Author Topic: Bars, businesses, locals pan Hochul’s plan to raze their Penn Station neighborhood  (Read 362 times)

Offline Kamaji

Bars, businesses, locals pan Hochul’s plan to raze their Penn Station neighborhood

By Jack Morphet, M'Niyah Lynn and David Meyer
June 26, 2022

Business owners around Penn Station are racked with worry over Gov. Kathy Hochul’s plan to seize and raze properties in the area in order to make way for 10 new skyscrapers.

The state’s Empire State Development Corporation is expected to vote in the coming weeks to approve the plan that officials concede will displace 473 businesses and 128 households.

The scheme, backed by Mayor Eric Adams, would use tax revenues from the new office towers to fund aesthetic renovations at Penn Station, the nation’s largest transit hub.

Local merchants, who have heard only rumblings about the plans, told The Post they’re concerned about what could be in store for their neighborhood.

“This pub is my livelihood and my life basically,” said Angela Reilly, the 68-year-old owner of Molly Wee Pub at Eighth Ave. and 30th Street.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/26/kathy-hochuls-penn-station-plan-worries-business-owners/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I didn't realize there was such a demand for office space, considering the level of vacancies that are being experienced.

Offline dfwgator

Who did they vote for?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Who did they vote for?
If it's like Californication it doesn't matter because there are so many mindless drones that will vote for anyone that has a D by their name so everybody else is screwed.

Offline Kamaji

If it's like Californication it doesn't matter because there are so many mindless drones that will vote for anyone that has a D by their name so everybody else is screwed.

That's basically the way NYC works.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the source article:
"The scheme, backed by Mayor Eric Adams, would use tax revenues from the new office towers to fund aesthetic renovations at Penn Station, the nation’s largest transit hub."

As usual, the politicians do it completely wrong.
"Aesthetic renovations" aren't needed at Penn Station

What IS needed are more tracks down below "at track level", AND new tunnels both under the Hudson (2 tunnels in service since 1910) and East Rivers (4 tunnels in service).

The old tunnels are worn out, and "two aren't enough" under the Hudson for the amount of traffic they handle.

The best place for new tracks under Penn would be "just south" of the existing station, but a real project would involve demolishing existing buildings there now, and NOT dealing with "new skyscrapers".

A REAL Penn Station improvement project would probably take 10-20 years and many many billions of dollars.

But if the existing infrastructure collapses from age and over-use... that's it for the Big Apple.