Author Topic: ABC’s Hostin: My Faith Means I’m Pro-Life, No Exception — But Law Should Not Be ‘Based’ on Faith  (Read 1275 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
ABC’s Hostin: My Faith Means I’m Pro-Life, No Exception — But Law Should Not Be ‘Based’ on Faith

Pam Key 27 Jun 2022

ABC’s legal analyst Sunny Hostin said on Monday on “The View” that while adhering to her Catholic faith means she personally would not have an abortion under any circumstances, upholding “separation of church and state” meant the Supreme Court should not be “deciding the law based on their faith” by overturning Roe v Wade.

Hostin said, “I think our viewers know this. I don’t believe in abortion at any time. I don’t believe in any exception to it.”

Co-host Sara Haines said, “But even in incest?”

Hostin said, “No, I don’t. I don’t, and that’s considered very radical for many people, and it’s because I’m Catholic, and that’s my faith. And, you know, the justices, there are six Catholics on the bench, and there will be two Protestants because the newest Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, is Protestant, and there will be one person of Jewish faith. And so this has always been a very difficult discussion for me, but what is not difficult for me is the fact that this is an activist Supreme Court, and they should not be deciding the law based on their faith.”

She added, “And even though I agree with Alito on the sanctity of life and he is clearly against abortion —”

Co-host Whoopi Goldberg interrupted, “He has never had to have one. He doesn’t have to make those kinds of decisions.”

Hostin continued, “The fact that he clearly is using his religion and wielding it as a dagger is pretty terrible.”

Co-host Joy Behar asked, “Don” t we have separation of church and state?”

Hostin said, “It’s a 1st Amendment guarantee we don’t seem to have anymore.”

Co-host Ana Navarro said, “Six of the nine justices were born are or were raised Catholic. Twenty-two percent of America is Catholic, and one of the bastions of our country is separation of church and state. I’m a Catholic too. Most of us were raised Catholic. The way I reconcile it is if you don’t want to take contraception, don’t take any. If you are against abortion, don’t have one. If you are against gay marriage, don’t marry a gay person.”

Goldberg said, “It’s not anybody else’s decision. I want to make things very clear. I’m very pro-life. I’ve never been anti-life. I want people to have the lives they want, but I don’t want to force anybody. I don’t want anybody coming in my house telling me how to raise my daughter and what she needs because they don’t know. I appreciate everybody’s religion, but I do not subscribe to your religion. I don’t ask you to subscribe to mine, and you do not have the right, based on your religious beliefs, to tell me because what’s next? As Clarence Thomas is signaling, they would like to get rid of contraception. Do you understand, sir? No, because you don’t have to use it.”

Hostin added, “Contraception is on the menu. Gay marriage is now probably going to be overturned.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/06/27/abcs-hostin-my-faith-means-im-pro-life-no-exception-but-law-should-not-be-based-on-faith/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Alito wasn't "using his religion and wielding it as a dagger", he was applying an interpretation of the Constitution.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"The Constitution is not a living organism," he said. "It's a legal document, and it says what it says and doesn't say what it doesn't say."

Antonin Scalia

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/justice-scalia-constitution-is-not-a-living-organism
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

The Dobbs decision was not based on "faith" - not at all, period.

It was based on the fact that the Constitution is silent on the matter and that the citizens of each state are therefore free to decide how and whether to restrict abortion, based on laws promulgated and passed by their own state legislators. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online cato potatoe

Democrats really struggle with the concept of federalism.  It stems from their totalitarian world view.

If these dingbats were capable of thinking about where laws come from ... basically you are legislating morals, and religion will always inform those.  You want dump on the church, fine.  Name a better source.  Probably some Greek pederast you would have cancelled for using the wrong pronoun.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
These gasbags and their playground logic. It's like the song tying game here - they take a word or phrase and twist it to their meaning, then take it to a idiotic direction that completely misrepresents the original.

Jr. High cheerleaders have better debate game than this.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

ABC’s Hostin: My Faith Means I’m Pro-Life, No Exception — But Law Should Not Be ‘Based’ on Faith

Every law is based on someone's moral code.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

:yowsa: And that has forever been the case.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
And one could argue, those moral codes are most likely derived from the 10 Commandments.

So in essence, all law is based on "faith".
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Democrats really struggle with the concept of federalism.  It stems from their totalitarian world view.

If these dingbats were capable of thinking about where laws come from ... basically you are legislating morals, and religion will always inform those.  You want dump on the church, fine.  Name a better source.  Probably some Greek pederast you would have cancelled for using the wrong pronoun.

They don't "struggle with the concept" they just flat reject it because it gets in their way. WE need to stop being nice and squash them once and for all.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:40:10 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
All I can say is that her faith isn't very strong if she can't say it's wrong to kill babies instead of going along with the crowd which I think she is doing....law or no law.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

And one could argue, those moral codes are most likely derived from the 10 Commandments.

So in essence, all law is based on "faith".

Same sex marriage laws are derived from the 10 Commandments?  Welfare and food stamps?  Spending for Planned Parenthood?  Definitely based on someone's moral code, but certainly not "faith" based.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Same sex marriage laws are derived from the 10 Commandments?  Welfare and food stamps?  Spending for Planned Parenthood?  Definitely based on someone's moral code, but certainly not "faith" based.
Well, not quite where I was going or what I meant, but I'll play along...

Uhm yes, antithetically speaking of course...the refusal to follow the admonitions contained within the tablets is a moral code, is it not?  How do you know when an atheist is in the room?  Don't worry, they'll let you know.  It's their "faith" to be anti-faith...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Exactly right.  Laws, especially federal laws, should be based on the Constitution of the United States, which expressly provides that laws need to be passed by the congress, not enacted by the SCOTUS. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Exactly right.  Laws, especially federal laws, should be based on the Constitution of the United States, which expressly provides that laws need to be passed by the congress, not enacted by the SCOTUS.

So, if we did that, how the hell would leftists ever get ANY law passed? /S

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

The Dobbs decision was not based on "faith" - not at all, period.
Exactly. It was a sound decision, based solely on constitutional analysis.

Wow, people like Hostin (and especially the rest of the harridans on that show) really are idiots.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
For years a Texas congressman (Ron Paul) tried to get a rule adopted in the house that would have required the author of a bill to cite the constitutional authority for whatever it was a bill sought to do.  The typical response: "Hell! If we did that we would never pass anything up here!"

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

The Constitution is firmly based in the faith described in the Declaration of Independence.

There is literally no way to avoid it. As Bob Dylan prophetically said, 'You've Got to Serve Somebody'.
You, me, and everyone else is acting within the bounds of someone's moral imperative.

Offline Hoodat

Exactly. It was a sound decision, based solely on constitutional analysis.

Wow, people like Hostin (and especially the rest of the harridans on that show) really are idiots.

Either you believe in the US Constitution, or you don't.  It's that simple.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

"My faith ... but ..."

Everything before the "but" is a lie.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org