Author Topic: Jobless claims fall to 229,000 as labor market retains strength  (Read 511 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jobless claims fall to 229,000 as labor market retains strength
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter |
 | June 23, 2022 08:33 AM

The number of new applications for unemployment benefits dropped by 2,000 last week to 229,000 as the Federal Reserve hikes interest rates to rein in explosive inflation.

While initial jobless claims were largely below 200,000 from February until May, they have been pushing slightly higher over the past few weeks as fears grow that the Fed’s historic tightening could knock the economy into a recession.

Around this time in June of 2021, new claims were averaging over 400,000 per week. The decline since then shows how far the country’s economic recovery has come since the pandemic.

"We think claims have probably found a new floor around the 225k mark, still a relatively low level but above the first quarter average. While labor markets remain tight and we expect job growth to continue even as the economy slows, reports of layoffs in some sectors are on the rise," economists with Oxford Economics said.

The lowest number of recent jobless claims was the 166,000 tallied in mid-March. That represents the fewest number of new weekly claims since 1968.

The persistence of extremely high inflation has raised fears that the Fed might tighten monetary policy enough to tip the country into recession. Many economists thought inflation had peaked when it fell to an 8.3% annual rate in April. But then May’s consumer price index report showed inflation rising again to 8.6%, the highest since 1981.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/jobless-claims-labor-market-strength
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Re: Jobless claims fall to 229,000 as labor market retains strength
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 01:56:39 pm »
Labor Force Participation Rate - 62.3%
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 04:20:45 pm »
How are they counting that, because I have no doubt that more than a few of the jobs being held are second jobs by people that can't survive on just one. Hell if I wasn't disabled I would be looking for a job to help survive, but I'm worried that social sescrewity would use it as an excuse to reduce my payments.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 05:17:54 pm »
Labor Force Participation Rate = the number of people eligible to work who are working.  Taking the inverse of that, 37.3 % of people eligible to work are choosing not to (e.g. young adults in college full time, stay-at-home moms and dads, people sitting on their asses collecting unemployment, welfare parents, etc.)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 05:19:26 pm »

And anecedcotally from what I have seen, that number seems generous.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 05:22:28 pm »
Lies. Damn lies and statistics from the Biden Admin.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 05:24:15 pm »
It was above 66% when Bush was in office.  It fell below 63% under Obama.  Trump got it back up to 63.4% before the Democrats ordered everyone not to work.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-