Author Topic: Oil prices tumble on recession fears  (Read 392 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Oil prices tumble on recession fears
« on: June 18, 2022, 12:41:37 pm »
Oil prices tumble on recession fears
by Breanne Deppisch, Energy and Environment Reporter
 | June 17, 2022 04:50 PM

Oil prices fell by roughly 6% on Friday, tumbling to a more than four-week low amid fears that rate hikes implemented by the Federal Reserve could touch off a recession.

Futures for the international benchmark Brent crude fell Friday by as much as $6.69 before settling around $113.68 a barrel. Futures for U.S.-based West Texas Intermediate crude dropped to less than $110 a barrel — a 6.8% decline and the largest single-day decline since March.

The new numbers are a reversal from previous weeks, which saw steady rises in price for both Brent and WTI.

Friday's decline came just days after the Federal Reserve moved to implement its largest interest rate hike since 1994. It was an attempt to reduce inflation, but it has also raised fears that the United States could fall into a recession.

"The oil market looks like it won’t be tight for much longer as demand destruction calls grow as aggressive central bank tightening will lead to a short-term economic downturn," said Edward Moya, a senior market analyst at OANDA.

Inflation climbed last month to a 40-year high of 8.6%, prompting fears of "stagflation" — the 1970s term referring to a period of high prices coupled with economic contraction.

Many CEOs now foresee a recession, according to a Conference Board survey.

Speaking to the Associated Press in an interview published Friday, President Joe Biden said a recession “isn’t inevitable" and claimed that America was in a “stronger position than any nation in the world to overcome this inflation."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-environment/oil-prices-tumble-recession-fears
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Oil prices tumble on recession fears
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 12:52:46 pm »
The strange phenomemon of the manpower shortage will be short lived. We may be getting ready to see a business contraction of one we have not seen in our lifetimes.  All indicators...stagflation, rapid interest rate growths, massive crippling deficits, all making signs pointing to an economic disaster. 

What is most jaw breaking, is the great economic collapses had fundemental economic causes.  This is the first one in our history, that might be self inflicted. I may sound like a broken record, but I implore that all Briefers prepare accordingly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 04:54:43 pm »
You call $110 per bbl tumbling?

It is still higher than almost anytime in our history.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 06:06:22 pm »
Anybody notice tumbling here?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington