Author Topic: The Decline Of The American Work Ethic Will Exacerbate The Oncoming Recession  (Read 665 times)

Online Kamaji

The Decline Of The American Work Ethic Will Exacerbate The Oncoming Recession

Americans have clearly gotten used to not working and have chosen to live off the pandemic welfare that remains rather than return to the workforce.

BY: ANDY PUZDER
JULY 08, 2022

The Atlanta Federal Reserve recently projected that second-quarter GDP fell by 1.9 percent. If its model proves correct, the U.S. economy has fallen into a recession with GDP shrinking for two consecutive quarters. Whether we are technically in a recession is far less important than the reality of the recession Americans have been experiencing for months. At this point, with ongoing historic inflation, Americans are also likely enduring stagflation.

The Biden administration’s bad economic policies bear much of the responsibility. So, the administration and congressional Democrats are trying to distract from the contracting economy and runaway prices by pointing to the supposedly strong labor market. They argue that the country is not in a recession as long as the unemployment rate stays low. As with so much, we’ve heard from this administration, it’s just not true.

On Friday, the Labor Department announced that the economy created 372,000 jobs in June and the unemployment rate held at 3.6 percent. President Biden has continually bragged about the supposed historic job creation under his watch taking credit for people returning to work following the pandemic.

Yet the labor market isn’t as rosy as the topline unemployment rate suggests. There are still over 500,000 fewer people working today than before the pandemic despite the V-shaped recovery Biden inherited from President Trump.

Yet, employers are desperate to hire. There are 11.3 million unfilled jobs nationwide. That’s nearly 2 jobs for every unemployed person. This obviously raises the question: why are fewer people working than was the case pre-pandemic?

Well, the answer is equally obvious. Not enough Americans are willing to work. The labor force participation rate remains well below its pre-pandemic standard. In fact, were labor participation today the same as when the pandemic began, the unemployment rate would be 5.5 percent. It’s only 3.6 percent because fewer people are working or actively looking for work.

Generous social welfare programs, expanded during the Covid-19 pandemic, help explain this labor market paradox.

During most of 2021, supplemental federal unemployment benefits and boosted child tax credits, distributed monthly, paid most entry-level workers more to stay home than return to work. A June 2021 study by economists at the Committee to Unleash prosperity found that a family of four with two parents out of work earned around $72,000 in unemployment benefits, more than the national median household income.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/07/08/the-decline-of-the-american-work-ethic-will-exacerbate-the-oncoming-recession/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I could have easily made (literally) $10K (or more) more than I did in 2021 by not working.

Call me foolish, but that just isn't me. It would be too hard to get back in the saddle if I spent a year sitting around, and there just isn't that much on teevee I want to watch.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Yep.  Was at Walmart yesterday and the temperature outside was over 100 degrees.

I engaged the checkout lady with a refrain "Aren't you glad you have a job inside instead of having to work outside?" she answered

"No, I don't want to have to work at all."

And she likely passes those thoughts to her kids as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

Wait till they get hungry...  :whistle:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Here's another example of this attitude of refusing to work except under their own terms.  In this case, it is shrinking the Deep State

Over 300 Virginia state employees resign in wake of Gov. Youngkin's telework policy
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/over-300-virginia-state-employees-resign-in-wake-of-gov-youngkin-s-telework-policy/ar-AAZnoBi
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Wait till they get hungry...  :whistle:
Uncle Sugar will make sure they don't..."he" incentivizes the "no work" situation.  "Free" phones, "free" cable, "free" food, "free" housing, "free" medical, etc...and then EBT lets them eat anywhere it's accepted because "we can't stigmatize those on welfare and they should be able to eat where/what they want".

Have you seen how big some of those of welfare/EBT/SNAP folks are?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online roamer_1

Uncle Sugar will make sure they don't..."he" incentivizes the "no work" situation.  "Free" phones, "free" cable, "free" food, "free" housing, "free" medical, etc...and then EBT lets them eat anywhere it's accepted because "we can't stigmatize those on welfare and they should be able to eat where/what they want".

Have you seen how big some of those of welfare/EBT/SNAP folks are?

Uncle Sugar is pretty close to cratering the dollar. When that happens, Uncle Sugar ceases to be beneficial. And hunger ensues regardless. Post apocalyptic raiding and foraging is a whole lot more work than a 9 to 5...  :whistle: