Author Topic: Last Medal of Honor recipient from World War Two will lie in state at the Capitol: Hero, 98, singleh  (Read 729 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Last Medal of Honor recipient from World War Two will lie in state at the Capitol: Hero, 98, singlehandedly cleared seven pill boxes with flamethrower in battle of Iwo Jima

At the funeral for Medal of Honor recipient Woody Williams in West Virginia, Senator Joe Manchin said that Williams will be honored at the US Capitol
    Williams will lie in honor at the Capitol rotunda, one of the highest distinctions that a private citizen can be afforded in death
    Senator Manchin paid tribute to his late friend saying: 'I´ll miss him telling me how I´m supposed to vote. And when I didn´t, how I made a mistake'
    Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said in a statement: 'When Woody lies in honor under the Capitol Dome, it will be with immense gratitude for his service'
    Williams' daughter said during Sunday's service: 'I pray that each of us follows in his example and continue to make the world a better place'

By Associated Press and Paul Farrell For Dailymail.Com

Published: 17:34 EDT, 3 July 2022 | Updated: 02:29 EDT, 4 July 2022

The funeral for Hershel W. 'Woody' Williams, the last remaining Medal of Honor recipient from World War II, was held in Charleston, West Virginia, on Sunday.

Williams, who died on Wednesday at 98, was a legend in his native West Virginia for his heroics under fire over several crucial hours at the battle for Iwo Jima on the Japanese Island between February and March 1945.

As a young Marine corporal, Williams went ahead of his unit in February 1945 and eliminated a series of Japanese machine gun positions.

Facing small-arms fire, Williams fought for four hours, repeatedly returning to prepare demolition charges and obtain flamethrowers.

Later that year, the 22-year-old Williams received the Medal of Honor from President Harry Truman. The Medal of Honor is the nation´s highest award for military valor.

Following the memorial service, it was confirmed that Williams will lie in honor at the U.S. Capitol, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer confirmed Sunday.

A date and other details will be announced later, Pelosi and Schumer said in a joint statement.

Prior to Sunday's funeral, Williams had been lying in state in the West Virginia Capitol, from there he was brought to West Virginia's Culture Center in Charleston for his memorial service. He will be brought from there to the US Capitol.

Following his lying in honor, Williams will be interred in a private family burial.

West Virginia Democrat Senator Joe Manchin said at the memorial held for Williams in Charleston that the Medal of Honor recipient will lie 'in state.'

The distinction, according to the Architect of the Capitol, which oversees the building, is that government officials and military officers lie in state while private citizens lie in honor.

While lying in state, public officials are watched over by five members of the five branches of the military. Those who lie in honor are watched over by members of the United States Capitol Police.

Examples of those who have previously been lain in honor include Rosa Parks in 2005 and Evangelist Rev. Billy Graham in 2018.

Hershel Williams, pictured, left in 2018 and right, in 1945, was widely-known as a hero of the Battle of Iwo Jima, and even used a flamethrower (right) against his enemies while fighting on the Japanese island between February and March 1945

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10978637/WWII-Medal-Honor-recipient-lie-state-US-Capitol.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
May he rest in peace! He damned sure earned that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Online LMAO

May he rest in peace! He damned sure earned that!

Many times over
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mountaineer

Additional info in the obituaries thread.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Additional info in the obituaries thread.

Woody Williams dead at 98
By Jeff Jenkins
June 29, 2022 - 8:27 am

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — World War II hero and Medal of Honor recipient Hershel “Woody” Williams died Wednesday morning at the VA hospital near Huntington named in his honor. Williams was 98.

The Woody Williams Family Foundation posted a message Tuesday indicating the West Virginia native was in his last days. The foundation said he died at 3:15 a.m. Wednesday surrounded by family members.

“Woody’s family would like to express their sincere gratitude for all of the love and support. They would also like to share that Woody’s wish is that the people continue to carry on his mission.”

That mission includes the recognition of Gold Star families who have given loved ones in military service. The foundation has put up dozens of Gold Star Family monuments around the country. Williams attended many of the ceremonies in person. ...

Williams was presented with the Medal of Honor for his exploits on Iwo Jima during World War II. He took out seven Japanese gun emplacements, or “pill boxes” with a flame thrower. His actions gave Marines a foothold to advance. His heroic action came the same day of the iconic raising of the flag on Mt. Suribachi.

Williams told MetroNews in an October 2019 interview that he didn’t see it at first.

“I saw it immediately after it was up and the reason was Marines around me started jumping up and firing their weapons and yelling about a flag,” said Williams. “I was about a thousand yards away.”  ...

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/06/29/woody-williams-dead-at-98/?fbclid=IwAR1stYrHwaG3DEKN2OoNPUb-Ha6jWLtYn5O98HDL0p-uyxgaYOsoy05I2PQ 

Offline Kamaji