Author Topic: Auditors: Over 1 million F-35 spare parts lost by DoD and Lockheed  (Read 243 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Auditors: Over 1 million F-35 spare parts lost by DoD and Lockheed
By Stephen Losey
 Tuesday, May 30

The Government Accountability Office found that more than 1 million spare parts worth at least $85 million have been lost in a report sharply critical of how such components are tracked. (Trevor Cokley/Air Force)
WASHINGTON — More than 1 million F-35 spare parts worth at least $85 million have gone missing over at least the last five years, according to a new Government Accountability Office report criticizing the program’s supply tracking.

Auditors said that because the government doesn’t have its own system tracking those parts, officials may not truly know how many spare parts are actually in the global spares pool, where they are, or their total value.

As a result, “the full quantity and value of these [lost] spare parts may be significantly higher” than the 1 million tally determined by the main contractor, Lockheed Martin, the document reads.

And disagreements between Defense Department offices and the main F-35 contractor, Lockheed Martin, over how to categorize missing parts are holding up the government’s effort to create its own reliable system to keep track of the parts, the GAO report states.

In short, the F-35 program can’t know whether contractors are properly managing spares, according to auditors, who have tracked losses going to back to 2018.

https://www.navytimes.com/air/2023/05/30/auditors-over-1-million-f-35-spare-parts-lost-by-dod-and-lockheed/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Auditors: Over 1 million F-35 spare parts lost by DoD and Lockheed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 05:16:23 pm »
Well, I'd bet they are well loved and being reverse-engineered, if they haven't been already.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Auditors: Over 1 million F-35 spare parts lost by DoD and Lockheed
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 05:22:48 pm »
Johnny Cash ~ One Piece At A Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1i7YqD5MGg
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji