15 am »

@Bigun

Ok,I disagree,but who am I to tell you that you are wrong?

I DO know there have been reports of aliens visiting ancient Egypt and maybe a few other places that SEEM to have been semi-credible,but who really  knows?

However,IF this is true,they were certain to look close enough to human to have not been executed on sight,and supposedly they helped the Egyptians advance their culture at least a little. The SUPPOSITION that I read GUESSED that humanity at that time,and probably now,were too primitive to interest the aliens,so they just left and went somewhere else.

Can't say this is true or untrue. Just saying a lot of people believe it to be true.