Author Topic: Darwin award winner at Yellowstone…  (Read 967 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Darwin award winner at Yellowstone…
« on: June 02, 2022, 09:56:27 pm »
NBC News by Tim Stelloh 5/31/2022

Bison gores Yellowstone visitor, tosses her 10 feet, park officials say

The visitor, a woman from Ohio, had puncture wounds and other injuries, officials said. Her condition was unknown.

A woman visiting Yellowstone National Park was gored by a bison and tossed into the air, park officials said Tuesday.

The 25-year-old woman, who was visiting from Ohio, was not identified in a news release from the park.

The woman approached the female bison Monday morning after it came close to a boardwalk at Black Sand Basin, near Old Faithful geyser, the park said.
-----
CORRECTION (June 1, 2022, 12:07 p.m. ET) A previous version of this article misstated the severity of the woman’s injuries. She was gored by a bison and suffered puncture wounds. She was not killed.

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/yellowstone-visitor-gored-by-bison-tossed-10-feet-rcna31371

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Darwin award winner at Yellowstone…
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 10:03:16 pm »
Two of the scariest animals on the planet are buffalos and hippos. I'll throw in mama grizzlies with cubs.

Buffalo are highly temperamental an unpredictable. They can demolish a small vehicle. I tire of people that think they are animal whispered to highly dangerous animals like this.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 01:23:21 am »
Two of the scariest animals on the planet are buffalos and hippos. I'll throw in mama grizzlies with cubs.

And moose.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 01:42:30 am »
You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 02:18:00 pm »
And moose.

@roamer_1

Or any creature as big,or bigger than a moose.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 02:35:51 pm »
Some headline writer is stretching the heck out of the phrase "Darwin Award."  That's for people who take themselves out of the gene pool by either dying while childless, or having their reproductive organs removed through stupid actions.

She neither croaked, nor is confirmed "childless."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 02:37:04 pm »
Some headline writer is stretching the heck out of the phrase "Darwin Award."  That's for people who take themselves out of the gene pool by either dying while childless, or having their reproductive organs removed through stupid actions.

She neither croaked, nor is confirmed "childless."

Exactly.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 04:10:01 am »
@roamer_1

@sneakypete
Yes, but no... Moose in particular... I am more fearful of moose than any other thing in these woods.
It's a crap-shoot with no apparent pattern. Either they see you and you're fine... "Hey pal! How ya doin?"
OR they see you and immediately hate you. And if they hate you, they will kill you, and there is nothing that will get in their way... And if you get away (and that is a big if) they will not forget it. Come back a year later and that same moose will hate you just the same way. He knows who you are. He sees you first, he's laying for you.

Griz don't generally get a wild hair like that. Buffalo might, but they don't remember it months later.
But if a moose hates you - He hates you to the bone, and there ain't no changing his mind. Ever.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 04:13:34 am »
@roamer_1

Elephants?

Damn, but moose are BIG.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 10:45:01 am »
Elephants?

Damn, but moose are BIG.

@Smokin Joe

So are some bears,and some of them have the same disposition as the typical Moose. Maybe even more aggressive,although I don't want to be the "test dummy" for THAT experiment!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 11:02:07 am »
@Smokin Joe

So are some bears,and some of them have the same disposition as the typical Moose. Maybe even more aggressive,although I don't want to be the "test dummy" for THAT experiment!
Aside from the three that wandered through my yard a few years ago, the only close deaalings I have had with moose was up in Yellowstone. I had stopped for a breather, noticed a small stream, and in my normal geological curiosity, went down there to check it out (and see what was getting washed along in it). It was only about six feet wide, with brush on the other side. About the time i reached into it, there was a huge crash on the other side of the brush and I looked up, finding myself just about nose to nose with a Bullwinkle. I'm not sure who was most surprised, but I'd say the antlers sure looked to be six feet from one side to the other.

I had no clue I could crab walk, backwards, uphill, but I think I sat a record, starting out very slow and gaining speed as distance increased...
(I AM glad it wasn't a griz, come for a drink, and now pretty much only approach streams where the banks are clear.)
The impression of its size was not changed by the ones who came through my yard some years later. ANy critter that stands six foot at the shoulder has my attention.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 12:29:56 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2022, 01:04:27 pm »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 01:11:12 pm »
But not chocolate moose.  :whistle: :tongue2: :silly: rrthree

@roamer_1

Oh I dunno @Gefn ... Chocolate moose is more likely to kill me in the end... Just takes longer.  :whistle: :shrug:

:beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 01:15:07 pm »
Aside from the three that wandered through my yard a few years ago, the only close deaalings I have had with moose was up in Yellowstone. I had stopped for a breather, noticed a small stream, and in my normal geological curiosity, went down there to check it out (and see what was getting washed along in it). It was only about six feet wide, with brush on the other side. About the time i reached into it, there was a huge crash on the other side of the brush and I looked up, finding myself just about nose to nose with a Bullwinkle. I'm not sure who was most surprised, but I'd say the antlers sure looked to be six feet from one side to the other.

I had no clue I could crab walk, backwards, uphill, but I think I sat a record, starting out very slow and gaining speed as distance increased...
(I AM glad it wasn't a griz, come for a drink, and now pretty much only approach streams where the banks are clear.)
The impression of its size was not changed by the ones who came through my yard some years later. ANy critter that stands six foot at the shoulder has my attention.

