Author Topic: Win-win? EGLE project testing stronger pavement mix using recycled tires  (Read 592 times)

rebewranger

Win-win? EGLE project testing stronger pavement mix using recycled tires
Matt Jaworowski - 3h ago

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - EGLE is bringing a second definition to the phrase "when the rubber meets the road." The Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy is expanding a pilot program that uses scraps of old rubber tires to repave roads.

The department has used the new formula in recent paving projects in Bay and Clare County. Kirsten Clemens, the scrap tire coordinator for EGLE's Materials Management Division, said the projects would do more than keep those tires out of landfills.

"The scrap tire market in Michigan is in a transformation from managing scrap tires as a waste to creating economic value," Clemens said in a release.

Outside of small quantities of rubber that are too dirty or contaminated, virtually every part of the tire can be recycled. Besides being used in road mix, EGLE says tires can be repurposed into mulch for rain gardens and septic fields and as weights for construction barrels.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/win-win-egle-project-testing-stronger-pavement-mix-using-recycled-tires/ar-AAZaF2J?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e4751c5293034b55a6bd7b317d7505a7

rebewranger

I remember the buzz created when recycled tires to make reefs with was initiated.  That project lasted until the first hurricane. :nono:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have seen shredded tires used to cover playgrounds, so kids didn't get hurt if they fell down, too...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I knew this sounded familiar.

Introduction
Recycled tire rubber (RTR), from waste tires (Figure1) has been
used in asphalt by the paving industry since the 1960’s. RTR has
been used as an asphalt binder modifier and asphalt mixture
additive in gap-graded and open-graded asphalt mixtures and
surface treatments.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pavement/pubs/hif14015.pdf

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I knew this sounded familiar.

Introduction
Recycled tire rubber (RTR), from waste tires (Figure1) has been
used in asphalt by the paving industry since the 1960’s. RTR has
been used as an asphalt binder modifier and asphalt mixture
additive in gap-graded and open-graded asphalt mixtures and
surface treatments.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pavement/pubs/hif14015.pdf

Yeah, I thought they'd already been doing this for years.  Decades, as it turns out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: