Author Topic: NASA’s Webb Delivers Deepest Infrared Image of Universe Yet  (Read 17468 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope has produced the deepest and sharpest infrared image of the distant universe to date. Known as Webb’s First Deep Field, this image of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 is overflowing with detail.

Thousands of galaxies – including the faintest objects ever observed in the infrared – have appeared in Webb’s view for the first time. This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground.

This deep field, taken by Webb’s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam), is a composite made from images at different wavelengths, totaling 12.5 hours – achieving depths at infrared wavelengths beyond the Hubble Space Telescope’s deepest fields, which took weeks.

The image shows the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 as it appeared 4.6 billion years ago. The combined mass of this galaxy cluster acts as a gravitational lens, magnifying much more distant galaxies behind it. Webb’s NIRCam has brought those distant galaxies into sharp focus – they have tiny, faint structures that have never been seen before, including star clusters and diffuse features. Researchers will soon begin to learn more about the galaxies’ masses, ages, histories, and compositions, as Webb seeks the earliest galaxies in the universe.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-webb-delivers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: NASA’s Webb Delivers Deepest Infrared Image of Universe Yet
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 11:14:21 pm »
Photo in article,

It’s full of stars…..(deliberate quote intended)

And one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 11:53:17 pm »
"President Joe Biden unveiled this image of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723, known as Webb’s First Deep Field, during a White House event Monday, July 11

Webb’s image covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground – and reveals thousands of galaxies in a tiny sliver of vast universe

Webb’s sharp near-infrared view brought out faint structures in extremely distant galaxies, offering the most detailed view of the early universe to date

NASA and its partners will release the full series of Webb’s first full-color images and data, known as spectra, Tuesday, July 12, during a live NASA TV broadcast"

@Gefn

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 11:55:04 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 12:34:48 am »
And that's from a view as big as a grain of sand! Who can possibly believe we're alone in the universe now.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 01:40:11 am »
And that's from a view as big as a grain of sand! Who can possibly believe we're alone in the universe now.

I have no idea. Certainly not me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 03:28:36 am »
"President Joe Biden unveiled this image of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723, known as Webb’s First Deep Field, during a White House event Monday, July 11

Webb’s image covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground – and reveals thousands of galaxies in a tiny sliver of vast universe

Webb’s sharp near-infrared view brought out faint structures in extremely distant galaxies, offering the most detailed view of the early universe to date

NASA and its partners will release the full series of Webb’s first full-color images and data, known as spectra, Tuesday, July 12, during a live NASA TV broadcast"

@Gefn

Thank you @Right_in_Virginia

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 04:32:04 am »
We are not alone.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 06:25:48 am »
Beautiful view....

(but a long long way between rest stops).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 12:28:55 pm »
Very beautiful, and very amazing.

Side note - I think it's hilarious that there's a Trump star in there, too.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 04:22:24 pm »
It’s also the newest worldwide Google doodle

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 07:53:15 pm »
God is an impressive artist.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 11:27:44 pm »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 12:40:40 am »
Who would have thunk a dying star would be so beautiful, especially considering all the damage it does.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 01:23:12 pm »
God is an impressive artist.

:yowsa: And his creations are limitless!  For me, looking at these photos has been a religious experience.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 08:13:40 pm »

Webb Space Telescope

HOME > Resource Gallery

Image Resources

https://webbtelescope.org/resource-gallery/images

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 10:51:32 pm »
The Colors in the James Webb Space Telescope Photos Are Fake

And that’s OK.

Slate by  Sarah Braner July 15, 2022

The images from JWST like the one of the Carina nebula and the deep field image are composed from data from the infrared spectrum, which has a longer wavelength than visible light, and is sometimes called “heat radiation.” Infrared radiation isn’t just an outer space thing—you and I give off infrared light, too. Some animals, like snakes, can see infrared light through specialized organs, but human cells in the retina aren’t adapted to seeing infrared (except under very specific circumstances, or with the assistance of night vision goggles). Humans can only see a fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum with the naked eye. This fraction, commonly called visible light, is tiny compared to the whole spectrum.

Many of the objects captured by the JWST give off visible light, as well as infrared. So, why bother looking at the sky using an infrared telescope? Some objects are only visible to us in infrared because they aren’t very bright (like planets that don’t emit visible light by themselves) or because dust is blocking the visible light. For objects that are really far away, the light they emit gets stretched out, going from visible to infrared, a phenomenon called redshifting, Alice Shapley, an astronomy professor at UCLA explained to me. This happens because the universe is expanding. The Carina nebula is within our home galaxy, so it’s not far away enough to get redshifted. But many galaxies in the deep field image are far away enough that the light they emit does get redshifted, leaving scientists to translate it back into a form that our eyes can understand.

To make the images circulating now, Shapley explained, the JWST used its infrared cameras to collect several “brightness images” in grayscale. Six filters each captured different wavelengths of infrared light. Back on Earth, each filter was assigned a color. The filter capturing the longest wavelength was red; the filter capturing the shortest wavelength was blue, with the other colors in between. By combining these images, the final composite image features all of the colors visible in the photos circulating now.

More: https://slate.com/technology/2022/07/james-webb-space-telescope-photos-colors-infrared.html

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2022, 01:23:06 am »
Scientist Mistakes Slice of Chorizo for Distant Star Imaged by the James Webb Space Telescope, Apology Ensues

Techeblog 8/5/2022

While the James Webb Space Telescope is busy imaging two super-earths, French scientist Etienne Klein mistakenly mistook an image of a slice of chorizo for Proxima Centauri, the closest star to our sun. However, many people across social media weren’t amused by this blundering mistake.

Klein initially played it off as a joke after Twitter users started turning his Tweet into a meme, but later had to say“to be wary of arguments from people in positions of authority as well as the spontaneous eloquence of certain images.” When he’s not making jokes, Klein is busy as the director of research at France’s Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) and a radio show producer.

According to contemporary cosmology, no object belonging to Spanish charcuterie exists anywhere but on Earth. I come to present my apologies to those who may have been shocked by my prank, which had nothing original about it,” he said, describing the post as a ‘scientist’s joke’,” said Klein.

https://www.techeblog.com/scientist-chorizo-star-james-webb-space-telescope/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcZPWOE_vT8&t=3s

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2022, 05:41:33 pm »
 :facepalm2:

CBS Evening News:  "A prominent French scientist is apologizing after tweeting a photo he claimed was an image of a distant star taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. Turns out, it was actually a close-up photo of a sausage."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1555692082190237696

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2022, 05:47:29 pm »
:facepalm2:

CBS Evening News:  "A prominent French scientist is apologizing after tweeting a photo he claimed was an image of a distant star taken by the James Webb Space Telescope. Turns out, it was actually a close-up photo of a sausage."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1555692082190237696

😂