Author Topic: Consumer spending fell in May as food, fuel prices stoked inflation  (Read 787 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Consumer spending fell in May as food, fuel prices stoked inflation
by Sylvan Lane - 06/30/22 8:46 AM ET

Consumer spending dropped in May as food and fuel prices rose sharply, according to data released Thursday by the Commerce Department.

Personal consumption expenditures (PCE), a measure of consumer spending, rose 0.2 percent in May but fell 0.4 percent when adjusted for inflation. While personal incomes rose 0.5 percent in May, they fell 0.1 percent after adjusting for inflation.

The decline in consumer spending came as prices rose 0.6 percent overall in May, according to the Commerce Department’s PCE price index, a gauge of inflation. Without food and fuel prices, the PCE index rose 0.3 percent for the third consecutive month in May.

The PCE index rose 6.3 percent in the 12 months ending in May, in line with April’s annual inflation rate, and 4.7 percent without energy prices. The annual increase in the PCE without food and energy fell to 4.7 percent in May, declining for the third consecutive month.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3542426-consumer-spending-fell-in-may-as-food-fuel-prices-stoked-inflation/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
When non-discreationary  income trends sharply lower, what do they expect? 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Inflation + FED tightening = increased cost of money + increased cost of goods = less discretionary post-tax income
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
The 2 Thousand Pound Elephant in the room that Pedo Joe's economic team doesn't want to remotely discuss, is how and when the real estate bubble pops after a barrage of interest rate hikes.

The last data I could find shows is the average American sadly has about 53% of their net worth in their residence.  Then think what is going to happen to the supply/demand curve of home equity prices when mortgage rates reach 8-12%.  My best guess is that home prices will easily drop 50% nationwide, and up to 75% in overpriced areas like CA, NY, CT, etc.

That same drop will carryover into the equity markets.  Rough seas ahead to be sure.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wrote:
"The last data I could find shows is the average American sadly has about 53% of their net worth in their residence.  Then think what is going to happen to the supply/demand curve of home equity prices when mortgage rates reach 8-12%.  My best guess is that home prices will easily drop 50% nationwide, and up to 75% in overpriced areas like CA, NY, CT, etc."

Gee, you act as if your prediction is gonna be a bad thing.

Au contraire.
It's exactly WHAT WE NEED to get inflation under control, and to also bring home prices down to where asking prices once more actually represent the "true value" of the property, not some phony pumped-up "market value".

Offline DefiantMassRINO

We need supply-side economics ... make more of the stuff we need in America, North America, the Western Hemisphere, and West Africa ... anywhere but China, East Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline libertybele

The 2 Thousand Pound Elephant in the room that Pedo Joe's economic team doesn't want to remotely discuss, is how and when the real estate bubble pops after a barrage of interest rate hikes.

The last data I could find shows is the average American sadly has about 53% of their net worth in their residence.  Then think what is going to happen to the supply/demand curve of home equity prices when mortgage rates reach 8-12%.  My best guess is that home prices will easily drop 50% nationwide, and up to 75% in overpriced areas like CA, NY, CT, etc.

That same drop will carryover into the equity markets.  Rough seas ahead to be sure.

Depression on the horizon?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

Depression on the horizon?

I think some form of economic collapse is inevitable. I am still torn between whether it comes in the form of'30's like depression, or Zimbawe/Weinar type hyperinflation.

The moment of truth will be when the government has to start making decisons on entitlement cuts.

Offline libertybele

I think some form of economic collapse is inevitable. I am still torn between whether it comes in the form of'30's like depression, or Zimbawe/Weinar type hyperinflation.

The moment of truth will be when the government has to start making decisons on entitlement cuts.

God help us.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

catfish wrote:
"The last data I could find shows is the average American sadly has about 53% of their net worth in their residence.  Then think what is going to happen to the supply/demand curve of home equity prices when mortgage rates reach 8-12%.  My best guess is that home prices will easily drop 50% nationwide, and up to 75% in overpriced areas like CA, NY, CT, etc."

Gee, you act as if your prediction is gonna be a bad thing.

Au contraire.
It's exactly WHAT WE NEED to get inflation under control, and to also bring home prices down to where asking prices once more actually represent the "true value" of the property, not some phony pumped-up "market value".

It may be a tragic wiping the slate clean.  Extrapolated, half of 53% would be an approximately total loss of 1/4 of the net worth of Median America.  I take no joy in any misfortune of our fellow citizens.  They are already struggling to save enough to live to old age.