Author Topic: Justice Thomas Calls To 'Reconsider' Gay Marriage, Sodomy Rulings  (Read 3083 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Justice Thomas Calls To 'Reconsider' Gay Marriage, Sodomy Rulings
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2022, 08:19:33 pm »
Personally, I believe that contraception and marriage are absolutely no business of ANY government. Those are personal choices, and government should butt out. Abortion is and always was a different matter because it involves existing human life, the protection of which is a legitimate concern of our local and state governments, but not the Federal government, as the Constitution makes clear by its design.

Good for you. Then move to a state that is like-in kind...
Personally, I have nothing against birth control. But I am fine with folks in another state seeing that otherwise. Just like I ain't much for blue laws (liquor)... But I would be alright with state laws requiring stores be closed on Sunday - and mind you: I do not believe the Sabbath is on Sunday. Still if them folks want to observe it that way, it sure wouldn't cause me to move. Liquor laws might - though I usually drink my liquor from a jar, and not much of that.

Different strokes for different folks. I would love to hear church bells once again of a Sunday morning, and the ten commandments back in front of the courthouse, where they belong.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2022, 08:21:04 pm »
Amendment X to the Constitution:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Exactly right.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2022, 08:28:56 pm »
The loudest and most obnoxious militant homosexuals, and their complict woke mouthpieces. (MSM, Hollywood, etc.)

I as a Pa Pa, should not have to explain two men kissing on TV to my grandchildren.
True....   The very reason I watch very little TV.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2022, 09:38:24 pm »
@Bigun

So,you too believe that it is the business of the various states to determine who can and who can not practice birth control?

You are a master at putting words never said by them into the mouths of others @sneakypete and I, for one, do not appreciate it even a little bit!

To rephrase what @roamer_1 said, and what I agreed with, is that it is none of the feral government's damned business! And, as @libertybele correctly pointed out, that leaves it to the states and the people.

In our constitution the STATES that formed the union spelled out 17 very specific things that they granted the federal government powers to do.  NONE of them have anything at all to do with birth control or abortion.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:39:16 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2022, 09:41:42 pm »
You are a master at putting words never said by them into the mouths of others @sneakypete and I, for one, do not appreciate it even a little bit!

To rephrase what @roamer_1 said, and what I agreed with, is that it is none of the feral government's damned business! And, as @libertybele correctly pointed out, that leaves it to the states and the people.

In our constitution the STATES that formed the union spelled out 17 very specific things that they granted the federal government powers to do.  NONE of them have anything at all to do with birth control or abortion.

pointing-up :yowsa:

EXACTLY right.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2022, 09:43:57 pm »
Amendment X to the Constitution:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

And don't forget about this one either @libertybele :

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2022, 10:09:50 pm »
And don't forget about this one either @libertybele :

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Thank you for pointing that out.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2022, 12:56:50 am »
Thomas has his head up his ass if he is opposed to the legality and availability of contraceptives.
The SCOTUS only decides the Constitutionality of a law. It isn't supposed to write them.

With that in mind, Thomas and the Court might revisit what level of government should be deciding what constitutes "marriage", what constitutes "obscenity", or 'unacceptable behaviour'.

At one time, those definitions were left to the several States to legislate, and not be forced to abandon the standards held in some states to acquiesce to the lower standards held in others.
This is a return to States' Rights, and the possible end of 'one size fits all' Federal concentration of power. It also forces the groups which now coalesce nationally to lobby every Statehouse and Governor's office to get their way instead of just muck up DC, which means their 'causes' will have to spend a bunch more to show up at that many places, and may be show up as smaller crowds.

Contraceptives, imho, are the single most seminal reason that abortion can be readily restricted (aside from it being murder), because the situation that many say calls for abortion can be avoided by the judicious use of Contraceptives. I do not see anything that prevents becoming pregnant being banned, simply because it removes much of the case for abortion.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2022, 01:15:02 am »

@Bigun   It is not MY fault you didn't understand I wrote a question.

[/b]

FWIW,I agree with you.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2022, 01:17:29 am »
The SCOTUS only decides the Constitutionality of a law. It isn't supposed to write them.

With that in mind, Thomas and the Court might revisit what level of government should be deciding what constitutes "marriage", what constitutes "obscenity", or 'unacceptable behaviour'.

At one time, those definitions were left to the several States to legislate, and not be forced to abandon the standards held in some states to acquiesce to the lower standards held in others.
This is a return to States' Rights, and the possible end of 'one size fits all' Federal concentration of power. It also forces the groups which now coalesce nationally to lobby every Statehouse and Governor's office to get their way instead of just muck up DC, which means their 'causes' will have to spend a bunch more to show up at that many places, and may be show up as smaller crowds.

Contraceptives, imho, are the single most seminal reason that abortion can be readily restricted (aside from it being murder), because the situation that many say calls for abortion can be avoided by the judicious use of Contraceptives. I do not see anything that prevents becoming pregnant being banned, simply because it removes much of the case for abortion.

