Author Topic: Chicago's 4th of July weekend death toll surpassed the Highland Park shooting.  (Read 2181 times)

rebewranger

Chicago's 4th of July weekend death toll surpassed the Highland Park shooting.
'I thought there would be more outcry,' mother says
Jacquelyne Germain - Yesterday 8:04 AM

Angela Gregg’s 4-year-old son, Mychal Moultry Jr., known to loved ones as MJ, was killed by a stray bullet while getting his hair braided last year during Labor Day weekend in Chicago’s South Side neighborhood Woodlawn.

She remembers him as a genius who was set to skip ahead to kindergarten after just two weeks of pre-school. He was full of life and didn’t call her “Mom” or “Mommy” but “Happy.”

Gregg recalls having to move mountains to get any public and media attention on his case. Like many people, she was horrified by what happened in Highland Park, Illinois, on Monday, but she couldn’t help but notice the difference in reaction to the tragedy that shattered her world. MJ was Gregg’s only child, and in the 10 months since his death, no one is in custody for the boy’s homicide and the investigation remains open.

But she was not surprised by the attention and support Highland Park received because it’s a predominantly White Chicago suburb, she says. Gun violence is so normalized in Chicago’s South and West sides, that it doesn’t receive the same concern, she says.

“I thought there would be more outcry for a 4-year-old whose life was taken away, and I just didn’t see that,” Gregg says. “We see it all the time, the difference in how Black and Brown children are treated.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/chicago-s-4th-of-july-weekend-death-toll-surpassed-the-highland-park-shooting-i-thought-there-would-be-more-outcry-mother-says/ar-AAZod47?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=12bc72fd9933450ca6a13a68ea441322

Offline Kamaji

It’s all about the racism of progressives/liberals.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It’s all about the racism of progressives/liberals.
YEP!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis