Author Topic: Planned Parenthood CEO Johnson: Banning Traveling for Abortions ‘Harkens Back to Slavery’  (Read 599 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Planned Parenthood CEO Johnson: Banning Traveling for Abortions ‘Harkens Back to Slavery’

Pam Key 27 Jun 2022

Planned Parenthood CEO Alexis McGill Johnson said Monday on “MSNBC’s Reports” that state legislators who attempt to ban interstate travel for abortion would be harkening back to the days of slavery.

Johnson said, “Well, look, I mean, we are greatly appreciative of the White House and the administration doing as much as they can in every agency to be as creative as possible to get people the care they need and get people to care. We have seen such extreme laws being introduced in states like Missouri and Louisiana, criminalizing not just tele-medication abortion but also things like contraception, IUDs, perhaps IVFs, and that idea you couldn’t travel across your own state boundary is just such a bizarre construct, right? It just, obviously, harkens back to slavery. So, we are incredibly concerned about what might happen, and to have the White House and the administration thinking about all of the ways to get care to people is so important.”

She added, “We will continue to fight state by state through litigation, through some of these trigger laws, through proactive legislation, through ballot initiatives. This is now about direct democracy in each state that is actively trying to overturn our right to abortion in those states. That’s essentially when you lose the federal protection of the Constitution, you have to fight your way back in state by state, and that is what our intent is, to make sure that no one can stay neutral on this. No politician, no corporation. Everyone has to weigh in here. Because we believe, as you just demonstrated, the majority of people support having access to abortion being the law of the land, certainly the law in their states, and we are going to fight to make that the case.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/06/27/planned-parenthood-ceo-johnson-banning-traveling-for-abortions-harkens-back-to-slavery/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline verga

Why is that the card they always try to play? Seriously intelligent people do not fall for emotional arguments.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Kamaji

States Can't Ban Out-of-State Travel To Get Abortions, Writes Kavanaugh

He also nixes the idea that states could "retroactively impose liability or punishment for an abortion that occurred before today's decision takes effect."

ELIZABETH NOLAN BROWN

After a leaked draft opinion revealed in May that the Supreme Court was likely to overturn Roe v. Wade and upend U.S. abortion laws, one big question that hung in the air was whether states with abortion bans would be able to stop residents from traveling out of state to get abortions. The answer to that question is no, suggests Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Kavanaugh was one of four justices who joined Justice Samuel Alito's ruling, released today, in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization. True to the draft opinion, the Court did indeed overturn Roe, the 1973 decision saying the U.S. Constitution protected the right to get an abortion. Justice Clarence Thomas and Kavanaugh also filed their own concurring opinions.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/06/24/states-cant-ban-out-of-state-travel-to-get-abortions-writes-kavanaugh/

Offline cato potatoe

At one time I thought father's day was the least favorite holiday for democrats.  Guess I was off by a month.

Online The_Reader_David

Disallowing travel to another state to receive a service legal in that state is regulating interstate commerce and thus within the jurisdiction of Congress, not state legislatures.  Such provisions in state laws will be struck down for the same reason Roe was:  we have a Supreme Court with a majority who read the Constitution to mean what its says, not what some politician wished it said, and that applies as much to politicians on the Right as on the Left, to pro-life legislators as much as to pro-abortion legislators.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online mountaineer

I have yet to hear of any state legislature proposing banning people from traveling to other states for any purpose.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

I have yet to hear of any state legislature proposing banning people from traveling to other states for any purpose.
HE!! Dick's sporting goods is offering transportation from states that don't allow them for women (and presumably men) to states that do allow them. As if I need another reason not to shop there.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

How would they know what the pregnant women are traveling for? I assume hundreds of thousands of pregnant women cross state lines every day for whatever purposes.
 I've never seen any state border checking station where they check what pregnant women are traveling for, and I doubt any state will establish ones now.
There would be no way to enforce such a law.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have to agree with him. If they have the right to ban travel for abortions,they have the right to ban travel for vacations,or just pleasure trips.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This is just more hyperbolic nonsense from the Left.
The States can't ban interstate travel.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

I have to agree with him. If they have the right to ban travel for abortions,they have the right to ban travel for vacations,or just pleasure trips.
Which is exactly why no legislature will pass any such bill.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org