I have been around a ton of em in my life. Unpredictable... especially in rut. Not to be taken lightly, ever.
Of course, my brother has more experience than I... When he lived in Anchorage he had to kick em out of his parking place every day... Not the sort of thing I would care to do.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 01:19:06 pm »

Elk ain't no fun either, though they generally run away... But you ain't lived till you are stalking through the forest and spook a bedded herd all around you... Scary, that. They would not mean to hurt you but a stampede is a stampede, only with way more horns when it's elk. Just find a big tree to get behind and start praying...  :0001:

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 01:31:31 pm »
Elk ain't no fun either, though they generally run away... But you ain't lived till you are stalking through the forest and spook a bedded herd all around you... Scary, that. They would not mean to hurt you but a stampede is a stampede, only with way more horns when it's elk. Just find a big tree to get behind and start praying...  :0001:
If they are rutting and smell you as a male threat in their harem, they will not run away and you could be in trouble.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 01:37:24 pm »

@Smokin Joe

They are not only that big,they are pretty much solid bone and muscle.

Big bears are fat,which is one reason they are big,but you definitely don't want to get in a boxing match or a foot race with one of them. It really is hard to believe that something that big and that fat can move soooo damn fast,but  they can.

Not that any of this is a problem for me because I have NO intention of getting close to either creature.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 01:38:30 pm »
But not chocolate moose.  :whistle: :tongue2: :silly: rrthree

@roamer_1

@Gefn

Ain't they the ones that eat all the pot plants,and just lay around and get fat?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 01:40:35 pm »
If they are rutting and smell you as a male threat in their harem, they will not run away and you could be in trouble.

@240B

Nobody wants anybody else fooling wid dere wimmins.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 01:41:13 pm »

Never had a confrontation with an elk. Even if I bugle em in. They come in hard, but if you give em any time, they figure you out and run.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 01:43:13 pm »
@Smokin Joe

They are not only that big,they are pretty much solid bone and muscle.

Big bears are fat,which is one reason they are big,but you definitely don't want to get in a boxing match or a foot race with one of them. It really is hard to believe that something that big and that fat can move soooo damn fast,but  they can.

Not that any of this is a problem for me because I have NO intention of getting close to either creature.

@sneakypete

Bear ain't as fat as they seem. Kinda like pig. The look is deceiving.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:59:54 pm by 240B »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 01:58:00 pm »
@sneakypete

Bear ain't as fat as they seem. Kinda like pig. The look is deceiving.

@roamer_1

Same with some humans. Sometimes even the ones that look skinny. This is one of the things that make humans so dangerous. You can't tell what you are dealing with until it is too late to change your mind.

One friend of mine,who has now passed,was a Japanese citizen until being adopted out of an orphanage after the war ended. He was maybe 5'3" or 5'4",can't remember at this late date,and was not really bulked up.

Yet,he retired as a SF E-8 Master Sergeant with at least 1 Silver Star and I THINK 2 or 3 Purple Hearts,and was the NCOIC of the SF Scuba Committee in Florida when he retired.

Never even saw him look irritated in the several years I knew him. In fact,he just MAY have been THE most positive and upbeat man I have ever met. Always smiling,always happy,and always excited about something new he was going to do.

Having said that,it would have been a serious mistake to think because he was little and happy that you could start slapping him around without any negative consequences.

I still miss talking to Bo on the phone. No matter how "down" I was when I called him,he would have me laughing and smiling within a few minutes. It is impossible to stay "down" when talking with someone THAT upbeat. That was just who he was. Gonna miss him until the day I die.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2022, 02:25:35 pm »
@roamer_1

Same with some humans. Sometimes even the ones that look skinny. This is one of the things that make humans so dangerous. You can't tell what you are dealing with until it is too late to change your mind.

One friend of mine,who has now passed,was a Japanese citizen until being adopted out of an orphanage after the war ended. He was maybe 5'3" or 5'4",can't remember at this late date,and was not really bulked up.

Yet,he retired as a SF E-8 Master Sergeant with at least 1 Silver Star and I THINK 2 or 3 Purple Hearts,and was the NCOIC of the SF Scuba Committee in Florida when he retired.

Never even saw him look irritated in the several years I knew him. In fact,he just MAY have been THE most positive and upbeat man I have ever met. Always smiling,always happy,and always excited about something new he was going to do.

Having said that,it would have been a serious mistake to think because he was little and happy that you could start slapping him around without any negative consequences.

I still miss talking to Bo on the phone. No matter how "down" I was when I called him,he would have me laughing and smiling within a few minutes. It is impossible to stay "down" when talking with someone THAT upbeat. That was just who he was. Gonna miss him until the day I die.

@sneakypete

Used to pump iron with a feller named Richard back in the day... Slight looking guy, probably a foot shorter than me... He was pretty cut, but wore baggy clothes and Ben Franklin glasses. Nice guy, but pretty underwhelming and polite to look at him. Redneck strength to start with, and pumped up on top of that... But unassuming.

The jocks cornered him in a hallway heading down to the cafeteria, figuring to pick on him... Started out good for them, as he tried not to get into it... But then I swear, he buried one hand into a fellers belly muscles, twist and lifted him right off the ground (one handed) and pinned him to the wall like that... Screaming like a woman.

Richard looked just as composed as always, said something low to him while shaking his finger on his free hand at him for a minute, then dropped him in a pile and walked away.

None of em even tried to stop him... And he had no more trouble after that.  happy77