Author Topic: Ex-Mayor Bill de Blasio cooked books to hide $224M in NYC Ferry outlays  (Read 490 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ex-Mayor Bill de Blasio cooked books to hide $224M in NYC Ferry outlays: audit

By David Meyer and Bruce Golding
July 6, 2022

Former Mayor Bill de Blasio used accounting gimmicks to hide nearly $225 million he poured into the city’s costly ferry system — and forced taxpayers to shell out as much as $14.57 for each ride as overwhelmingly wealthy passengers paid just $2.75 a piece.

Those are the key findings of a blistering audit released Wednesday by city Comptroller Brad Lander.

In addition, de Blasio wasted $66 million — including $34 million in “questionable vessel acquisition costs” — as a result of bad decisions by his hand-picked officials in charge of the city’s Economic Development Corp., the 50-page report said.

Although the EDC reported spending $534 million to operate the ferries during the six and a half years that ended on Dec. 31, auditors uncovered a total of at least $758.5 million in ferry-related expenditures — a difference of $224.5 million, Lander said.

The undisclosed expenses — which included payments to various vendors and personnel costs — comprised $181 million in capital spending and $43.5 million in operating expenses, “obfuscating the actual cost of the NYC Ferry system,” according to the audit.

“If you just magically put your capital expenses below the line, you don’t have to show them — even though effectively it’s the same total set of costs in the system,” Lander said during a news conference at the NYC Ferry terminal in Manhattan’s Financial District.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/06/ex-mayor-bill-de-blasio-cooked-books-to-hide-224m-in-nyc-ferry-outlays/

Offline Kamaji

And he'll be arrested when?

Offline mountaineer

Did any of this money find its way to his lovely wife? That seems to be his usual M.O.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Did any of this money find its way to his lovely wife? That seems to be his usual M.O.

Probably

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Let them swim across the Hudson River.

Cornelius Vanderbilt got his start ferrying people across the Hudson River in a row boat.

Maybe, private operators would do better.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.