Author Topic: Chinese firm bought North Dakota farm near US Air Force drone base  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Chinese firm bought North Dakota farm near US Air Force drone base
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2022, 07:06:36 pm »
That still doesn't make them our friend.

I never said it did.  But it does mean that there are no current limits on the ability of Chinese firms to purchase U.S. real estate.

To be perfectly honest, considering how the Chinese government controls most Chinese companies of any size, I would favor passage of a law that required the U.S. government to approve acquisitions of significant U.S. assets, including real estate, by any Chinese-affiliated company.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2022, 07:17:19 pm »
I never said it did.  But it does mean that there are no current limits on the ability of Chinese firms to purchase U.S. real estate.

To be perfectly honest, considering how the Chinese government controls most Chinese companies of any size, I would favor passage of a law that required the U.S. government to approve acquisitions of significant U.S. assets, including real estate, by any Chinese-affiliated company.

@Kamaji

I would personally take it a "Giant Step" further by fining any corporation that establishes a business partnership with China that includes technology and/or manufacturing technology,as well as refusing to allow American workers to travel to China to teach manufacturing or any other technical skills.

I honestly don't understand how the blockheads that run unions can justify approving the transfer of whole technology plants to China,as well as allowing the Americans who formerly worked in these plants to move to China to teach the Chinese how to re-assemble these plants and operate them.

And don't get me started on the Chinese Military Officers who are allowed to come to the US and attend technical schools and colleges in order to ship text books back to China and get an American education so they can go back to China and teach the skills and knowledge they learned here.

I do not know who in Congress signed off on this,but I am 100 percent sure it was senior officials from both branches of the corrupt government. These dogs should be tracked down by the government,and treated like the traitors they are.

The Rosenberg's are a fine example of what I am referring to when it comes to punishment for treason.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2022, 08:43:59 pm »

Back to the land in question, this is close enough to monitor the frequencies on which transmissions are going to/from drones, and even learn what inputs will produce what actions by the drones. That could evolve into a serious weakness for American combat drones in the future, especially against the Chinese in the event of conflict.

It appears increasingly, that drones will be used in naval warfare as well, and whatever systems are involved in control functions will likely be similar.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2022, 08:53:40 pm »
Well, that's just part of thee local issues, IMHO, Bill Gates bought up a chunk of that prime farmland out there, recently, too.

We own three tenant farms, but maybe a bigger threat to the industry is the plight of family farmers.  They are selling to corporate farming interests quicker than anyone realizes.

Don't get me wrong.....   I am as big of a captialist as anyone, but when we get the point corporate guys own the whole 9 yards, commodity prices are going to get manipulated to hell.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2022, 09:00:16 pm »
We own three tenant farms, but maybe a bigger threat to the industry is the plight of family farmers.  They are selling to corporate farming interests quicker than anyone realizes.

Don't get me wrong.....   I am as big of a captialist as anyone, but when we get the point corporate guys own the whole 9 yards, commodity prices are going to get manipulated to hell.
It's against the law in North Dakota to even have corporate farms, or for corporations to own farmland. Family farms are set up with trusts to keep their integrity and avoid death taxes. But yes, I see corporate farming as a threat, especially since there are a couple of Mega Ag outfits that would end up holding all the cards.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2022, 09:04:17 pm »
It's against the law in North Dakota to even have corporate farms, or for corporations to own farmland. Family farms are set up with trusts to keep their integrity and avoid death taxes. But yes, I see corporate farming as a threat, especially since there are a couple of Mega Ag outfits that would end up holding all the cards.

Good move by ND.

How are those farms with trusts handled when no one in the family cares to carry on the family tradition?

Do those farms have to sold to another individual or family?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2022, 09:07:08 pm »
Good move by ND.

How are those farms with trusts handled when no one in the family cares to carry on the family tradition?

Do those farms have to sold to another individual or family?
I would think so. Most farms here are handed down to a family member who has shown the interest, ability, and determination to continue farming.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2022, 11:19:15 pm »

@Smokin Joe

Frankly,I don't see how family farms can even survive anymore,give the insanely high cost of farm equipment,and the fact that it is almost impossible anymore to hire seasonal farm workers at all,never mind hire any that aren't drunks.

And there is no getting around it,the days of a guy with a small tractor plowing to plant seed with a bandana tied around his face to keep from inhaling all the dust,and a umbrella mounted to a fender to try to provide him with some shade are OVER.

I don't even see how family farms that have existed for generations can make any profits anymore. Sure,you can buy computer-controlled farm equipment that will do all the planting and picking,but if you have enough money to buy a couple of them,why they hell are you farming?

What I see are family farms shutting down as the farm children no longer want to farm,they want to work in offices. The farm land gets sold out to developers who are building houses for sale,and everybody involved is getting too rich to even think about working in the dirt.

I see the future of farming as mega-corporation farms being the rule instead of the exception.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2022, 05:19:16 am »
@Smokin Joe

Frankly,I don't see how family farms can even survive anymore,give the insanely high cost of farm equipment,and the fact that it is almost impossible anymore to hire seasonal farm workers at all,never mind hire any that aren't drunks.

And there is no getting around it,the days of a guy with a small tractor plowing to plant seed with a bandana tied around his face to keep from inhaling all the dust,and a umbrella mounted to a fender to try to provide him with some shade are OVER.