@Smokin Joe

I couldn't agree more. I don't want a tyranny from either the left OR the right. What I want is obedience to the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2022, 01:19:51 am »
@Smokin Joe

I couldn't agree more. I don't want a tyranny from either the left OR the right. What I want is obedience to the Bill of Rights and the US Constitution.
:beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2022, 08:13:42 pm »
Personally, I believe that contraception and marriage are absolutely no business of ANY government. Those are personal choices, and government should butt out. Abortion is and always was a different matter because it involves existing human life, the protection of which is a legitimate concern of our local and state governments, but not the Federal government, as the Constitution makes clear by its design.
My personal view is the government has no business being involved in marriage at all, heterosexuals' or homosexual. My father was Sicilian, my mother of Slavic descent. up until 1963 there were about 10 states that did not recognize my parents marriage because he was considered a person of color. If you can find an officiant (secular or religious) to witness it you are good as gold.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2022, 09:40:28 pm »
My personal view is the government has no business being involved in marriage at all, heterosexuals' or homosexual. My father was Sicilian, my mother of Slavic descent. up until 1963 there were about 10 states that did not recognize my parents marriage because he was considered a person of color. If you can find an officiant (secular or religious) to witness it you are good as gold.

@verga

Just out of curiosity,what color was your father supposed to be?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2022, 10:49:43 pm »

I would draw a different conclusion to that @verga
Common law marriage is certainly a thing - and a thing that produces an environment for children.
Now, most of the time, that s what it is -- But there are occasions that require laws to be imposed upon that environment... To include dissolution. To include child welfare. To include recognition of marriage for the purposes of household and deaths.

There are many reasons that the government should be able to be involved in what is said to be the least governable unit -- The smallest form of government.

That being said, that should never require the Federal government (except perhaps in military applications)... And while the technical purpose is certainly there, it should be exercised only in cases of extreme need.

Offline verga

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2022, 12:31:27 pm »
@verga

Just out of curiosity,what color was your father supposed to be?
Being Sicilian he was exceptionally dark skinned. Three days in the sun and he could almost pass for Negro, he he had straight black hair and Caucasian facial features. When I was living in Maryland (25 yeas ago) I was told that he 'was not white". A couple of years ago I was told that anyone from the Mediterranean area are not "white". This was from several liberals trying to convince me not to be Conservative.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2022, 12:40:49 pm »
I would draw a different conclusion to that @verga
Common law marriage is certainly a thing - and a thing that produces an environment for children.
Now, most of the time, that s what it is -- But there are occasions that require laws to be imposed upon that environment... To include dissolution. To include child welfare. To include recognition of marriage for the purposes of household and deaths.

There are many reasons that the government should be able to be involved in what is said to be the least governable unit -- The smallest form of government.

That being said, that should never require the Federal government (except perhaps in military applications)... And while the technical purpose is certainly there, it should be exercised only in cases of extreme need.
@roamer_1 With all due respect. If they can license it they can try to control it. We have seen that with the 2nd amendment, oil leases, etc. IN NYS you need to APPLY for a marriage license, any thing you need to apply for can be denied. If they want to come up with some sort form that says a marriage has taken place already, fine, but nothing that you need to "Apply" for.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2022, 02:54:26 pm »
@roamer_1 With all due respect. If they can license it they can try to control it. We have seen that with the 2nd amendment, oil leases, etc. IN NYS you need to APPLY for a marriage license, any thing you need to apply for can be denied. If they want to come up with some sort form that says a marriage has taken place already, fine, but nothing that you need to "Apply" for.

@verga

Likewise, the opposite extreme: I don't know exactly... But MT recognizes a common law marriage after 6 months or so - With no license at all... With all the legal ramifications that would apply.

Live with a woman for 6 months or so, and for all intensive porpoises, you're married.

Still, I don't see how you keep government out of it.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2022, 01:21:56 am »
Being Sicilian he was exceptionally dark skinned. Three days in the sun and he could almost pass for Negro, he he had straight black hair and Caucasian facial features. When I was living in Maryland (25 yeas ago) I was told that he 'was not white". A couple of years ago I was told that anyone from the Mediterranean area are not "white". This was from several liberals trying to convince me not to be Conservative.

@verga

I will grant you that Italians/Sicilians were VERY "rare on the ground" in the south when I grew up,but I never once heard anybody comparing them to Blacks.

Come to think of it,I knew more Jews than Italians when I was growing up. Did have friends named DeFabio,though. IIRC,the father was literally a rocket scientist.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2022, 01:28:19 am »
@verga

I will grant you that Italians/Sicilians were VERY "rare on the ground" in the south when I grew up,but I never once heard anybody comparing them to Blacks.

Come to think of it,I knew more Jews than Italians when I was growing up. Did have friends named DeFabio,though. IIRC,the father was literally a rocket scientist.

@sneakypete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZUJKXs6W-4
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald