Author Topic: Jeff Bezos’ $500m Superyacht Stuck After Firm Decides Not To Dismantle Bridge In Rotterdam  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Republic World  By Zaini Majeed 7/3/2022

Jeff Bezos’ $500m Superyacht Stuck After Firm Decides Not To Dismantle Bridge In Rotterdam

The ship building firm Oceanco who had the project to build Bezos' yacht has stalled the deal due to the backlash it received from the Dutch people.

Following the public condemnation, protests involving tossing rotten eggs at Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, his super expensive $500m superyacht deal was in a limbo Saturday after Dutch firm decided it will not dismantle the historic Dutch Rotterdam bridge. Bezos was ready to buy the middle part of the landmark ‘Koningshavenbrug De Hef’ in Netherlands in order to take it down for this super luxury 412ft yacht named 'Y721,' the largest in the world, to be inaugurated from the sea.

The ship building firm Oceanco, who had the project to build Bezos' yacht, has stalled the deal due to the backlash it received from the Dutch people who lambasted the Amazon founder for fiddling with the historic bridge that was built in 1927, according to the Dutch newspaper Trouw.

More: https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/europe/jeff-bezos-500m-superyacht-stuck-after-firm-decides-not-to-dismantle-bridge-in-rotterdam-articleshow.html

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
A couple of things...ship builder up stream from a bridge that ships can't get past...seems like a good idea.   :silly:

"beloved" bridge... :shrug:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
A couple of things...ship builder up stream from a bridge that ships can't get past...seems like a good idea.   :silly:

"beloved" bridge... :shrug:

@SZonian

I also love the fact that this "historic bridge" was built hundreds,or maybe even thousands of years ago,back in 1927.

This is just leftists doing what leftists do,getting mad over someone having the money to do things they can't afford to do,and demanding they stop doing it.

As for me,I am reminded of the old saying that starts,"A fool and his money........"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@SZonian

I also love the fact that this "historic bridge" was built hundreds,or maybe even thousands of years ago,back in 1927.

This is just leftists doing what leftists do,getting mad over someone having the money to do things they can't afford to do,and demanding they stop doing it.

As for me,I am reminded of the old saying that starts,"A fool and his money........"
Well that the Dutch find this railroad bridge historic, and I guess it is if it was the first type ever built in Europe, it's their business and what we think doesn't really matter. I find this extremely funny because of Bezos's comments on the environment and globull warming, maybe the Dutch people saw the blatant hypocrisy of do as I say not as I do and gave Bezos a great big Dutch Master in the eye.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well that the Dutch find this railroad bridge historic, and I guess it is if it was the first type ever built in Europe, it's their business and what we think doesn't really matter. I find this extremely funny because of Bezos's comments on the environment and globull warming, maybe the Dutch people saw the blatant hypocrisy of do as I say not as I do and gave Bezos a great big Dutch Master in the eye.

@GtHawk

Can't argue with "what comes around,goes around."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's a railroad lift bridge:

Nothing particularly "historic" about them. I used to run freight trains over the one named "Upper Bay" in New Jersey, in and out of Oak Island freight yard. Looked almost exactly like that.

Hmmm....
This bridge looks to be large enough for ocean-going SHIPS to pass under without trouble. Is Bezos' yacht too high, or too wide?

I can't imagine a "yacht" too high to fit under that. Perhaps Mr. Bezos ought to have the upper decks removed to get it out of there.

Or... he could do this:
- Lower the lift span down to track level
- Float a barge under it
- Disconnect the suspension cables and move it out of the way until the yacht is clear, then put the lift span back.

If the yacht is too wide... well, next time consider how you're gonna get it OUT OF there before you build it...

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Nothing particularly "historic" about them. I used to run freight trains over the one named "Upper Bay" in New Jersey, in and out of Oak Island freight yard. Looked almost exactly like that.

Hmmm....
This bridge looks to be large enough for ocean-going SHIPS to pass under without trouble. Is Bezos' yacht too high, or too wide?

I can't imagine a "yacht" too high to fit under that. Perhaps Mr. Bezos ought to have the upper decks removed to get it out of there.

Or... he could do this:
- Float a barge under it
- Disconnect the suspension cables and move it out of the way until the yacht is clear, then put the lift span back.

If the yacht is too wide... well, next time consider how you're gonna get it OUT OF there before you build it...
Well since the article says Bezos offer to buy the center section I'm going to go with his yacht will be to tall. Sure it could be dismantled and reassembled, but it looks like the Dutch are telling Bezos to stick it and not everything is for sale. I'm sure little rich boy can find some other ship builder to make his not green ship that he will occasionally use while all the time telling us little insignificants that we have to cut back on our travel and AC because....Gaia you ignorant swine.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Hmmm....

A $500 million megayacht

But Bezos' ship appears to be sail-assisted, which means it has three large masts, masts that are too tall to pass underneath the bridge despite its clearance of over 131 feet.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Reminds me of Jethro Gibbs' basement boat in NCIS.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Hmmm....

Or... he could do this:
- Float a barge under it

@Fishrrman

NONE of this should be of any real concern for Bezos. It was the SHIPBUILDERS responsibility to make sure the new yacht had access to the open sea,not the client.

They had no business even accepting the contract without having it in writing that the city was going to cooperate with anything that needed to be done to allow it to move into the open sea. No doubt there are contracts that have been agreed to and signed by all the parties involved. What happened to them?

This HAS to be one of the dumbest damn business mistakes I have ever heard of. Bezos has standing to sue the HELL out of the shipbuilders,and not only get all his money back,but be awarded interest on it and damages payments to boot to pay him for any inconveniences.

He is as free as the breeze,but the city and the shipbuilder seem set to lock horns in a contest that might drag out for a long time if neither is willing to back off.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
RinVa posted:
"But Bezos' ship appears to be sail-assisted, which means it has three large masts, masts that are too tall to pass underneath the bridge despite its clearance of over 131 feet."

If they are three MASTS (as distinguished from superstructure), how much of a job to take them down, get the yacht out of there, and then do a final re-assembly somewhere else...?

Offline DB

There is the little detail of the half billion dollars going into the local community around this shipyard.

Bezo's can just say good-bye and they can suck it up.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

RinVa posted:
"But Bezos' ship appears to be sail-assisted, which means it has three large masts, masts that are too tall to pass underneath the bridge despite its clearance of over 131 feet."

If they are three MASTS (as distinguished from superstructure), how much of a job to take them down, get the yacht out of there, and then do a final re-assembly somewhere else...?

@Fishrrman   ...  Good question, but the article only referenced height was the issue.  It did not speculate on a solution.