Author Topic: Paul Krugman Admits He ‘Badly Underestimated Inflation Risks’  (Read 653 times)

Offline Hoodat

Paul Krugman Admits He ‘Badly Underestimated Inflation Risks’

Joseph Vazquez  |  June 27th, 2022 10:42 AM

New York Times economics columnist Paul Krugman made another damning admission this past week about his sordid record analyzing economics as inflation continues to bite chunks out of Americans’ wallets.

Krugman conceded in a June 23 op-ed that “in 2021, U.S. policymakers, like many economists, myself included, badly underestimated inflation risks.” But Krugman attempted to shield his loss by wokescolding analysts who predicted economic calamity arising from President Joe Biden’s leftist stimulus policies. “Sado-monetarism is having a moment,” Krugman wrote. “[ S]uch people have just had a good year: the inflation they’ve always warned about finally materialized.” Krugman defined his arbitrary slur “sado-monetarist” as “a person who always seems to demand higher interest rates and fiscal austerity, regardless of the state of the economy.” [Emphasis added.]

Krugman attempted to further cushion his admission by juxtaposing his supposed virtue and the alleged lack of virtue of those who predicted runaway inflation under former President Barack Obama, a totally unrelated matter.  .  .

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/business/joseph-vazquez/2022/06/27/painful-paul-krugman-admits-he-badly-underestimated

Krugman should be charged with 'impersonating an economist'.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 02:45:02 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

Re: Paul Krugman Admits He ‘Badly Underestimated Inflation Risks’
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 09:38:35 am »
:facepalm2:

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 02:12:52 pm »
Some of us didn't need an ivy league education to see this coming.  Paul was also confident that home prices would not fall in a 2005 column.  So it should give you the warm fuzzies when he says the housing bubble is not on his top 10 list of things to worry about. 

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 02:14:57 pm »
Some of us didn't need an ivy league education to see this coming.  Paul was also confident that home prices would not fall in a 2005 column.  So it should give you the warm fuzzies when he says the housing bubble is not on his top 10 list of things to worry about. 

:thumbsup:

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 02:16:24 pm »
There is no living human being that has been more wrong more often then Paul Krugman
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 02:17:00 pm »

Underestimate the risk?

How about underestimating, or undercounting the actual numbers......  The admin's reporting of 8% annual is utter bullshit.

Actually it is more around 14-20% annually.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 06:01:15 pm »
There is no living human being that has been more wrong more often then Paul Krugman
Two words, Joe Biden, otherwise you are probably right if you toss out AOC, Kamala, Maxine Waters, Schiff.......

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 06:11:22 pm »
Underestimate the risk?

How about underestimating, or undercounting the actual numbers......  The admin's reporting of 8% annual is utter bullshit.

Actually it is more around 14-20% annually.
Yup, I know that 3.2% COL or what was left after the medicare bump really saved my ass through all of this. Funny how they increased SNAP benefits by 27% for the year though, at least I know the illegals have more money for food than I do

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 06:20:58 pm »

You took the words right out of my mouth @LMAO if Krugman has EVER gotten anything right WRT economics, I missed it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien