Author Topic: From Gatorade to Kleenex, ‘shrinkflation’ is on the rise  (Read 404 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 From Gatorade to Kleenex, ‘shrinkflation’ is on the rise
By Associated Press   
June 8, 2022 12:25pm

It’s the inflation you’re not supposed to see.

From toilet paper to yogurt and coffee to corn chips, manufacturers are quietly shrinking package sizes without lowering prices. It’s dubbed “shrinkflation,” and it’s accelerating worldwide.

In the US, a small box of Kleenex now has 60 tissues; a few months ago, it had 65. Chobani Flips yogurts have shrunk from 5.3 ounces to 4.5 ounces. In the UK, Nestlé slimmed down its Nescafe Azera Americano coffee tins from 100 grams to 90 grams. In India, a bar of Vim dish soap has shrunk from 155 grams to 135 grams.

Shrinkflation isn’t new, experts say. But it proliferates in times of high inflation as companies grapple with rising costs for ingredients, packaging, labor and transportation. Global consumer price inflation was up an estimated 7% in May, a pace that will likely continue through September, according to S&P Global.

“It comes in waves. We happen to be in a tidal wave at the moment because of inflation,” said Edgar Dworsky, a consumer advocate and former assistant attorney general in Massachusetts who has documented shrinkflation on his Consumer World website for decades.

A 32 fluid ounce of Gatorade, left, and a 28 fluid ounce. AP

more
https://nypost.com/2022/06/08/shrinkflation-affecting-package-sizes-but-not-prices/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: From Gatorade to Kleenex, ‘shrinkflation’ is on the rise
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 01:36:14 am »
I remember when toilet paper was at least 1/2 inch wider, and a roll was a roll, not part of some elaborate math that was not taught in school in my day.

In those days, Tuna came in a 6 ounce can...and much of what else was on the shelves was in 16 oz cans or packaged by the pound (not 12 ounces).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 01:37:28 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 01:41:53 am »
I also think false labeling is going on; some brands claiming that paper towels are 2-ply thick. Not so, especially, when you can practically see through them -- same with toilet paper.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 02:12:22 am »
Everything used to come in distinct sizes. 32oz, 16oz, pound, etc...
Now things are in weird sizes that make no sense. 14oz, 12oz, 11oz, etc...
With deceptive packaging, you can't simply count on the fact that a thing is what it looks like according to what you are used to. They are shaving both numeric quantity and weight in any what they can get away with.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 03:51:09 am »
I had a feeling my facial tissues and TP were shrinking.

I hear makeup is going up a lot. Ie: lipstick.

Now that people aren’t wearing masks so much, women are back to buying lipstick again.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 03:11:36 pm »
Lance Gooden
@Lancegooden

Gummy Bears: 5oz to 4oz
Detergent: 75oz to  67.5oz
Coffee: 51oz to 43.7oz
Toilet paper: 425 sheets to 320 sheets
Tooth paste: 4.1oz to 3.8oz

Bidenflation has turned into shrinkflation — a double whammy for Americans.

8:09 AM · Jun 9, 2022·Twitter for iPhone