Author Topic: Lab-Grown Meat: Investors Love It, But Scientists Question Safety  (Read 482 times)

rebewranger

06/27/22

Lab-Grown Meat: Investors Love It, But Scientists Question Safety

Bill Gates, Sir Richard Branson, Hollywood actors, venture capitalists — they’re all pushing lab-grown meat as the solution to world hunger and environmental sustainability, but scientists last week told a panel of experts they have serious concerns about the product’s safety.

By
Martha Rosenberg

Lab-grown meat — also referred to as cell-cultured, cell-based, cultivated, lab-grown and in vitro meat — is produced by taking biopsied cells from a living animal and using them to grow meat in a laboratory.

According to the Center for Food Safety (CFS), at least 70 companies are working on cell-cultured meat, but so far Singapore is the only country where the product is sold.

The CFS last week assembled a panel of experts for a webinar to address the many questions surrounding lab-grown meat, especially its safety and how the products will be regulated.

Panelist Michael Hansen, Ph.D., senior staff scientist with Consumer Reports, questioned the safety of lab-grown meat.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defender/cell-cultured-lab-grown-meat-safety/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Lab-Grown Meat: Investors Love It, But Scientists Question Safety
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 05:19:04 pm »
Could be a prion factory...and, unlike cattle, lab "meat" won't fall over sick and let you know something is wrong with it.

If it can't, at some point, run around on its own, it isn't meat.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 05:29:57 pm »
The same scientists that brought us Covid-19/SARS2, Killer Bees, and Olestra?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 05:30:47 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 08:18:02 pm »
Could be a prion factory...and, unlike cattle, lab "meat" won't fall over sick and let you know something is wrong with it.

That's right... Don't matter  the how or  why... it's just... wrong. Hella wrong.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 08:33:47 pm »

Is Mad Cow Disease the result of prions?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 08:36:32 pm »
That's right... Don't matter  the how or  why... it's just... wrong. Hella wrong.

I wonder if this is even practical?  Will it be another "Beyond Meat" that tastes like crap that no rational carnivore can eat?  Seems to me all they could really get from this is "pink goop."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 08:42:30 pm »
I wonder if this is even practical?  Will it be another "Beyond Meat" that tastes like crap that no rational carnivore can eat?  Seems to me all they could really get from this is "pink goop."

Beats me... It will never enter my body. No need. It's already sh*t.

Here's the real thing... Range fed meat is adapted though uncountable variables, from the vagaries of weather, to how often they run from predators to the widely varied things they consume...

The reason wild game and range fed livestock is worlds better than feed lot raised is because of all those uncountable variables encountered in the wild. How much less the meat evolved in a petri dish?

God makes meat. And he's the best at it. Leave it alone.