Author Topic: Social Security Is Running Toward Insolvency  (Read 515 times)

Offline Kamaji

Social Security Is Running Toward Insolvency
« on: June 10, 2022, 01:39:24 pm »

Despite a few encouraging analyses, the numbers just don't add up.

VERONIQUE DE RUGY

Don't worry if you get confused reading accounts of the new Social Security Trustees Report. On one hand, you have some articles reporting that this document shows that Social Security will be insolvent in less than 15 years. Others prompt you to pop champagne corks in celebration of Social Security's financial footing being so strong that we can supposedly increase benefits.

But, of course, both can't be true.

Social Security Works, an advocacy group intent on expanding Social Security benefits, tweeted: "Expanding Social Security is a solution to: The nation's retirement crisis; The economic squeeze on working families; Rising income and wealth inequality. And the good news is the 2022 Trustees Report shows we can afford it!"

Similarly, the Alliance for Retired Americans writes that "the Trustees reports on the Social Security and Medicare Trust Funds…[show] once again that Social Security's Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund is strong and solvent."

Meanwhile, over at the Committee for a Responsible Budget (CFRB), a center-left organization focused on fiscal responsibility, the reaction couldn't be more different. CFRB warns: "The latest Social Security projections show the program is quickly headed toward insolvency and highlight the need for trust fund solutions sooner rather than later to prevent across-the-board benefit cuts or abrupt changes to tax or benefit levels."

In reading their report, you encounter data about how "Social Security is only 13 years from insolvency," and how the program faces "large and rising imbalances" even though its finances have improved slightly. Alarmingly, CFRB warns that time is running out.

Wouldn't it be nice if the correct interpretation of the data is the optimistic one? Indeed, it would. But it ain't.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/06/09/social-security-running-toward-insolvency/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Social Security Is Running Toward Insolvency
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 03:27:15 pm »
Ridiculous.

It reached insolvency years ago as expenses greatly outweigh receipts coming in.

By definition, an illegal Ponzi Scheme (on steroids).
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 03:32:00 pm »
We will still get the COLAs right?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 03:37:09 pm »
Put the people receiving SS on Welfare.  There's never any shortage of funds there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 06:20:47 pm »
Put the people receiving SS on Welfare.  There's never any shortage of funds there.
Take some of the money stolen from the "Social Security Lockbox" for welfare back, and put the able bodied back to work.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 06:23:03 pm »
Take some of the money stolen from the "Social Security Lockbox" for welfare back, and put the able bodied back to work.

That simply requires taking funds from general revenues, which either increase deficits, or require an increase in general taxes.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 06:56:55 pm »
Ridiculous.

It reached insolvency years ago as expenses greatly outweigh receipts coming in.

By definition, an illegal Ponzi Scheme (on steroids).

:yowsa: Exactly so! And the fact that it is government run does not change that one iota!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 07:01:58 pm »
That simply requires taking funds from general revenues, which either increase deficits, or require an increase in general taxes.
No, it involves cutting welfare.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 07:11:15 pm »

No, it involves moving revenues from one place to another.  That is not cutting expenses, that is rearranging deck chairs.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 07:41:09 pm »

Especially to ILLEGALS!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 07:49:51 pm »

Despite a few encouraging analyses, the numbers just don't add up.

VERONIQUE DE RUGY

Don't worry if you get confused reading accounts of the new Social Security Trustees Report. On one hand, you have some articles reporting that this document shows that Social Security will be insolvent in less than 15 years. Others prompt you to pop champagne corks in celebration of Social Security's financial footing being so strong that we can supposedly increase benefits.

But, of course, both can't be true.

Social Security Works, an advocacy group intent on expanding Social Security benefits, tweeted: "Expanding Social Security is a solution to: The nation's retirement crisis; The economic squeeze on working families; Rising income and wealth inequality. And the good news is the 2022 Trustees Report shows we can afford it!"

Similarly, the Alliance for Retired Americans writes that "the Trustees reports on the Social Security and Medicare Trust Funds…[show] once again that Social Security's Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund is strong and solvent."

Meanwhile, over at the Committee for a Responsible Budget (CFRB), a center-left organization focused on fiscal responsibility, the reaction couldn't be more different. CFRB warns: "The latest Social Security projections show the program is quickly headed toward insolvency and highlight the need for trust fund solutions sooner rather than later to prevent across-the-board benefit cuts or abrupt changes to tax or benefit levels."

In reading their report, you encounter data about how "Social Security is only 13 years from insolvency," and how the program faces "large and rising imbalances" even though its finances have improved slightly. Alarmingly, CFRB warns that time is running out.

Wouldn't it be nice if the correct interpretation of the data is the optimistic one? Indeed, it would. But it ain't.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/06/09/social-security-running-toward-insolvency/
Come on baby....4 more years.....you can do it!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 01:34:03 am »
Come on baby....4 more years.....you can do it!
that is what Biden cheerleaders say too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 03:16:59 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington