Author Topic: My Testimony On New York's "Scoping Plan" To Achieve Net Zero Carbon Emissions  (Read 130 times)

rebewranger

My Testimony On New York's "Scoping Plan" To Achieve Net Zero Carbon Emissions
May 03, 2022/ Francis Menton

Today I trekked out to Brooklyn to testify at a public hearing on New York’s plans to achieve “net zero” electricity by 2030 or so, and a “net zero” economy by 2050.  Actually, it wasn’t much of a trek — the hearing took place at an auditorium in Brooklyn Heights, near the first subway stop on the other side of the East River. 

The organization holding the hearing was the New York Climate Action Council.  This body was created under New York’s Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act of 2019 (Climate Act), and is tasked with figuring out how to achieve the statutorily mandated net zero targets.  The first statutory target is 40% reduction in carbon emissions by 2030, which as a practical matter means that fossil fuels must be almost completely eliminated from the electricity sector by that date.  The Council issued its Draft Scoping Plan for how to achieve the targets on December 30, 2021.  The Draft Scoping Plan is some 300 pages of text plus 500 pages of appendices; but the gist comes down to, we will order the private sector to eliminate emissions by various dates certain, and then it is up to the little people to work out the details.  Today’s hearing allowed for members of the public to comment on the Draft Scoping Plan, supposedly so that any appropriate adjustments can be made before the Plan becomes final later this year.

The Climate Action Council has some 21 members.  A full list can be found here.  Seven of the 21 attended today’s hearing.  I’m going to give you a list of these people and their titles, to give an indication of the extent to which the Council is dominated by environmental activists and political functionaries with no background or interest in how a huge electrical grid might actually get converted to “net zero” as an engineering matter.  The members present were:  Doreen Harris, President and CEO of the New York Energy Research and Development Authority; Basil Seggos, Commissioner of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation; Roberta Reardon, Commissioner of the New York State Department of Labor; Robert Rodriguez, Acting Secretary of State of New York; RuthAnne Visnauskas, Commissioner and CEO, New York State Homes and Community Renewal; Peter Iwanowicz, Executive Director, Environmental Advocates NY; and Raya Salter, Lead Policy Organizer, NY Renews.  Of these, maybe Ms. Harris of NYSERDA knows something about how the electrical grid works.  Then again, maybe she doesn’t.

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2022-5-3-my-testimony-on-new-yorks-scoping-plan-to-achieve-net-zero-carbon-emissions