Author Topic: Conservative backlash builds against Cornyn's gun talks  (Read 444 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Conservative backlash builds against Cornyn's gun talks
« on: June 17, 2022, 02:56:53 am »
Cornyn in Freefall

Frustration inside the Senate GOP conference is boiling among conservatives at the way Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) is handling the bipartisan gun reform negotiations — putting the man who aspires to succeed Mitch McConnell as Republican leader in a political jam.

Why it matters: Some senators are viewing these negotiations as a test case for how Cornyn would fare as lead negotiator for the party should he replace McConnell one day.

Driving the news: Multiple sources with direct knowledge say the GOP senators who are uneasy about the negotiations include Mike Lee (R-Utah), Rick Scott (R-Fla.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), and Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), among others.

McConnell has thus far supported Cornyn's efforts, saying he's "comfortable" with the bipartisan gun deal and will support the bill if it "ends up reflecting what the framework indicated."
Behind the scenes: At Tuesday's private Senate GOP lunch, several senators questioned Cornyn about the proposal and pushed for specific details about what the legislation would entail.

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) "very vocally" requested more information from Cornyn on the substance of the framework. Those requests were rebuffed, three sources familiar with the lunch told Axios.
The proposal to incentivize state red flag laws has been especially unpopular among conservatives. Sens. Crapo, Cruz and others have voiced their concerns to leadership about it potentially becoming too easy to strip Americans of their right to bear arms.
And Scott, the chairman of the Senate Republicans' campaign arm, feels snubbed by the bipartisan group after holding early talks with Cornyn and Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.).
"No one's telling me anything. I've just asked for the text, and I haven’t gotten anything," Scott told Axios. "My whole goal is that we shouldn't be rushing something like this through; we should take our time."

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/16/cornyn-gun-negotiations-senate-republicans

I emailed him once again, this time sending him the exact words within the second amendment "Shall not be infringed"
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Conservative backlash builds against Cornyn's gun talks
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 03:13:28 am »
The problem about Red Flag laws is that they can readily be used as a step around the 5th and 14th Amendment Rights, and leave the accused essentially no recourse before being deprived of their property without Due Process of Law.
For a corrupt police department, they represent a fast means to enhance their private collections and make money, and if the person is cleared, when they attempt to get their firearms back, some or all of the best will have been lost, and likely, what IS returned will be damaged.

If we need to find a way to stop mentally disturbed persons from acquiring or having firearms, that is not it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 05:13:04 am »
Convention staff have started coming over and collecting the Cornyn lanyards people are depositing after swapping out for a Scorecard lanyard.  Here’s the most recent collection. We’re talking THOUSANDS.

Folks don’t want John “Compromisin’” Cornyn hung around their necks.
5:44 PM · Jun 16, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/MQSullivan/status/1537566774065041408/photo/1

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 07:25:56 am »

The problem about Red Flag laws is that they can readily be used as a step around the 5th and 14th Amendment Rights, and leave the accused essentially no recourse before being deprived of their property without Due Process of Law.
For a corrupt police department, .........

@Smokin Joe

There is another kind of PD?

Where?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 08:07:22 am »
@Smokin Joe

There is another kind of PD?

Where?
Yeah, I gotcha.
Local cops here aren't too bad. A pistol that was stolen from me was recovered and I got it back.

Another stolen from my wife and reported (NIB), was run by the FBI (my dealer told me so), and I did not get it back, despite them supposedly being required to make an attempt to return it.

Feds: 0
Local cops: 1
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis