Author Topic: State-by-State Rundown of What Will Happen Now That SCOTUS Has Freed Lawmakers To Restrict Abortion  (Read 898 times)

Offline Kamaji

Here Is a State-by-State Rundown of What Will Happen Now That SCOTUS Has Freed Lawmakers To Restrict Abortion

Most states are unlikely to enact bans, but 22 either have them already or probably will soon.

JACOB SULLUM

By repudiating Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that said women have a constitutional right to terminate a pregnancy, the Supreme Court has freed states to set their own abortion policies. But the impact of the new leeway allowed by the Court's decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization will vary widely across the country. While severe restrictions will be enacted or take effect in many states, abortion will remain legal in most.

Thirteen states have "trigger" bans that are designed to take effect after Roe is overturned. Some of those states, plus others, have enacted laws that were enjoined based on Roe and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, the 1992 decision that reaffirmed Roe's "central holding." Several states do not currently have bans but are expected to enact them in response to Dobbs, which overturned both of those precedents.

Some states never repealed pre-Roe bans. Politico notes that "court action will likely be necessary to determine whether states' pre-Roe abortion bans can take effect or enjoined laws restricting access to the procedure can be lifted, a process legal experts anticipate could take weeks to months."

Existing statutes range from bans like the Mississippi law upheld in Dobbs, which prohibits abortion after 15 weeks of gestation, to nearly complete prohibitions like the trigger laws. In between are "heartbeat" laws that prohibit abortion after fetal cardiac activity can be detected, which typically happens around six weeks into a pregnancy, when women may not even realize they are pregnant.

In terms of practical impact, the cutoff makes a huge difference. Even states that generally allow abortion often restrict it after "viability," the point at which a fetus can survive outside the womb. The dividing line for viability is generally placed around 24 weeks of gestation. In 2019, according to data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), just 1 percent of abortions in the United States were performed at 21 weeks or later. Only 4 percent were performed after 15 weeks. But 57 percent were performed after six weeks, and some of the rest also would be covered by the "heartbeat" laws.

Most states are unlikely to ban abortion. In some, abortion rights are protected by statute, by judicial interpretations of state constitutions, or both. In others, there is not enough political support to enact new restrictions.

Here is a state-by-state rundown of what we can expect now that the Supreme Court has decided the Constitution does not guarantee a right to abortion after all. Red indicates the 22 states that are certain or likely to soon impose or start enforcing new restrictions on abortion, ranging from moderate to severe. Green indicates the 23 states where abortion will remain broadly legal. Blue indicates the five states where new restrictions are unlikely in the short term but are possible in the longer term, depending on electoral outcomes or judicial decisions.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/06/24/here-is-a-state-by-state-rundown-of-what-will-happen-now-that-scotus-has-freed-lawmakers-to-restrict-abortion/

Online Hoodat

It would be nice to get abortion outlawed here in Georgia.  Maybe that would stop liberal Californians and New Yorkers from moving here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It would be nice to get abortion outlawed here in Georgia.  Maybe that would stop liberal Californians and New Yorkers from moving here.

IMHO it already is outlawed in Georgia. Unless it has been formally repealed, the 1973 law that Roe sidelined is now back in play.  @Hoodat
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

IMHO it already is outlawed in Georgia. Unless it has been formally repealed, the 1973 law that Roe sidelined is now back in play.  @Hoodat

According to the article, in Georgia there is a heartbeat law that severely restricts it.  The original Roe v. Wade statute was in Texas, I believe.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
According to the article, in Georgia there is a heartbeat law that severely restricts it.  The original Roe v. Wade statute was in Texas, I believe.

Whatever the law was in Georgia prior to Roe is again the law today unless the Georgia legislature has since repealed it.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Whatever the law was in Georgia prior to Roe is again the law today unless the Georgia legislature has since repealed it.

Which is what the article implies.  Yeesh.  Why are you being so combative?

From the article:
Georgia

Abortion will be severely restricted. A 2019 law prohibits abortion after fetal cardiac activity can be detected, around six weeks into a pregnancy. The law was scheduled to take effect at the beginning of 2020, but it was blocked by a federal judge based on the Supreme Court's pre-Dobbs abortion precedents. In 2019, according to the CDC's numbers, 56 percent of abortions in Georgia were performed after six weeks; 44 percent were performed at six weeks or earlier, and some of those abortions also would be covered by the state's ban.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Which is what the article implies.  Yeesh.  Why are you being so combative?

From the article:

I'm not being combative at all.  Just pointing out some things that some may not know.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

But 57 percent were performed after six weeks, and some of the rest also would be covered by the "heartbeat" laws.

A good starting point.

In the end the public has to be educated that women still have the freedom of "choice". They can have sex with whomever they wish. They just don't get to destroy the life of a child that is the consequence of the choice they made. If women don't want to be pregnant don't have sex.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Kamaji

I'm not being combative at all.  Just pointing out some things that some may not know.

Fair enough; maybe I’m just overly tired. 

Online Hoodat

Doe v. Bolton was the sister case to Roe v. Wade, challenging the abortion law here in Georgia.  I hope @Bigun is correct about that law still being on the books.  Will have to do some research.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Let those legislators and governors go on the record instead of hiding behind Roe vs Wade
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington