Author Topic: So long, Internet Explorer. The browser is finally retiring  (Read 948 times)

Offline Kamaji

So long, Internet Explorer. The browser is finally retiring

By Associated Press   
June 15, 2022

Internet Explorer is finally headed out to pasture.

As of Wednesday, Microsoft will no longer support the once-dominant browser that legions of web surfers loved to hate — and a few still claim to adore. The 27-year-old application now joins BlackBerry phones, dial-up modems and Palm Pilots in the dustbin of tech history.

IE’s demise was not a surprise. A year ago, Microsoft said that it was putting an end to Internet Explorer on June 15, 2022, pushing users to its Edge browser, which was launched in 2015.

The company made clear then it was time to move on.

“Not only is Microsoft Edge a faster, more secure and more modern browsing experience than Internet Explorer, but it is also able to address a key concern: compatibility for older, legacy websites and applications,” Sean Lyndersay, general manager of Microsoft Edge Enterprise, wrote in a May 2021 blog post.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/15/microsofts-internet-explorer-browser-to-retire/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: So long, Internet Explorer. The browser is finally retiring
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 01:07:54 pm »
I'm not a fan of either one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 01:10:33 pm »
I'm not a fan of either one.

I haven't used IE in years, and right now I only use Edge when I need to access a web-based portion of MS Office for work.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 01:12:51 pm »
Didn't Bill Gates tell us that Internet Explorer was an integral part of the Windows OS Kernel?  How will Windows run without it? ... unless Bill Gates lied to us in the 1990s / early 2000s.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 01:13:57 pm »
Didn't Bill Gates tell us that Internet Explorer was an integral part of the Windows OS Kernel?  How will Windows run without it? ... unless Bill Gates lied to us in the 1990s / early 2000s.

They were going to make it an integral part, and then the antitrust case intervened.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 05:30:48 pm »
From what I've read, Edge has an IE compatibility mode. My current home computer was bought when Edge was new. Putting it nicely, Edge was not ready for prime time. I tried it again a year or two - and however many updates - later, and it still wasn't stable. It locked up, requiring a shut down and re-open, every few days. I haven't tried using Edge since then.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 06:19:21 pm »
From what I've read, Edge has an IE compatibility mode. My current home computer was bought when Edge was new. Putting it nicely, Edge was not ready for prime time. I tried it again a year or two - and however many updates - later, and it still wasn't stable. It locked up, requiring a shut down and re-open, every few days. I haven't tried using Edge since then.

I have Edge on a Win10 system and don't have any problems with it.  I don't use it except when I need to use web-based MS Office products for work, however.