Author Topic: Democrats Want a Tyranny of the Majority  (Read 468 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats Want a Tyranny of the Majority
« on: July 11, 2022, 04:58:17 pm »
Democrats Want a Tyranny of the Majority
The Left’s impatience with our constitutional democracy has never been more demonstrable.
By Matthew Boose
July 10, 2022

When arguing with liberals about the balance of power, conservatives like to say that America is a “republic, not a democracy.” The Right should stop using this phrase. In the first instance, it is a strategic mistake to cede the word democracy to authoritarians on the Left. It is also wrong to say America is not a democracy. If we take democracy to mean a system of popular government, then the United States surely is, and was meant to be, democratic. The distinction that matters is not between democracy and republic, but constitutional democracy and absolute democracy, between a government of limits and rule by the mob. The government the Left wants is democracy in its crudest, most violent, and chaotic form. Its result is tyranny.

We see this passion for absolute government in the Left’s rhetoric. They claim to speak for Our Democracy™ and paint anyone who stands in their way as a shadowy force of disunion. They are dismissive of checks and balances. Consider the Supreme Court. Democrats have long used the courts as a kind of super legislature, but now that they have lost control of them, and originalist justices are handing down decisions they do not like, Democrats are rejecting the legitimacy of a co-equal branch of government. To hear the Democrats tell it, laws that the majority wants, according to (often misleading) polls, should not be subject to judicial review.

If Democrats had it their way, they would be able to oppress red, rural America at will. The constitutional system our founders devised has the effect today of giving a rural minority a check on the will of an urban majority. This check is not an absolute veto, as the Left’s whinging might lead you to believe. It simply prevents the more populous part of the nation from banding together and trampling on the less populous part. The rules make it so that presidential elections aren’t decided by a few dense urban enclaves. They are designed to keep oppressive projects from becoming law, and protect the people from what Madison in The Federalist called an “excess of lawmaking.” The system induces compromise. The Democrats want a system where no compromise is needed.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2022/07/10/democrats-want-a-tyranny-of-the-majority/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Democrats Want a Tyranny of the Majority
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 07:14:49 pm »
But first the lefties need to create a real majority of the population, instead of pretending they are.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 07:23:22 pm »
They don't want a tyranny of the majority so much as a tyranny, simpliciter. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 08:14:14 pm »
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

― George Orwell, Animal Farm
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 08:34:32 pm »
The distinction matters, enormously.

The United States is, and was founded as a constitutional representative republic, not a "democracy" in the foundational and ancient Greek sense of the word. Its democratic elements exist not within the form of government, but rather in its processes and procedures, which depend upon the participatory rights of each citizen as a sovereign, voluntary and equal member of society. This was a deliberate design, reflected in all, not some, of our foundational documents.

The right to participate in local and state governance and to vote in both local and national elections is the essence of our democratic nature. But the nation is not a "democracy" in and of itself, where any temporal majority may decide which laws must govern all.

Absent the kind of structural limits inherent in our own Constitution, majoritarian "Democracy" as a form of government is always and inevitably a precursor to tyranny.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 08:37:30 pm »

The United States is, and was founded as a constitutional representative republic, not a "democracy" in the foundational and ancient Greek sense of the word. Its democratic elements exist not within the form of government, but rather in its processes and procedures, which depend upon the participatory rights of each citizen as a sovereign, voluntary and equal member of society. This was a deliberate design, reflected in all, not some, of our foundational documents.

The right to participate in local and state governance and to vote in both local and national elections is the essence of our democratic nature. But the nation is not a "democracy" in and of itself, where any temporal majority may decide which laws must govern all.

Absent the kind of structural limits inherent in our own Constitution, majoritarian "Democracy" as a form of government is always and inevitably a precursor to tyranny.

:thumbsup:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 08:43:34 pm »

Yes, it does!  There is a reason every news reader out there has been trying to convince us that we are a "Democracy" for a LONG time. I have taken it upon myself to correct anyone who does that in my presence and fully plan to continue doing so far as long as I continue to suck wind!.

"Communism needs democracy like the human body needs oxygen."
–Leon Trotsky
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien