Author Topic: EV’s Fossil Fuel Economy No Better than ICE Vehicles  (Read 283 times)

rebewranger

EV’s Fossil Fuel Economy No Better than ICE Vehicles
« on: June 20, 2022, 05:28:19 pm »
EV’s Fossil Fuel Economy No Better than ICE Vehicles
4 hours ago  s
From Dr. Roy Spencer’s Weather Blog

June 17th, 2022 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

…But the price per mile of EVs energy use is cheaper for the time being ($2 per gallon of gas equivalent)

Most of the electricity generated in the U.S. continues to come from fossil fuels (61% in 2021). This is not likely to change much in the future as electricity demand is increasing faster than renewables (20% of total in 2020 and 20.1% of total in 2021) can close the gap versus fossil fuels. Given that fact, it is interesting to ask the question:

Which uses fossil fuels more efficiently, an EV or ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle?

Most of what you will read about EVs versus ICE vehicles discuss how EVs are more efficient at converting the energy they carry into motion (e.g. here, and here , and here, and here, etc.) but this is only part of the equation. The generation, transmission, and battery storage of electricity is very inefficient compared to the refining and transport of gasoline, and those inefficiencies each year add up to more than all of the gasoline consumed in the U.S.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/06/20/evs-fossil-fuel-economy-no-better-than-ice-vehicles/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: EV’s Fossil Fuel Economy No Better than ICE Vehicles
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 01:41:30 pm »
For later
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck