Author Topic: Toomey: ‘My Hope Is We’ll Get’ Half of Senate Republicans to Vote for Gun Deal  (Read 603 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Toomey: ‘My Hope Is We’ll Get’ Half of Senate Republicans to Vote for Gun Deal

Pam Key 5 Jun 2022

Senator Pat Toomey (R-PA) said Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation” that he hoped at least half of his Republican colleagues in the Senate would vote for the gun package he was currently negotiating.

Partial transcript as follows:

MARGARET BRENNAN: Well, we see overwhelming support in our CBS polling for background checks, which is why it’s interesting that it’s difficult. There was a Republican congressman in the state of New York, I’m sure you heard about this. Chris Jacobs. He represents a district around Buffalo where there was an awful mass shooting just a few weeks ago, he dropped out of his reelection race. After- seven days after he publicly endorsed a Federal Assault Weapons Ban and limits on high capacity magazines. This is what he had to say.

REP. CHRIS JACOBS ON TAPE: We have a problem in our country, in terms of both our major parties. If you stray from a party position, you are annihilated. For the Republicans, it came- it became pretty apparent to me over the last week that that issue is gun control. Any gun control.

BRENNAN: Do you agree with him?

TOOMEY: No, I don’t. I think there’s a wide range of opinions among elected Republicans just as there are among Republican voters across the country-

BRENNAN: Well–

TOOMEY: –in my case, I wrote a bill with Senator Manchin and advocated for expanding background checks in 2013, as you pointed out, again in 2015–

BRENNAN: –right, but you couldn’t get enough Republicans to vote with you to get it passed–

TOOMEY: –We voted on it in 2016. I was reelected- I was- I was reelected without a primary challenge. So I think that that tells you something also

BRENNAN: Well, excuse me, I’m sorry, my voice. The President himself has campaigned on this idea that he can be a deal breaker- broker. Does he need to get involved? Or does the involvement of the president lessen the chances of success here?

TOOMEY: Yeah, the problem is I think the President might have been a president who would reach across the aisle try to bring people together. But he’s chosen not to take that approach. Since day one, he has sided with the far left of his party and really not reached out to Republicans. He gave a speech on this topic where he advocated policies that he knows for sure have no chance of passing the Senate probably couldn’t even get 50 votes, and hold the Democrats much less get the 60 we would need. So once again, the President is not being very helpful. I think at the end of the day, this is going to come down to whether we can reach a consensus in the United States Senate. There are intensive discussions underway. It includes people who have not been engaged on this issue in the past. I can’t certainly can’t guarantee any outcome. But it feels to me like we are closer than we’ve been since I’ve been in the Senate.

BRENNAN: So you can get four other Republicans to stand with you, the six who are negotiating?

TOOMEY: My hope is we’ll get a lot more than that. My hope is we’ll get at least half the Republican conference. You know that that’s, that should be the goal here. We’re going to have to be realistic about what can do that. Senator Murphy alluded to the idea that it’s not going to be everything. Certainly the Democrats would like. We’ll- we’ll see where it ends up.

BRENNAN: Is there a risk that the Republican Party becomes associated with gun violence, if you can’t get those votes?

TOOMEY: You know, look, I think the Republicans have been very consistently supporters have Second Second Amendment rights. Republican voters expect Republicans to defend the Second Amendment. I think there is a place to land that’s consistent with the Second Amendment, as I’ve been advocating for expanding background checks, by the way, I think encouraging states to have some kind of red flag laws could make sense as long as there’s adequate due process. I think there are school safety provisions, there are mental health issues that we could address. So there are things we could do that would be constructive, that are consistent with Republican values, and I’m hoping we’ll get there.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/06/05/toomey-my-hope-is-well-get-half-of-senate-republicans-to-vote-for-gun-deal/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

I hope and pray that we see a more unified Senate standing up for the 2A. IF not the GOP has no chance of retaking the Senate and "We the People" are absolutely sunk.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I wonder if Toomey even considers what those republicans will face back home if they fold on their constituents constitutional rights? I'm in California which was lost a long time ago and there only 10 Republican members of the House but if any voted for this I would hope they were voted out......not like it would make a damn bit of difference here :shrug:

Online Hoodat

I wonder if Toomey even considers what those republicans will face back home if they fold on their constituents constitutional rights?

The only "home" these politicians know is inside the Beltway.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The only "home" these politicians know is inside the Beltway.
Well we never lived in the Beltway, but my dad had a beltway of dealing with us if we broke the rules or did something wrong  :pondering: I wonder, might work with POS politicians.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
What the fold like cheap suits RINOs mean is they expect more than 20 pieces of silver for betraying their Country, Constitution, and the nations people.  Be very wary of these glad to be WOKE whores Republicans, and don't forget them at election time.
Is anything Biden does still better than anything Trump has or did? WELL?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If this idiocy passes, we are witnessing the true beginning of this Republic's end
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

If this idiocy passes, we are witnessing the true beginning of this Republic's end

We saw the beginning of the end of this Republic when our SCOTUS looked the other way when the election was stolen.  Losing our 2A rights will be the nail in her coffin.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

NEVER gonna happen. Not 5 months away from midterms... It's the silly season

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
US Senate Oath of Office

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis