Author Topic: The Secret to Falling Asleep Super-Fast Lies in Your Feet. Yep.  (Read 1070 times)

Offline libertybele

Sigh... I can't remember the last time I slept for an entire night. I'm doubtful of the magnesium; I get plenty in my multi-vitamin.

The Secret to Falling Asleep Super-Fast Lies in Your Feet. Yep.

editor@purewow.com (PureWow)
Sun, June 19, 2022, 9:00 AM

An unexpected plus of a girlfriend sleepover: My bestie gave me a few pumps of magnesium oil to rub into my feet before getting into bed, and I drifted off, fast. I didn’t think much of it until a few days later when I had a massage and spied my bodyworker mix a few pumps of magnesium oil onto my neck and shoulders. Then, doing my wellness writer due diligence (i.e. searching social media), I discovered #magnesiumoil has more than 34,000 mentions on Instagram. What gives? I decided to investigate this sudden gusher of magnesium oil—while undertaking my own nightly pre-bed ritual at home...............

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/secret-falling-asleep-super-fast-190000717.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

Re: The Secret to Falling Asleep Super-Fast Lies in Your Feet. Yep.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 03:19:48 am »
Sigh... I can't remember the last time I slept for an entire night. I'm doubtful of the magnesium; I get plenty in my multi-vitamin.

@libertybele
Magnesium is a big deal for me... For one thing, it is a natural ex-lax... Keeps your mud moving along nicely... If you have problems that way, it could be indicative of needing magnesium.

Secondly, it is a calming influence.

I find it hard to digest magnesium in multi-vitamins. They tend not to be very soluble unless delivered from more organic means. I use Natural Calm, which is a magnesium supplement... A fairly heaped silverware teaspoon in hot water (as a sort of tea) is the most effective I have... And it will make you drowsy. You will probably fall asleep if you take the tea before bed. But it is not long lasting - It will not provide long sleep.

And best of all, it is pretty self regulating... If it gives you the squirts, you probably have enough for a while.

So I alternate Natural Calm with several other remedies for sleep - The best of which is Sleepytime tea (the heavy duty one with the echinacea ) , followed by Golden Milk (Turmeric and ginger w/ black pepper), with Natural calm being a distant third... BUT there is no denying that being all the way up on magnesium is very necessary to restful sleep and will stop the jitters flat. Also stops muscle ache in many cases.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 03:22:09 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 03:24:43 am »
Addendum:

If you intend to use Natural Calm, I would highly recommend the orange flavored one... The lemon flavored tastes like you are chugging Lemon Pledge. Jussayin.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:22:54 am »
I've never heard of magnesium oil, but do have a bottle of supplement tablets. Besides digestion, I believe they're good for bone health.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 10:35:17 am »
I’m going to have this. I have reallly bad insomnia
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 12:30:28 pm »
Addendum:

If you intend to use Natural Calm, I would highly recommend the orange flavored one... The lemon flavored tastes like you are chugging Lemon Pledge. Jussayin.

....hmmm.... I think I try a topical.  Farmer Joe's has all kinds of natural essential oils and Mother Earth does as well.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 09:16:01 pm »
....hmmm.... I think I try a topical.  Farmer Joe's has all kinds of natural essential oils and Mother Earth does as well.

By the way... If what you are looking for is something to encourage going to sleep, Magnesium will help with that.

But if you are looking for long sleep, Golden Milk is the best I can offer, particularly if you tend to awaken from pain. It is not uncommon for me to flash awake in pain that says I must move now... Followed by a half hour of shaking my giggles out... Snap, crackle, and pop for about a half hour before I am alright to go back to bed. In fact, that is my normal morning too, regardless.

Golden Milk is the only non-prescription remedy that works for me in that regard.

You will need fresh turmeric, fresh ginger, black pepper, (red cap or better) milk, and just a bit of oil (I use coconut for this)

Put a bit of oil in the bottom of a pot and get it warming. Start with a quarter inch coin each of a thumb-sized turmeric root and ginger root. rough chop the coins and throw them in the oil. The intent is not to fry them, but to come close. Like a carrot, the roots will soften until you can mash them finely. Once that has occurred:

Measure milk according to the cup that the mixture will inevitably be served in, and pour the milk into the mixture of mashed roots. increase heat and stir continually - careful not to form a film on the milk.

When the turmeric blooms into the milk, it will gain a distinct yellow color. That is what you want, and is enough. you do not need a full boil. Add a few shakes of pepper - visibly blackening 25% of the top.

Pepper supercharges turmeric. Pour off into a cup, maybe add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg if you like.

Turmeric supplies lasting pain relief and encourages blood flow to capillaries.
If one coin of each is not enough try two or three. But I can (on occasion) get real sleep all night long (providing magnesium is on the up and up so that muscle pain is reduced too), and often just waking to a sore shoulder and hip, to roll over the other way and go right back to sleep.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 10:16:45 pm »
By the way... If what you are looking for is something to encourage going to sleep, Magnesium will help with that.

But if you are looking for long sleep, Golden Milk is the best I can offer, particularly if you tend to awaken from pain. It is not uncommon for me to flash awake in pain that says I must move now... Followed by a half hour of shaking my giggles out... Snap, crackle, and pop for about a half hour before I am alright to go back to bed. In fact, that is my normal morning too, regardless.

Golden Milk is the only non-prescription remedy that works for me in that regard.

You will need fresh turmeric, fresh ginger, black pepper, (red cap or better) milk, and just a bit of oil (I use coconut for this)

Put a bit of oil in the bottom of a pot and get it warming. Start with a quarter inch coin each of a thumb-sized turmeric root and ginger root. rough chop the coins and throw them in the oil. The intent is not to fry them, but to come close. Like a carrot, the roots will soften until you can mash them finely. Once that has occurred:

Measure milk according to the cup that the mixture will inevitably be served in, and pour the milk into the mixture of mashed roots. increase heat and stir continually - careful not to form a film on the milk.

When the turmeric blooms into the milk, it will gain a distinct yellow color. That is what you want, and is enough. you do not need a full boil. Add a few shakes of pepper - visibly blackening 25% of the top.

Pepper supercharges turmeric. Pour off into a cup, maybe add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg if you like.

Turmeric supplies lasting pain relief and encourages blood flow to capillaries.
If one coin of each is not enough try two or three. But I can (on occasion) get real sleep all night long (providing magnesium is on the up and up so that muscle pain is reduced too), and often just waking to a sore shoulder and hip, to roll over the other way and go right back to sleep.

I've tried to use turmeric in the past and have had a reaction.  I have to be careful of what I take because of the heart -- I'm between a rock and a hard place. I can't even take a darn aspirin or ibuprofen because of other ailments I have.

Nope, I'm not doing this aging thing very well at all.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 10:29:16 pm »
I've tried to use turmeric in the past and have had a reaction.  I have to be careful of what I take because of the heart -- I'm between a rock and a hard place. I can't even take a darn aspirin or ibuprofen because of other ailments I have.

Nope, I'm not doing this aging thing very well at all.

Yeah... me neither. Smoke last summer kept me locked up in the house... Used to never bother me. I can't remember if it was last spring or the spring before that when I felled the trees up in the holler and used an Alaskan mill to build that tool shed... Now I am right back where I started - It will be all of this summer just working off the Pillsbury Doughboy suit ... again.... sommore... I'll be lucky to get anything done up there this year at all before the snow flies.

Guess I can't complain... None of me works so well anymore, but I ain't got no pieces falling off yet.  :laugh:

Try the sleepytime tea with the echinacea - Seriously twice the bang of regular sleepytime... and as you know echinacea is good for pain.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 10:34:30 pm »
Lol, not reading the news when you are a die-hard conservative helps too.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 10:50:14 pm »
Lol, not reading the news when you are a die-hard conservative helps too.

Yes, there's definitely a lot of truth in that.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 10:51:26 pm »
Yeah... me neither. Smoke last summer kept me locked up in the house... Used to never bother me. I can't remember if it was last spring or the spring before that when I felled the trees up in the holler and used an Alaskan mill to build that tool shed... Now I am right back where I started - It will be all of this summer just working off the Pillsbury Doughboy suit ... again.... sommore... I'll be lucky to get anything done up there this year at all before the snow flies.

Guess I can't complain... None of me works so well anymore, but I ain't got no pieces falling off yet.  :laugh:

Try the sleepytime tea with the echinacea - Seriously twice the bang of regular sleepytime... and as you know echinacea is good for pain.

Thanks @roamer_1 I'll give it a try.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 11:51:06 pm »
Addendum:

I got my mom the Natural Vitality Calm in cherry flavor, among other benefits the severe edema she was having in her ankles has pretty much disappeared, she sleeps better and says she feels, well, calmer. All things important for a 90 plus year old.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 11:52:51 pm »
I got my mom the Natural Vitality Calm in cherry flavor, among other benefits the severe edema she was having in her ankles has pretty much disappeared, she sleeps better and says she feels, well, calmer. All things important for a 90 plus year old.

:beer:

Never seen the cherry version around here... Odd as that is, here where cherries are one of our major crops. Go figger.  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 01:36:11 am »

Chamomile tea usually relaxes folks.

A day of busting ass does much the same for me. I have been known to fall asleep standing up...but that was lack of sleep, plain and simple.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 01:51:24 am »

A day of busting ass does much the same for me. I have been known to fall asleep standing up...but that was lack of sleep, plain and simple.
There were times in my younger days I would go two or three days with no sleep because of work, funny thing was even when I got what would be eight or nine hours of sleep I was always tired actually falling asleep at my desk. After finally complaining about it to my doctor I found out I had severe sleep apnea :shrug: even the APAP machine doesn't mitigate it. You don't get much rest when you stop breathing 15 to 20+ times an hour. I'm willing to try the magnesium to see if it helps.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 02:05:49 am »
There were times in my younger days I would go two or three days with no sleep because of work, funny thing was even when I got what would be eight or nine hours of sleep I was always tired actually falling asleep at my desk. After finally complaining about it to my doctor I found out I had severe sleep apnea :shrug: even the APAP machine doesn't mitigate it. You don't get much rest when you stop breathing 15 to 20+ times an hour. I'm willing to try the magnesium to see if it helps.

I've got a friend with severe apnea... The only way he can get good sleep is in a hammock.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 02:10:21 am »

Yep. Not like Sleepytime does... I think it is chamomile based, but it is mixed with valerian and other herbs

Most of my life I have had more trouble waking up than going to sleep... Coding and ancient texts reverse that. Stuff that is complicated that takes me a long time to spin up in my head... I am loath to quit and lose it all... Thus my penchant to pull long long hours in those conditions.

But mostly, I can always sleep at the drop of a hat. Cowboyin and logging taught me how.