Author Topic: Dozens of Georgia churches split from United Methodist Church over LGBTQ issues  (Read 875 times)

Offline libertybele

Dozens of Georgia churches split from United Methodist Church over LGBTQ issues

Seventy churches in Georgia split from the United Methodist Church (UMC) last week largely over LGBTQ issues, marking the latest in a growing divide within the third-largest Protestant denomination in the United States.

The North Georgia Conference voted last Thursday to allow the churches, most of which were in rural areas, to disaffiliate from the UMC. The process for disaffiliation was laid out by the 2019 General Conference of The United Methodist Church through 2023, according to the North Georgia United Methodist Church Conference website.

In 2021, the Board of Trustees adopted a process and, along with District Superintendents, walked alongside the churches that requested to disaffiliate. The conference established ratification by the Annual Conference as the final step in that process.

During a special session in 2019, the UMC adopted a disaffiliation agreement allowing churches to leave the denomination through the end of 2023 "for reasons of conscience regarding a change in the requirements and provisions of the Book of Discipline related to the practice of homosexuality or the ordination or marriage of self-avowed practicing homosexuals as resolved and adopted by the 2019 General Conference, or the actions or inactions of its annual conference related to these issues which follow."...........

https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-churches-split-united-methodist-church-lgbtq
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The UMC has been splitting from actual individual Methodists for decades.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

UMC and PCUSA - both former denominations of mine. Both apostate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
UMC and PCUSA - both former denominations of mine. Both apostate.

I grew up with the Methodist Church, but I learned very early on they were taking a Communist road.  A decade before my discovery that I cannot ever be a Democrat.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline rustynail

To be expected in a church started by a vegetarian.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I grew up with the Methodist Church, but I learned very early on they were taking a Communist road.  A decade before my discovery that I cannot ever be a Democrat.
The United Methodist Church of today is nothing like the Methodist movement that John Wesley established in the mid-18th century.

It really dates to 1968. That was when there was a movement to merge a bunch of the major mainline Protestant churches (the Episcopalians, Methodists, Congregationalists and Presbyterians) into one big unified church. (Never mind that the Calvinist roots of the latter two were largely incompatible with the Wesleyan and Anglican roots of the first two, but that's another discussion.) It never came to full fruition here in America, but the Methodists ended up gobbling up the United Brethren in Christ as part of the amalgamation to become the United Methodist Church. (The merger largely succeeded in Canada where a United Church of Canada largely controls most of the Protestant churches, and even here in America, there are several churches that have or recently had affiliations with the UMC and another denomination like the Presbyterians or Congregationalists.) Not only that, but the whole ecumenical movement (from which the idea of amalgamating all these different churches together came) was being influenced by liberal theology. The Congregationalists, for example, evolved into the United Church of Christ, one of the most liberal denominations in America.

The ecumenical organization that tried to negotiate that merger released a Revised Common Lectionary that a lot of churches use, one that is very similar to the Catholic lectionary. It disturbed me how often I was seeing people at other churches hearing sermons that were on the same scriptures I was hearing at my church... then I realized that we were all using a common set of scripture. That lectionary has some... interesting... elisions. For example, it cut out the portion of Revelation that explicitly warned not to cut out pieces of Revelation. (When reading it in our church, we simply read it through.)

Anyway, the thing that always amused me is that over the past 200 years, there have been countless offshoots and breakaway churches from the mainline Methodist branch—the Wesleyans, Church of the Nazarene and Free Methodists, all substantially more ideologically conservative than the UMC*, being three of the popular ones where I live. (*The Wesleyans, where I spent a decade as an attendee but never invited to join, has been liberalizing itself, but this is mainly in the manner of largely outdated concerns such as dancing or playing of cards. That said, their colleges have churned out some, well, eccentric graduates. Fuller's Rule of the Nevers, #4, "Never date a girl who went to Houghton College!") I am not ashamed to say that I have been a lifelong practicing Methodist, but I have never been fond of the direction of the United Methodist Church, and I can safely say that there are a huge portion of Methodists who feel the same for any number of reasons.

(Disclaimer: I am a chairman of a former United Brethren church congregation that is currently within the UMC. As a matter of principle, I am not going to publicly disclose any discussions over which way we will be headed, but I will say that those discussions have happened.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Hoodat

The United Methodist Church of today is nothing like the Methodist movement that John Wesley established in the mid-18th century.

Understatement of the century.

I was raised in the UMC and served as an acolyte.  Looking back on it now, I see how utterly dead that church really is.  On a return visit to the town I grew up in a few years back, I decided to visit.  At the end of the service, the reverend greets people at the doorway as they file out.  As he extended his hand towards me, I clutched it and held on tight while pointing out all the unbiblical things he had uttered during the sermon.  He wasn't expecting that.

The UMC has sanction abortion since 1973.  'Nuff said.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It really dates to 1968. That was when there was a movement to merge a bunch of the major mainline Protestant churches (the Episcopalians, Methodists, Congregationalists and Presbyterians) into one big unified church. (Never mind that the Calvinist roots of the latter two were largely incompatible with the Wesleyan and Anglican roots of the first two, but that's another discussion.) It never came to full fruition here in America, but the Methodists ended up gobbling up the United Brethren in Christ as part of the amalgamation to become the United Methodist Church. (The merger largely succeeded in Canada where a United Church of Canada largely controls most of the Protestant churches, and even here in America, there are several churches that have or recently had affiliations with the UMC and another denomination like the Presbyterians or Congregationalists.) Not only that, but the whole ecumenical movement (from which the idea of amalgamating all these different churches together came) was being influenced by liberal theology. The Congregationalists, for example, evolved into the United Church of Christ, one of the most liberal denominations in America.

The ecumenical organization that tried to negotiate that merger released a Revised Common Lectionary that a lot of churches use, one that is very similar to the Catholic lectionary. It disturbed me how often I was seeing people at other churches hearing sermons that were on the same scriptures I was hearing at my church... then I realized that we were all using a common set of scripture. That lectionary has some... interesting... elisions. For example, it cut out the portion of Revelation that explicitly warned not to cut out pieces of Revelation. (When reading it in our church, we simply read it through.)

Anyway, the thing that always amused me is that over the past 200 years, there have been countless offshoots and breakaway churches from the mainline Methodist branch—the Wesleyans, Church of the Nazarene and Free Methodists, all substantially more ideologically conservative than the UMC*, being three of the popular ones where I live. (*The Wesleyans, where I spent a decade as an attendee but never invited to join, has been liberalizing itself, but this is mainly in the manner of largely outdated concerns such as dancing or playing of cards. That said, their colleges have churned out some, well, eccentric graduates. Fuller's Rule of the Nevers, #4, "Never date a girl who went to Houghton College!") I am not ashamed to say that I have been a lifelong practicing Methodist, but I have never been fond of the direction of the United Methodist Church, and I can safely say that there are a huge portion of Methodists who feel the same for any number of reasons.

(Disclaimer: I am a chairman of a former United Brethren church congregation that is currently within the UMC. As a matter of principle, I am not going to publicly disclose any discussions over which way we will be headed, but I will say that those discussions have happened.)

I learnt a lot in reading this, Merle!  And, all of it jibes with what I've always known of the history. To me, Wesley was the Founder of my part. 
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Wesleyans are much like Southern Baptists, only the other way around...

Due to their pseudo-congregational establishment, there is some independence... Mostly if you walk into a Methodist church you're likely to be disappointed... But there are still orthodox churches if you are willing to look for them - And you'll look pretty hard.

Southern Baptists are the other way around - Because they are vehemently congregational, walking into a Baptist church is going to offer the experience you would expect, for the most part. They ARE fraying though, and with that, there is a move toward more structured hierarchy - Which is where the problems arise.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org