Author Topic: Manchin ‘alarmed’ by Kavanaugh, Gorsuch’s votes on Roe  (Read 856 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Manchin ‘alarmed’ by Kavanaugh, Gorsuch’s votes on Roe
by Jared Gans - 06/24/22 12:03 PM ET

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said he was “alarmed” that Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh voted to overturn Roe v. Wade after testifying that they believed the case was settled legal precedent during their confirmation hearings.

Manchin tweeted on Friday that he was “deeply disappointed” that the court chose to overturn Roe v. Wade, which has provided constitutional protections for abortion for nearly half a century.

“I trusted Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh when they testified under oath that they also believed Roe v. Wade was settled legal precedent and I am alarmed they chose to reject the stability the ruling has provided for two generations of Americans,” Machin wrote.

Manchin was one of three Democrats to vote to confirm Gorsuch and the only Democrat who voted to confirm Kavanaugh.

The Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade on Friday in its ruling on Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization. The case concerned a Mississippi law that bans abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Six of the justices voted to uphold the Mississippi law, but only five, including Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, voted for the court to rule that abortion is not protected by the Constitution at all.

Manchin said he was raised “pro-life” but accepts that others might not share his definition of the term. He said exceptions to abortion bans should be made for instances of rape and incest and when the pregnancy puts the life of the mother at risk.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3535914-manchin-alarmed-by-kavanaugh-gorsuchs-votes-on-roe/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online cato potatoe

Re: Manchin ‘alarmed’ by Kavanaugh, Gorsuch’s votes on Roe
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 12:30:24 am »
It's time to get rid of this phoney in 2024.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 12:33:03 am »
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said he was “alarmed” that Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh voted to overturn Roe v. Wade after testifying that they believed the case was settled legal precedent during their confirmation hearings.

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies - foreign and domestic.  I don't recall either taking an oath to let unconstitutional decisions stand.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 12:36:24 am »
Manchin said he was raised “pro-life” but accepts that others might not share his definition of the term. He said exceptions to abortion bans should be made for instances of rape and incest and when the pregnancy puts the life of the mother at risk.

That's really beautiful and all, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether States have the right under Amendment X to establish their own abortion laws.  This decision was about the Constitution, not about how someone named Joe Manchin feels about abortion.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 12:51:30 am »
Democrat Communist Party sheeple act like SCOTUS just outlawed abortion everywhere. Unfortunately I'm trapped in Kalifornia and the abortion laws will not change at all here.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 08:43:26 am »
All the nonsense over this decision is not going to change much at all.  I figure abortions may go down 5 - 10%, but it will be business as usual for most of the country.  And the few states restricting abortion will drive folks to travel to an adjoining state to get an abortion if that is what they want.

We have not gotten back on the path of valuing life as yet.  Evil reigns in the USA.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 05:01:52 pm »
It's rich that Manchin is whining because he says they changed from what was said in confirmation hearings, well so what? Manchin and other politicians lie to the people every single day, and name just one democrats SC nominee that hasn't lied through their teeth at their confirmation hearings...certainly the last to seated did, and don't even get started on the last ones confirmation hearing where a new standard for lies and ignorance was set.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 05:13:55 pm »

Manchin ‘alarmed’ by Kavanaugh, Gorsuch’s votes on Roe

I'm alarmed at Joe Manchin's votes on all manner of things.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 05:18:31 pm »
I love being able to tell articles from The Hill from just looking at the headline....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 05:20:28 pm »
All the nonsense over this decision is not going to change much at all.  I figure abortions may go down 5 - 10%, but it will be business as usual for most of the country.  And the few states restricting abortion will drive folks to travel to an adjoining state to get an abortion if that is what they want.

We have not gotten back on the path of valuing life as yet.  Evil reigns in the USA.

Agreed; but this ruling leaves the issue in the laps of the states (as it should be). There are states with strict abortion laws.  I see this as a positive, and yes, women will travel to other states to get an abortion.; perhaps they will move to more liberal states; a win for the GOP.

At least the SCOTUS took a stance that should have been taken years ago. It also leaves the door open for the SCOTUS to rule on same-sex-marriage.  However, I anticipate that the leftists will pack the courts pretty soon.

As far as Manchin, he's a liberal. Those that thought he should come over to the GOP side need to rethink that idea. We don't need another RINO in Congress.

Obviously, evil still reigns in the U.S.A., but again, a little less evil now exists.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 05:21:30 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 05:36:58 pm »
I love being able to tell articles from The Hill from just looking at the headline....

888high58888 :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 07:20:35 pm »
Democrat Communist Party sheeple act like SCOTUS just outlawed abortion everywhere. Unfortunately I'm trapped in Kalifornia and the abortion laws will not change at all here.

At least if Obergefell gets overturned, you will be rid of gay marriage.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 09:10:10 pm »
And that is why Joe is not a Republican.

If he keeps it up, he may find himself no longer a senator from West Virginia either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 09:13:33 pm »
At least if Obergefell gets overturned, you will be rid of gay marriage.

Sounds good to me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 01:52:17 am »
Joe is a fake pro-lifer, just as he's a fake supporter of 2d amendment rights. He's a politician, who has said whatever was necessary to get elected
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org