Poll

What are you doing this 4th of July weekend?

Cooking out being with Friends
11 (36.7%)
Getting in the water to cool off
1 (3.3%)
Reflecting on my Patriotism
6 (20%)
SSDD
5 (16.7%)
I'm just glad pride month is over (pot option)
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 12, 2022, 12:29:15 am

Author Topic: What are you doing this 4th of July weekend?  (Read 9530 times)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: What are you doing this 4th of July weekend?
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2022, 06:33:21 pm »
Happily hanging around the house, doing outside whatever the weather will allow.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2022, 06:34:12 pm »
Sitting on my brothers porch on LBI enjoying the breeze off the ocean. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2022, 11:02:11 pm »
For any that don;t know, this is what a blue merle Ozzie looks like...

Kinda like the Appaloosa of Ozzie shepherds.

I'm so happy for you...looks like all the hard work is already done..all you have to do is lover her up...

I can't wait to see her....

btw...they are beautiful dogs!!!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2022, 11:05:50 pm »
For the past several years, we've spent the afternoon of July 4 with about a dozen friends. We all go to the retired dentist's home. His wife makes ham loaf. Other women bring various salads and desserts, and somehow I've become the designated fruit plate person. Will hit Kroger tomorrow after church to get the watermelon, berries and whatever else looks good. It's going to be hot, but dry.  :patriot:

I went to Krogers yesterday to get a few things..especially potatoes for potato salad...I couldn't believe it..they had NO potatoes....
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online libertybele

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2022, 11:13:50 pm »
I went to Krogers yesterday to get a few things..especially potatoes for potato salad...I couldn't believe it..they had NO potatoes....

@mystery-ak    Woah.  No potatoes??  Did you finally find some elsewhere?  I'm going to the store tomorrow to get potatoes, celery and onions. This is becoming beyond ridiculous!!

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2022, 11:26:12 pm »
@mystery-ak    Woah.  No potatoes??  Did you finally find some elsewhere?  I'm going to the store tomorrow to get potatoes, celery and onions. This is becoming beyond ridiculous!!

Yes...Mike and I went to Sams today and got a huge bag of russets..so we will be good for awhile.

Sams was like a zoo...btw
Support the USO

Online libertybele

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2022, 11:29:39 pm »
Yes...Mike and I went to Sams today and got a huge bag of russets..so we will be good for awhile.

Sams was like a zoo...btw

I probably should have gone today, but didn't feel like dealing with the rain.  I'm glad you found some potatoes, what's the 4th without potato salad??  :shrug:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2022, 11:43:51 pm »
Potato salad with Mayo or vinegar?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online libertybele

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2022, 12:21:26 am »

Well, the vinegar makes German potato salad, which I haven't made in ages and I don't use mayo in my potato salad.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2022, 12:26:03 am »

I make it with Hellman's Mayo but I do add a little apple vinegar, touch of sugar,  djon mustard, salt and pepper and celery seeds...included hard boiled eggs, green onions and celery....I do this to taste..I rarely measure anything unless I am baking...
Support the USO

Online Hoodat

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2022, 12:36:46 am »
For any that don;t know, this is what a blue merle Ozzie looks like...

Best frisbee dogs on the planet.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2022, 12:39:31 am »
I'm so happy for you...looks like all the hard work is already done..all you have to do is lover her up...

I can't wait to see her....

btw...they are beautiful dogs!!!

:beer: :patriot: :seeya:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2022, 12:44:37 am »
Best frisbee dogs on the planet.

ROTFLMAO!

Chewy must have been defective.

BEGIN SESSION:
I would throw it. Chewy would bring it back.
I would throw it. Chewy would not bring it back.
I would throw it. Chewy will go get it, take it to the very back fence, stick his head through, drop it, and come back to the porch.
END SESSION.

Then I get to go through the house, out the driveway, around the outside of the fence, to the very farthest-most point to retrieve the toy... With Chewy laughing at me.

True story, many times repeated.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2022, 12:48:58 am »
I make it with Hellman's Mayo but I do add a little apple vinegar, touch of sugar,  djon mustard, salt and pepper and celery seeds...included hard boiled eggs, green onions and celery....I do this to taste..I rarely measure anything unless I am baking...

Bacon.... You forgot the bacon. Like a whole bag fried and busted up in there... Other than that and the mustard (Mamma uses yellow mustard, and a lot of it) it's what we do. No sugar though.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2022, 12:50:48 am »
Oh, and dusted with paprika... Or Lawry's in a pinch.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2022, 12:57:58 am »
Bacon.... You forgot the bacon. Like a whole bag fried and busted up in there... Other than that and the mustard (Mamma uses yellow mustard, and a lot of it) it's what we do. No sugar though.

I do some times add crumbled bacon...the pinch of sugar is to cut the vinegar.

I start with Hellman's old recipe https://www.hellmanns.com/us/en/recipes/the-original-potato-salad-recipe.html

...and start adding....