I don't even see how family farms that have existed for generations can make any profits anymore. Sure,you can buy computer-controlled farm equipment that will do all the planting and picking,but if you have enough money to buy a couple of them,why they hell are you farming?

What I see are family farms shutting down as the farm children no longer want to farm,they want to work in offices. The farm land gets sold out to developers who are building houses for sale,and everybody involved is getting too rich to even think about working in the dirt.

I see the future of farming as mega-corporation farms being the rule instead of the exception.
Planting rigs look a lot more like this, , usually with a tank trailer full of anhydrous ammonia in there somewhere. The farms have grown from the consolidation of original homestead blocks, usually through marriage or through a neighbor selling out and being absorbed. Additional acreage is sometimes leased from folks who don't want to farm it but don't want to sell it either. Wheat farms are measured in sections, a section being roughly a square mile. I have known folks who farmed as many as 17 sections. Nowadays, GPS setups keep the operator from missing or double planting land, so the best use is made of everything, from fuel to seed to fertilizer, and yes, time. Some setups will even steer the tractor.

Out here, in the oil producing counties, the farmers have a secret weapon: mineral rights. In some of the counties in this end of the state, oil has been found since the 1950s. For those who kept their mineral rights, in the recent boom, lease fees per acre went as high a $5,000 in some areas, a nice injection of cash that made purchasing the sort of equipment you see in the pic possible. It is not unusual for there to be a million dollars' worth of equipment on the farm or more, especially when you count in grain storage and a semi or two to haul it to elevators for sale. This is multi-generational wealth, in its truest sense, and operated as a business by family members who are careful who they pass it on to.
For farm families just starting up, they start small, and I have heard drillers in the oil patch joking (sorta) in bad ag price years that they were glad they had a job in the oil patch so they could afford to farm a while longer.  But that's in the more conservative western part of the State, where farming and ranching differ from the East side, and mostly dry land farming.

In Eastern North Dakota, there was a lake, Lake Agassiz, which existed when the glacial ice sheets backed up water from north of the Canadian Border to south of Fargo and beyond. When the Ice melted away, the lake drained off to the North, and it left behind some incredibly rich farmland, and one of the flattest spots on earth: the old lake bottom, now known as the Red River Valley, for the Red River of the North which runs through it. While you can grow wheat on that land, it is better put to use growing potatoes or sugar beets, and those crops have a higher cash value per acre than wheat, and require different equipment. Labor (mainly truck drivers) are hired for the harvest season only, and I know guys who work the sugar beet harvest as a way to boost their income every year. (Sugar beets are also grown in the bottom land next to the Yellowstone and Missouri rivers near the confluence).  Itinerant folks keep the weeds down, and often don't speak English very well--although some programs were set up to teach them and their kids, who will work alongside their parents, much like we worked the family farm when we were kids.

To get started farming, many will grow livestock, because the equipment hasn't changed that much in the last fifty years, they can get used equipment at auction or buy it from another farmer, and get by and build the sort of operation that they want, always with an eye on the next generation. If you are farming, you'd better be a mechanic, too. and yes, all spend some time with lawyers and financial planners figuring out ways to shelter their farms from the taxman, both while they are alive and after they are gone. Sometimes, that start can be on a relatively small patch of ground, and specialty crops are the ticket there, from squash blossoms to ship out air freight to five star restaurants to Echinacea for the herb and supplement industry, those niche crops can provide an income and for the fiscally conservative, a leg up into bigger things.

Some times that doesn't work, because as you said, the kids don't want to farm. I know of one guy who literally lost the ranch when his siblings were left equal shares and they (who moved to the west coast and never had a hand in ranch operations as adults) outvoted their brother who had stayed on the ranch, worked it, and even cared for their mom while she was dying of cancer.
They saw dollar signs, voted to sell, and he saw his way of life stripped from him because 1/3 of that operation wasn't big enough to survive, financially. So that happens, too.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:42:13 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2022, 06:37:20 am »
@Smokin Joe

Look into the topic of restorative farming And you might be surprised @sneakypete ... A return to great-grand-daddy's ways. They buy up land that has been decimated by modern farming and ranching techniques, often with little topsoil left, and begin the process of restoring it. Usually 200 acres or less, usually put into market farming or beef (though some milk)

It is much as you describe - Mid size tractors (often used/restored) multi-crop instead of mono-crop... It is really cool what these folks are doing. And it is truly bringing back the family farm.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2022, 07:10:27 am »
Look into the topic of restorative farming And you might be surprised @sneakypete ... A return to great-grand-daddy's ways. They buy up land that has been decimated by modern farming and ranching techniques, often with little topsoil left, and begin the process of restoring it. Usually 200 acres or less, usually put into market farming or beef (though some milk)

It is much as you describe - Mid size tractors (often used/restored) multi-crop instead of mono-crop... It is really cool what these folks are doing. And it is truly bringing back the family farm.

@roamer_1

Thank you for that post. Although the closest I have ever came to farming was driving by a farm,it warms my heart to learn there are places where the "family farm" is not only no longer dying out,but regaining numbers.

Reading this was definitely a bright spot for me.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2022, 07:13:23 am »
@roamer_1

Thank you for that post. Although the closest I have ever came to farming was driving by a farm,it warms my heart to learn there are places where the "family farm" is not only no longer dying out,but regaining numbers.

Reading this was definitely a bright spot for me.

:beer: