Author Topic: New York Effectively Nullifies The Supreme Court’s Latest Pro-Second Amendment Decision  (Read 832 times)

Offline Kamaji

New York Effectively Nullifies The Supreme Court’s Latest Pro-Second Amendment Decision

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul ushered in the long Independence Day weekend by signing legislation crafted in response to Supreme Court’s recent decision.

BY: MARGOT CLEVELAND
JULY 05, 2022

The U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that the Second Amendment guarantees law-abiding citizens the right to keep and bear arms for self-defense, both in their homes and in public. On Friday, New York responded that it didn’t care.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul ushered in the long Independence Day weekend on Friday by signing into law legislation crafted in response to the Supreme Court’s recent decision in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen. Just more than a week earlier, the U.S. Supreme Court in Bruen had declared that New York’s prior “may issue” gun licensing scheme, which prohibited individuals from carrying concealed handguns unless they “demonstrate[d] a special need for self-protection distinguishable from that of the general community,” violated the Second Amendment. In reaching that conclusion, the high court stressed that the right to “bear arms,” by necessity, applies outside the home.

The New York legislature responded by calling an extraordinary session and then passing the bill Hochul signed into law on Friday. That hastily passed statute established detailed regulations governing a citizen’s right to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon and added restrictive limits to where such concealed weapons could be carried. Both aspects of the New York legislation run headlong into the Supreme Court’s analysis in Bruen—and potentially First Amendment jurisprudence.

Overturn the Supreme Court
In Bruen, in declaring unconstitutional New York’s “may issue” gun licensing scheme, the Supreme Court stressed, “to be clear, nothing in our analysis should be interpreted to suggest the unconstitutionality of the 43 States’ ‘shall-issue’ licensing regimes, under which ‘a general desire for self-defense is sufficient to obtain a [permit].’” The Bruen majority reasoned that “because these licensing regimes do not require applicants to show an atypical need for armed self-defense, they do not necessarily prevent ‘law-abiding, responsible citizens’ from exercising their Second Amendment right to public carry.”

Rather, the Supreme Court continued, “it appears that these shall-issue regimes, which often require applicants to undergo a background check or pass a firearms safety course, are designed to ensure only that those bearing arms in the jurisdiction are, in fact, ‘law-abiding, responsible citizens.’” Those “shall-issue” regimes, the Bruen court explained, “likewise appear to contain only ‘narrow, objective, and definite standards’ guiding licensing officials, rather than requiring the ‘appraisal of facts, the exercise of judgment, and the formation of an opinion.’”

Among other things, to obtain a conceal-carry permit in New York, an applicant must complete 16 hours of in-person live curriculum and two hours of a live-fire range training course. In addition to completing the forms and providing details of other individuals residing in the same abode, applicants must also provide the licensing officer with four character references and “a list of former and current social media accounts of the applicant from the past three years.”

The ability of ordinary New Yorkers to affordably access in-person training courses, in addition to any permitting fees, raises one question that will likely find itself litigated. However, a bigger constitutional issue looms with the law’s requirement that applicants provide a list of social media accounts.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/07/05/new-york-effectively-nullifies-the-supreme-courts-latest-pro-second-amendment-decision/

Offline Kamaji

At least until a challenge to the new laws is brought.

Offline PeteS in CA

The basis for the Bruen is that the overturned law was a significant barrier to exercising 2A rights. Consequently, these new barriers will be DOA, from district courts on up.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
PeteS predicts:
"Consequently, these new barriers will be DOA, from district courts on up."

Not necessarily.

New York's "SAFE" act wasn't DOA. It's still [largely] in effect.

So are Connecticut's onerous laws passed after the Sandy Hook shootings.
They're still on the books.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens with these new restrictions in NY state.

Online mountaineer

At least until a challenge to the new laws is brought.
Exactly. They can pass all the unconstitutional laws they want, but if they're challenged and get to the S.Ct., it's game over.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Exactly. They can pass all the unconstitutional laws they want, but if they're challenged and get to the S.Ct., it's game over.

The legal challenge is already planned, and the plaintiffs don't have to climb the long ladder to the Supreme Court again.

Federal Courts are compelled to follow Supreme Court precedent when it is directly on point, as in this case.

If they do not, then we are a lawless society with unenforceable statutes, and all Hell will surely follow. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The legal challenge is already planned, and the plaintiffs don't have to climb the long ladder to the Supreme Court again.

Federal Courts are compelled to follow Supreme Court precedent when it is directly on point, as in this case.

If they do not, then we are a lawless society with unenforceable statutes, and all Hell will surely follow.

B I N G O ! ! !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
PeteS predicts:
"Consequently, these new barriers will be DOA, from district courts on up."

Not necessarily.

New York's "SAFE" act wasn't DOA. It's still [largely] in effect.

So are Connecticut's onerous laws passed after the Sandy Hook shootings.
They're still on the books.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens with these new restrictions in NY state.

@Fishrrman

The far left northern and western states are so used to getting their way they think they are untouchable.

I hope the SC teaches them a few hard lessons.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Fishrrman

The far left northern and western states are so used to getting their way they think they are untouchable.

I hope the SC teaches them a few hard lessons.

Unfortunately, SCOTUS has no enforcement powers.  That is the job of our DOJ.  Good luck with that now!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Unfortunately, SCOTUS has no enforcement powers.  That is the job of our DOJ.  Good luck with that now!

@Bigun

That is true,but you just HAVE to think the DOJ would take their cue from SC rulings.

Or at least *I* have to think that.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

That is true,but you just HAVE to think the DOJ would take their cue from SC rulings.

Or at least *I* have to think that.

THIS DOJ isn't going to take any ques from anyone @sneakypete

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
THIS DOJ isn't going to take any ques from anyone @sneakypete

@Bigun

Probably true. America's only hope seems to be Rude Orange Man getting elected again.