Author Topic: Biden to require electric vehicle charging stations every 50 miles on federal highways  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's all right.
Though I don't know anyone who has been busted for using red diesel. And I know dang well anyone with a farm tank must be using the same thing in their trucks just as a matter of convenience. I sure would.

But I missed the diesel pickup craze. I get it, but I missed it. Partly that's because I am slightly allergic to diesel smoke... More an annoyance than a malady, but I put up with diesel in a large part of my life, I really didn't want to put up with it in my truck too. And diesel pickups kinda lead the way into stretch-cabs and 4doors and short boxes, which I have no use for either...

So by the time I might have considered it, the cost of diesel had already surpassed gasoline, making the whole thing break-even at best to me, for my purposes.
I never got on board, either. Back in the day when the crews rode out to the rig with the driller and it was okay to top off from the rig's supply of diesel, it was a big deal to get one of those Oldsmobiles and drive that for the drillers. Later, pickups, but as things always seem to go, a few people abused the privilege and the free fuel stopped. As in get your ass fired stopped.
I never got on board that bandwagon because my field vehicle in those days was a 1/2 ton van, and it ran on gas. Considering the seemingly constant filter changing thing, and No. 1 vs No.2 diesel, and now with DEF or it won't run, I'll stick with gasoline. It is just simpler.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

I believe diesel use to be cheaper to make from crude oil. It may have even been a biproduct along the process of making gas. Diesel has more energy per gallon than gas does and they can now essentially turn the dial to manufacture whatever grade they want. So creating diesel now uses more crude than does a gallon of gas. And that makes it more expensive. @Smokin Joe can correct me if I'm wrong.

Refinery cuts can be tilted to get higher or lower percentages of diesel, gasoline, naphtha, kerosene, etc.  So it isn't just a choice between gasoline and diesel.  Pushing a higher diesel output can cost you in jet fuel and fuel oil.  Pushing a higher gasoline output can cost you in naphtha and jet fuel.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I never got on board, either. Back in the day when the crews rode out to the rig with the driller and it was okay to top off from the rig's supply of diesel, it was a big deal to get one of those Oldsmobiles and drive that for the drillers. Later, pickups, but as things always seem to go, a few people abused the privilege and the free fuel stopped. As in get your ass fired stopped.
I never got on board that bandwagon because my field vehicle in those days was a 1/2 ton van, and it ran on gas. Considering the seemingly constant filter changing thing, and No. 1 vs No.2 diesel, and now with DEF or it won't run, I'll stick with gasoline. It is just simpler.

Back in my consulting days, I called on a little straddle plant once in a while.  The sole purpose of that plant was to extract propane from an NGL pipeline.  Surprisingly, every employee at the place had a pickup truck with a propane bottle in the bed.   :whistle:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

I'll stick with gasoline. It is just simpler.

That's right, mostly. I still have a 12 valve cummins laying in the weeds... I might ought to put that in something. I had kinda settled on converting a hay truck and cutting it down.. Kinda a home made Top Kick... I even have a 70's era hay truck scoped out, and 2T mil axles all figured out... But even if I figure out a tranny w OD (which is the stumper right now) and take the time to make another NP205/208 doubler TCase... Well that's a helluva big project for me anymore.

Still a thing. I guarantee, that'd be the last truck I ever need.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The speed at which tech applications are applied to everyday life, isn't it feasible that
these "charging stations" will go the way of telephone booths?

All electric cars should have the capacity to creep like a lawnmower...to the nearest 'station'. :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That's all right.
Though I don't know anyone who has been busted for using red diesel. And I know dang well anyone with a farm tank must be using the same thing in their trucks just as a matter of convenience. I sure would.

@roamer_1

I have a 4x4 3/4 ton diesel extended cab,long wheel base pu,and live in a rural area. I bought it to haul my trailer around so I can go buy antique auto or truck parts vehicles and bring them home to strip for parts,and to occasionally haul one to a seller after selling it.

Not being a "trying to get by with the minimum" type person,my trailer is also a serious piece of work that is rated to haul 5 tons and both axles have electric brakes.

