Author Topic: 'Don't Tread On Me' Has Become the Gun-Toting Black Woman's Credo  (Read 404 times)

Offline Kamaji

'Don't Tread On Me' Has Become the Gun-Toting Black Woman's Credo

By Jennifer Oliver O'Connell
Jun 07, 2022

In the wake of the Robb Elementary School mass shooting in Uvalde, TX, where 19 children and two teachers were murdered, the legacy media is fomenting gun control narratives, while also marveling at some facts on the ground that destroy those very narratives. One stone-cold reality is the rise in gun ownership among women, with a significant chunk of that number being Black women. In light of all the ugliness of mass shootings and the Leftist cries for gun control, if a legacy magazine is running a story about increased ownership among any minority, you know they are sitting up and taking notice, and perhaps fostering the discussion rather than fanning the flames of division.

One can hope. A publication called The Cut did a deep dive into this subject: “The New Face of American Gun Ownership Black women are pushing against the (white, rural, and male) stereotype,” While the article has some quality interviews and explores some of this territory, it still treats this reality as though it is some new revelation.

Welcome to the party, folks. Black women have been pushing back against the stereotypes and taking charge of their own protection for a while now, knowing full well that the only ones jeopardizing their safety are liberal, gun-grabbing white saviors and those who support them.

From the Black Codes enacted after the Civil War, to restrictive taxation, to Franklin Roosevelt’s Firearms Act of 1934, gun control at its root has always sought to kill individualism; the right to self-defense, and the right to protect oneself against threat. But another feature (not a bug) has been disenfranchising those who most need it: the poor, the common man, the minority.

In 2019, out of the blue, a Yoga client who knew I was a conservative gave me and my husband a four-day handgun training course. That got the momentum going. In 2020, the pandemic was foisted upon us, and along with all that evil foolishness and attempts to alter our lives, my livelihood was being destroyed through AB5, the California law outlawing independent contracting. I was quite vocal and public in this battle, as well as for a “Yes” vote on Prop 22, which would help rideshare and platform drivers bypass AB5—it didn’t help all of us, but it was good for the overall cause.

Because of that advocacy, I received a veiled threat from the goons on the other side—no doubt he/she/it aligned with the unions and their ilk. But that’s when the script fully flipped from, “I support,” to “I carry.” I was determined that my voice, my safety, or my family’s safety were not going to be jeopardized because I wasn’t properly equipped to defend an attack. With the help of a friend, we bought our first Glock in 2020, and a Springfield Armory in 2021, and have taken more gun training since then. Now I am fully invested not only in exercising my Second Amendment rights, but in protecting my life and the life of others if necessary.

Source:  https://redstate.com/jenniferoo/2022/06/07/dont-tread-on-me-has-become-the-gun-toting-black-womans-credo-n575718