Author Topic: When a shooter targets the crowd you're in  (Read 1018 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
When a shooter targets the crowd you're in
« on: July 06, 2022, 03:50:11 pm »
July 6, 2022
When a shooter targets the crowd you're in
By Joe Alton, M.D.

On July 4, 2022, parade spectators in Highland Park, Illinois were exposed to an active shooter.  This time, it was a 120-pound, 22-year-old man who calls himself "Awake the rapper."  Dressed in women's clothing, he fired  more than 70 rounds into the crowd from a nearby rooftop.  When the perpetrator was done, 7 were dead and 38 injured.  The event caused a dozen nearby municipalities to cancel fireworks displays due to the tragedy and concerns about further shootings.

Is there a way to increase the level of safety when attending concerts, parades, and other events?  As a medical preparedness advocate, I've written a lot about situational awareness: a calm vigilance that allows citizens to identify "anomalies" that may signal imminent violence.  That mindset will serve you well in these troubled times.  In that vein, here are some tips.

1. Always remain in a state of "Yellow Alert."  Yellow alert simply means staying calm and being aware of your surroundings and the people around you.  When people are behaving strangely, take note, move away, and avoid them.

2. Always mentally map out routes of escape in your vicinity.  Where's the nearest side street?  Is there a building or subway entrance that will get you out of harm's way?  If you don't know the immediate area, go to where you know the lay of the land.

3. If you have to make your way through or remain in a crowd, stay on the fringes.  The best seats at a concert may be in the center, but they also give you the least mobility.  If something happens, you'll be caught in the midst of masses of people surging away from the violence.  If you are, the crowd is deciding your movements, not you.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/07/when_a_shooter_targets_the_crowd_youre_in.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

Re: When a shooter targets the crowd you're in
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 04:53:35 pm »
Shoot him back.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 11:03:28 pm »
Maybe the solution is to have more cameras/drones watching events and looking for people climbing up buildings or already in position to shoot.
I can't believe the country is in the position it's currently in where people have to worry about snipers every time they have a gathering.
Certainly, Crimo could have been stopped if laws currently on the books had been enforced. It's still not clear whether after Crimo had some weapons removed in 2019 if his father helped him purchase before or after he had been partially disarmed by the police.
Whatever, maybe more surveillance is needed for every public event. More shootings like this and people in power will do some drastic, unconstitutional things.  Time to get these nuts out of circulation.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 11:27:31 pm »
No matter what, the correct answer is ... Shoot him back.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 11:37:08 pm »
No matter what, the correct answer is ... Shoot him back.
Shoot him back dead, the correct answer is shoot him back dead and then sanitize his name from every story because these psycho killers want notoriety and the notoriety is what brings out more. Also they should be cremated and ashes scattered to the wind, no markers to draw fanboys.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 11:41:47 pm »
Shoot him back dead, the correct answer is shoot him back dead and then sanitize his name from every story because these psycho killers want notoriety and the notoriety is what brings out more. Also they should be cremated and ashes scattered to the wind, no markers to draw fanboys.

Well yeah... I thought that was implied.  happy77

But nobody shot him the hell back AT ALL.
There's the problem right there.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 12:09:01 am »
Well yeah... I thought that was implied.  happy77

But nobody shot him the hell back AT ALL.
There's the problem right there.
I think it's a safe bet the next time there is a large gathering you will find a large number of people packing, legally or not, and they will be quite prepared to return fire and end the threat permanently. I have already decided to return my Makarov to the car whenever I go out, it's my smallest in size and least expensive if for some reason it gets confiscated. I'm in Californication and even though the OC Sheriff is easier to get a CCW from I can't afford the classes or a more modern concealable right now.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 12:17:04 am »
I think it's a safe bet the next time there is a large gathering you will find a large number of people packing, legally or not, and they will be quite prepared to return fire and end the threat permanently. I have already decided to return my Makarov to the car whenever I go out, it's my smallest in size and least expensive if for some reason it gets confiscated. I'm in Californication and even though the OC Sheriff is easier to get a CCW from I can't afford the classes or a more modern concealable right now.

It's just weird to me... At our little shindig, there must have been somewhere between 5 and 10 guys there practicing open carry... And I was packin and so was my sister. How many more than that I don't know. I know what would happen if we were attacked though...

I guess I expect that from any American gathering.  :shrug:

I know, I know... Chicago, right? Law or not there ought to be enough wise to the streets to know they have to carry.

It makes no sense to me.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 12:41:25 am »
It's just weird to me... At our little shindig, there must have been somewhere between 5 and 10 guys there practicing open carry... And I was packin and so was my sister. How many more than that I don't know. I know what would happen if we were attacked though...

I guess I expect that from any American gathering.  :shrug:

I know, I know... Chicago, right? Law or not there ought to be enough wise to the streets to know they have to carry.

It makes no sense to me.
Yeah the only time I can open carry is when I'm out shooting on BLM land, I don't know if it's legal and don't really give a rats ass because I'm not gonna give somebody the opportunity to take my goods without a fight. Of course it's been a couple years since I was out for a shoot. Did I say I have a love hate relationship with California? I love the climate and and landscape but I hate our GDamned one party rule, who knows if we get enough generations of family oriented, Christian Hispanics the tide may turn against the democrats. That would be hilarious if in the end they sealed their own doom with this uncontrolled immigration, wouldn't it?

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 01:46:39 am »
Yeah the only time I can open carry is when I'm out shooting on BLM land

Side note - I hate it that I automatically think 'Black Lives Matter" now when I see that acronym.   :banging:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 03:58:03 am »
Yeah the only time I can open carry is when I'm out shooting on BLM land, I don't know if it's legal and don't really give a rats ass because I'm not gonna give somebody the opportunity to take my goods without a fight. Of course it's been a couple years since I was out for a shoot. Did I say I have a love hate relationship with California? I love the climate and and landscape but I hate our GDamned one party rule, who knows if we get enough generations of family oriented, Christian Hispanics the tide may turn against the democrats. That would be hilarious if in the end they sealed their own doom with this uncontrolled immigration, wouldn't it?

I flat would not live like that. I have packed most of my life, and with few exceptions, legally.

I have known more Latinos than blacks in my life - Though that ain't saying much... not many illegals get up this way. We do have some that come through to pick cherries... On the whole, I have found most (Mexicans) to be good, God fearing folks.

It does not seem to me that those are the invaders. If they are like the natives and green -card folks I have met, then maybe California can work after all... (Not really... Just being nice... California is nearly doomed even now.)  :laugh:

:beer: :seeya: