Author Topic: The Revolver Renaissance  (Read 1199 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Revolver Renaissance
« on: June 09, 2022, 04:42:27 pm »
Shooting Illustrated by Dick Williams 6/8/2022

Don’t call it a comeback. Revolvers remain an extremely popular and effective choice for self-defense, and manufacturers, trainers and consumers are reacting to that fact.

A couple of months ago, when I was renewing my California CCW permit, I heard an interesting comment made by one of the folks present. It was something like, “I’d never trust the defense of my life to a revolver.” Wow. Talk about a strong opinion. I didn’t know if he was one of the instructors or a citizen going through the qualification tests for license renewal. I didn’t pursue it for several reasons, but I have spent some time thinking about it in the ensuing weeks.

I have three handguns listed on my CCW permit—the same three that have been listed for more than a decade—and I have to requalify with all three guns every two years to renew my license in compliance with California’s onerous infringements on our Second Amendment-guaranteed rights. They include a Wilson Combat CQB 1911 chambered in .45 ACP, a Glock G19 in 9 mm and a Smith & Wesson J-frame in .357 Mag./.38 Spl. Which one I choose to carry on any given day isn’t based on a personal preference for a particular gun or caliber, but rather on an evaluation of circumstances relative to my travel and what gun would prove most useful for the situations in which I might find myself. Without going into the details of my daily life, the vast majority of the time it’s the small revolver in a pocket holster that gets selected.

Over the last several years writing for Shooting Illustrated, I have reviewed quite a few revolvers. These were not just “passion pieces” with nostalgic overtones covering historic, classic wheelguns. All of these reviews maintained the publication’s focus on self-defense. On different occasions, both Smith & Wesson and Taurus provided new models of small-frame revolvers for review. The last Smith was a titanium J-frame chambered in .357 Mag., while the Taurus was rated for .38 Spl. +P loads. On both guns, I had a chance to work with a local police officer on active duty who still carries a 2-inch-barreled revolver on and off duty. Even when working with his SWAT team and fully equipped with the latest hardware, he carries his small revolver as a backup gun. He commented that when you reach for that compact wheelgun, you are down to your last option, which means you better believe in it.

Colt has upgraded its entire line of “Snake” guns in the last few years. While the 6- and 8-inch Anacondas and Pythons might be regarded more as recreational firearms, all of Colt’s new small- and large-frame revolvers (except the Anaconda) are being offered with barrels between 2 and 4 inches. These are serious self-defense handguns, several of which are of interest to those wishing to carry discreetly because they are both simple to operate and can be concealed. The decision to produce these guns in the 21st century is not just a kindly gesture for those who have been loyal customers of Colt over the years. These guns are all being manufactured because Colt knows how immensely effective revolvers can be (and have been) in keeping people safe, but more importantly, the company knows consumers still want such handguns.

Ruger’s LCR is a purpose-built firearm based on market research. Ruger thought it would sell, even in this new millennium dominated by semi-automatic handguns. To me, and apparently to a lot of shooters, the LCR has two outstanding features. First, it has the most user-friendly “out of the box” double-action trigger I’ve encountered. Second, it’s available in calibers ranging from .22 LR up through .327 Fed. Mag. and all the way to the proven .357 Mag., and every model feels the same to the user through its trigger pull. Obviously, when a live round is fired, he or she will know what round it is. Pick the most powerful chambering you can control well.

Kimber, long known for its 1911s, entered the revolver market with its K6 line, which now contains multiple models of outstanding, concealable pistols. Its decision to make a type of firearm with which it had no prior experience speaks to the continued and growing popularity of revolvers. The fact the company makes some pretty nice wheelguns is merely a bonus.

More: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/the-revolver-renaissance/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: The Revolver Renaissance
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 03:31:42 am »
I have an old Colt Trooper Mk III six inch .357, the Nickle finish is worn but the gun is tight ad shoots good groups and I only paid $125 for it at an auction years ago when everybody was hot to get 9mm pistols. Autos are nice but there is just something about an old wheel gun, I'd really like a SSA in .45 Long Colt......maybe one day if the communists don't start civil war II.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 11:19:26 am »
The one handgun I shot so much, ≈7,500 rnds, that it mentally became part of me, is a S&W Mod 36 38 Special with a 3" barrel. My other favorite revolver is my 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk with a 4-5/8 in barrel.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 01:37:27 pm »
My wife loves her wheel guns. She's got two .357 mags.

I've got a 6 shot .38 Specials.

IMHO everyone needs a revolver in their arsenal.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 05:30:14 am »
I only have several 38 specials revolvers, but love them. Keep one beside my bed along with my other guns. Since I don't keep the semis with one in the chamber, but I do the revolvers, it will be what I reach for first in a situation that requires stealth before firing. Pull and it fires.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 12:07:32 pm »
I only have several 38 specials revolvers, but love them. Keep one beside my bed along with my other guns. Since I don't keep the semis with one in the chamber, but I do the revolvers, it will be what I reach for first in a situation that requires stealth before firing. Pull and it fires.

Revolvers = The original point and click device
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 12:23:20 pm »
Revolvers = The original point and click device

There were earlier point and click devices such as my Colt 4th Model Derringer.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 12:25:21 pm »
There were earlier point and click devices such as my Colt 4th Model Derringer.

That's pretty!