Author Topic: Monkeypox mutates at unprecedented rate with ‘accelerated evolution,’ study finds  (Read 1248 times)

Online Kamaji

Monkeypox mutates at unprecedented rate with ‘accelerated evolution,’ study finds

By Nika Shakhnazarova
June 24, 2022

Researchers investigating the monkeypox virus said it appears to have mutated at an unprecedented rate — much quicker than experts initially predicted, according to a new study.

The study, which was published in the medical journal Nature Medicine on Thursday, found that there were an average of 50 mutations in samples from this year when only up to 10 would typically be expected.

In the study, a group of Portuguese researchers analyzed the first monkeypox sequence publicly released on May 20, along with 14 additional sequences released before May 27.

Researchers discovered around 50 genetic variations in the viruses, a figure six to 12 times higher than previous studies of other orthopoxviruses, a family of viruses to which monkeypox belongs.

The study said the mutation rate may suggest a case of “accelerated evolution.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/24/monkeypox-mutates-at-unprecedented-rate-study-finds/

Online Kamaji

Ok, but so what?  To what extent is this accelerated rate causing this virus to become more virulent or less virulent?  If it follows SoP for virii, it will become more infectious but less virulent, meaning it will be evolving itself to a nothingburger.

Offline rustynail

Online Kamaji

They lie.

What is the basis for that statement?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Marked safe from MonkeyPox since childhood.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

Marked safe from MonkeyPox since childhood.

I don't know if your comment was 100% serious, but the vaccine that would be used for monkeypox was originally developed and approved for smallpox. So your comment may be correct, even though the vaccine you and I received was a different vaccine.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Kamaji

I don't know if your comment was 100% serious, but the vaccine that would be used for monkeypox was originally developed and approved for smallpox. So your comment may be correct, even though the vaccine you and I received was a different vaccine.

:thumbsup:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

That is what I meant.  I am protected.  Anyone born after 1978...not so protected.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:04:16 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Researchers investigating the monkeypox virus said it appears to have mutated at an unprecedented rate — much quicker than experts initially predicted, according to a new study."

Statements like this make me wonder:
Did all that mutatin' have any "intentional help"?
If so, from whom...?

Offline PeteS in CA

:shrug: Viruses mutate. It's the nature of the li'l beastie. :shrug:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

But let's rush that vaccine to market.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

But let's rush that vaccine to market.

Funny how practicing faggotry spreads a lot of diseases.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Going in the out door causes a host of complications.

Who knew?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Going in the out door causes a host of complications.

Who knew?
it's a shitty situation that so many decide to live with.

Offline roamer_1

And in that I am well defended against monkey-butt pox... And all those other diseases too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And in that I am well defended against monkey-butt pox... And all those other diseases too.
:beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

Genetically Modified Monkeypox mutates at unprecedented rate
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-