Author Topic: Ukrainian professor wins prestigious Fields Medal in mathematics  (Read 304 times)

Online Hoodat

Ukrainian professor wins prestigious Fields Medal in mathematics

Emily McGarvey  |  2 days ago

Ukrainian mathematician, Maryna Viazovska, has become only the second woman to receive the prestigious Fields Medal.

Often regarded as the Nobel Prize for mathematics, she won for her work on a 400-year-old puzzle about sphere packing.

The 37-year-old professor received the award alongside three other winners at a ceremony in Helsinki.

"I feel sad that I'm only the second woman," she said.

"But why is that? I don't know. I hope it will change in the future."

The other Fields medal winners were France's Hugo Duminil-Copin of the University of Geneva, Britain's James Maynard of Oxford University, and June Huh of Princeton in the United States.

The medal is awarded every four years to outstanding mathematicians under the age of 40.

After winning the award, Professor Viazovsk paid tribute to those suffering in her war-torn country, saying "my life changed forever" when Russia invaded Ukraine in February.  .  .

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-62051150
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

Re: Ukrainian professor wins prestigious Fields Medal in mathematics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 10:21:42 pm »
What paper or theory did she win the Fields for?  This is an intensely great honor.

Online Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-