Despite this,I don't have commercial tags because I am not operating a commercial business.

Since I am not a farmer,despite owning acreage in a rural area surrounded by farms,I don't have farm tags,either.

Despite this,I have been stopped twice by the "fuel detectives" and had my tanks tested for "off road fuel". This happened the first year I bought the truck,and to be honest I haven't been stopped by the "fuel tax boys" since. Probably because this IS a rural area and they know by now that I don't buy or store non-taxed diesel fuel.

It's not really a big deal in any respect other than the annoyance,but I still don't like it. They stop you while driving unmarked trucks,stick a test strip down into your fuel tank,and if it doesn't come out a certain color (can't remember the color at this point),they just smile,thank you for your cooperation,and off you go. Probably takes less than 5 minutes from the time you are stopped to the time you are pulling back onto the road.

I really don't know why it irritates me so much,but it does.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 02:47:18 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

I have a 4x4 3/4 ton diesel extended cab,long wheel base pu,and live in a rural area. I bought it to haul my trailer around so I can go buy antique auto or truck parts vehicles and bring them home to strip for parts,and to occasionally haul one to a seller after selling it.

Not being a "trying to get by with the minimum" type person,my trailer is also a serious piece of work that is rated to haul 5 tons and both axles have electric brakes.

Despite this,I don't have commercial tags because I am not operating a commercial business.

Since I am not a farmer,despite owning acreage in a rural area surrounded by farms,I don't have farm tags,either.

Despite this,I have been stopped twice by the "fuel detectives" and had my tanks tested for "off road fuel". This happened the first year I bought the truck,and to be honest I haven't been stopped by the "fuel tax boys" since. Probably because this IS a rural area and they know by now that I don't buy or store non-taxed diesel fuel.

It's not really a big deal in any respect other than the annoyance,but I still don't like it. They stop you while driving unmarked trucks,stick a test strip down into your fuel tank,and if it doesn't come out a certain color (can't remember the color at this point),they just smile,thank you for your cooperation,and off you go. Probably takes less than 5 minutes from the time you are stopped to the time you are pulling back onto the road.

I really don't know why it irritates me so much,but it does.

@sneakypete

Doesn't happen up here. And sure as hell wouldn't happen without a warrant. No one here would put up with otherwise.  :shrug:

Same thing with blow and go road blocks to catch drunks. They played hell trying to do that up in here and finally gave up. Too many cranky citizens telling em hell no. Me included. And they tried to prosecute and didn't have a leg to stand on, because there is no where they can force participation without a warrant.

Offline Hoodat

Funny how the government has never required gasoline and diesel stations every 50 miles on federal highways.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
'IF' this happens (which I doubt very very much), thieves will find a way to vandalize or steal them. And muggers will simply wait in eyeshot of the stations so when some vegan electric sissy pulls in they can take everything he has - except his/her car - because it doesn't work.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Back in my consulting days, I called on a little straddle plant once in a while.  The sole purpose of that plant was to extract propane from an NGL pipeline.  Surprisingly, every employee at the place had a pickup truck with a propane bottle in the bed.   :whistle:
When I first started in the patch my employer had a fleet of Chevy 'heavy' half ton dual fuel pickups that ran 350s on propane or gasoline. It was great being able to go 500 miles plus on a fill up, and the propane burned cleaner than gasoline so the engines lasted longer. BUT you had to start the truck on gasoline and warm it up when it was winter, to prevent liquid propane in the cylinders.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Goobermint tax boys are serious about collecting their money.
If they were, why don't they track down all the illicit money made by the mules during the 2020 election cycle?

I just saw 2,000 Mules and it is a fantastic amount of money made by them, estimated at $5 to $10 per illegal ballot X up to 800,000 ballots = $4mm to $8mm or $2,000 apiece.

And all the evidence is available to arrest them, as well as the dozens of non-profits who illegally paid off the mules.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 03:45:20 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If they were, why don't they track down all the illicit money made by the mules during the 2020 election cycle?

@IsailedawayfromFR

Because they want to keep their jobs.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!