Author Topic: More than 70 House Democrats join push against Manchin’s permitting reform  (Read 420 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 More than 70 House Democrats join push against Manchin’s permitting reform
by Rachel Frazin - 09/09/22 12:48 PM ET

More than 70 House Democrats are signing on to a letter pressing Democratic leaders to not include a side-deal with Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on permitting reform in a bill funding the government.

The permitting reform language was offered to Manchin to win his vote on the massive climate, tax and health care bill known as the Inflation Reduction Act that was signed into law by President Biden last month.

Manchin provided the critical support to get that bill through the evenly-divided Senate after winning concessions from Democratic leaders.

But in the new letter, the Democratic lawmakers are asking Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) not to include the permitting reforms championed by Manchin into a stopgap funding measure that Congress is expected to take up this month.

Without a stopgap funding measure, the government will shut down on Oct. 1.

“The inclusion of these provisions in a continuing resolution, or any other must-pass legislation, would silence the voices of frontline and environmental justice communities by insulating them from scrutiny,” they lawmakers wrote.

“We urge you to ensure that these provisions are kept out of a continuing resolution or any other must-pass legislation this year,” they added, in the letter that was spearheaded by Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.).

The opposition from Democrats is a significant problem as if the group follows through on the letter, Democrats might not have the votes to pass a government-funding bill if it includes the language backed by Manchin.

Democrats have historically opposed any changes perceived as undercutting environmental reviews in the permitting process, arguing that this could hamper the consideration of climate and polluting concerns.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Pelosi and Biden said they would pass permitting reform by October to secure Manchin’s vote.

Schumer has already said publicly that he would include the provisions in a stopgap funding measure, known as a continuing resolution.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3636073-more-than-70-house-democrats-join-push-against-manchins-permitting-reform/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

:laughingdog: :mauslaff:

Offline Kamaji

So, in other words, to formally stab Manchin in the back.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Does this mean that the Inflation Reduction Act will be rescinded?

Cash up front, always.  We're stilling waiting for Dems to fulfill promise to increase immigration law enforcement and border security after the 1986/1987 Immigration Reform Act.  They got amnesty for 11 million illegal immigrants.  We got nothing.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Shut the government down?

Be still, my pounding heart!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Killer Clouds

Shutting the government down is a myth. When they do their "SHUT DOWNS" all that happens is a paid vacation for a few workers. Alot of "Essential Workers " still go to work with no pay until the shit down is over. Then they receive their back pay. All the other workers that were off work will eventually receive their back pay too.

Online Hoodat

So, in other words, to formally stab Manchin in the back.

Hey, you knew they were Democrats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Number one on my bucket list.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-