Mom mom made good Potato salad..but she added pickle relish which I didn't care for... :shrug:
Support the USO

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2022, 01:01:37 am »
I do some times add crumbled bacon...the pinch of sugar is to cut the vinegar.

I start with Hellman's old recipe https://www.hellmanns.com/us/en/recipes/the-original-potato-salad-recipe.html

...and start adding....

Mom mom made good Potato salad..but she added pickle relish which I didn't care for... :shrug:

Yeah... no pickle relish over here either.  :shrug:

My world famous crap (imitation crab) salad is much the same, but elbow noodles, not potatoes, and heavier to vinegar.

Online libertybele

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2022, 01:09:02 am »

I put bacon in the German (vinegar style) potato salad. 

I use mustard in the potato salad that my family loves, along with Miracle Whip, a tad of Hellman's, onions, celery, boiled eggs, a bit of sweet pickle relish, a tad bit of salt and a pinch of dill weed here and there.

I prefer potato salad made with Hellman's and mustard.  I also like red jacket potato salad, with Hellman's and eggs, a touch of radishes and just a bit of onion.

My Dad used to make his with Hellman's (no mustard) onions, vinegar and olives.

Either way, I love potato salad.  :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2022, 01:35:45 am »
I put bacon in the German (vinegar style) potato salad. 

I use mustard in the potato salad that my family loves, along with Miracle Whip, a tad of Hellman's, onions, celery, boiled eggs, a bit of sweet pickle relish, a tad bit of salt and a pinch of dill weed here and there.

I prefer potato salad made with Hellman's and mustard.  I also like red jacket potato salad, with Hellman's and eggs, a touch of radishes and just a bit of onion.

My Dad used to make his with Hellman's (no mustard) onions, vinegar and olives.

Either way, I love potato salad.  :beer:

It is funny how potato salad almost invariably sparks mayo debate. LOL!

We tend more to Miracle Whip in our family... And I ain't Southern, so it's alright.  :laugh:
But it can go either way, honestly. I don't mind Hellman's, and I have bought it - It does grace my fridge from time to time.

But like a Sweet Tea drinker in the Pepsi/Coke wars, I can happily abstain... Because REAL mayo is made at home from fresh eggs and oil... And once you've ever had it, you'll not be much concerned with the difference in any other.  :beer: :seeya:

Scratch built potato salad with scratch built mayo will wreck you for any other.

ETS: btw, I LOVE potato salad too! Just found out about Kroger (mustard and egg) potato salad... gonna give that a whirl... maybe I can have it around more often!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:37:20 am by roamer_1 »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2022, 01:40:49 am »
It is funny how potato salad almost invariably sparks mayo debate. LOL!

We tend more to Miracle Whip in our family... And I ain't Southern, so it's alright.  :laugh:
But it can go either way, honestly. I don't mind Hellman's, and I have bought it - It does grace my fridge from time to time.

But like a Sweet Tea drinker in the Pepsi/Coke wars, I can happily abstain... Because REAL mayo is made at home from fresh eggs and oil... And once you've ever had it, you'll not be much concerned with the difference in any other.  :beer: :seeya:

Scratch built potato salad with scratch built mayo will wreck you for any other.

ETS: btw, I LOVE potato salad too! Just found out about Kroger (mustard and egg) potato salad... gonna give that a whirl... maybe I can have it around more often!

Let me throw a little kink in this mayo discussion.  No one has mentioned Duke's.  Try that before you settle.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:41:38 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2022, 01:43:37 am »
Let me throw a little kink in this mayo discussion.  No one has mentioned Duke's.  Try that before you settle.

....hmm....well, I've seen it in the stores, I'll have to give it a try.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2022, 01:43:45 am »

Gosh that sounds yummy

I’m going to have a salad I think. I’d really like a cheeseburger but I didn’t buy anything to make it.

I guess I can go to a diner
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:46:49 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2022, 01:44:36 am »

I will guarantee it is not as good as home made. The only reason I continue with store bought is that home made mayo spoils right away, which makes it inconvenient by comparison. And I don't recall that I have ever seen Dukes up in here anyhow.  :shrug:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2022, 02:02:34 am »
I will guarantee it is not as good as home made. The only reason I continue with store bought is that home made mayo spoils right away, which makes it inconvenient by comparison. And I don't recall that I have ever seen Dukes up in here anyhow.  :shrug:

ANYTHING is better homemade I don't care what it is.  We made homemade mayo when I was a kid but have not tasted any of that in more than 50 years. I like Duke's better than any other mayo I've tried.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2022, 03:16:34 am »
ANYTHING is better homemade I don't care what it is.  We made homemade mayo when I was a kid but have not tasted any of that in more than 50 years. I like Duke's better than any other mayo I've tried.

Correction @Bigun ...

They DO have Dukes over to the Smith's (Kroger). I got a squeeze bottle on my list to check it out. You might just make me a believer.  happy77 :beer: