Author Topic: Flowers for Joyce  (Read 118 times)

rebewranger

Flowers for Joyce
« on: June 08, 2022, 11:08:43 am »
Flowers for Joyce
She has all these tools to help. Why doesn't she feel helped?
LT. COL. PHOENIX L. TORRIJOS | JUNE 5, 2022
COMMENTARY PERSONNEL C4ISR

Useful Fiction is a new approach to sharing research and analysis through using the oldest communications technology of all: story. Sometimes called FICINT or Fictional Intelligence, it fuses real data and insight with narrative scenarios. The goal is not to replace the white paper or journal article, but to provide a new means to share insights, in a form that audiences are more likely to read, but also more likely to act upon. If science fiction and technothrillers are like a milkshake, and strategy papers and trend reports are like vitamins or kale, think of useful fiction as the equivalent to a breakfast smoothie for policymakers that blends education and entertainment with a purpose. This essay was produced through an initiative undertaken with the U.S. Air Force's “Blue Horizons” futures team.—P.W. Singer and August Cole

“God, I look like shit.”

The harsh halogen lights above the bathroom mirror paints my face in the most unattractive way. Splotchy lavender colors the bags under my eyes. Deep creases appear on my forehead as I raise my eyebrows in a failed attempt to smooth out the bottom of my face.

Bob’s warm voice recaps the last eight hours of my life: “Last night, you experienced thirty-eight minutes of REM sleep, and four hours of total rest. Your recovery level is red, at nineteen percent.”

“What I would give to get into yellow,” I respond.

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2022/06/flowers-joyce/367778/