Author Topic: Poll: One-Third of Americans Making $250K ‘Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck’  (Read 690 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Poll: One-Third of Americans Making $250K ‘Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck’

Katherine Hamilton 1 Jun 2022

More than 33 percent of Americans who earn $250,000 a year report living paycheck to paycheck, “underscoring how inflation is taking a bigger bite out of Americans’ budgets at all ends of the pay spectrum,” Bloomberg reported on Wednesday.

Industry publication Pymnts.com and LendingClub Corp. conducted a survey from April 6-13 with about 4,000 US consumers, finding that roughly 36 percent of households bringing in $250,000-plus annually spend most of their income on household expenses.

“It’s particularly true among millennials, who are now in their mid-20s to early 40s: More than half of top earners in that generation report having little left at the end of the month,” according to the report.

The survey revealed that 55.4 percent of Millennials who earn $250,000-plus a year reported living paycheck to paycheck compared to 21.8 percent of Boomer generation respondents in the same earnings category.

The survey did distinguish high earners who can pay their bills with relative ease compared to those who struggled to cover household expenses in April, which is roughly one in ten. The report noted:

Housing expenses, which typically take up large chunks of the budgets of wealthier people, have skyrocketed during the pandemic. For example in Orange County, California, a top-tier home cost $1.7 million in April, up from $1.2 million in February 2020, based on Zillow Group Inc. data. A mortgage on that house, assuming a 20 percent down payment, would cost about $100,000 per year. That’s 40 percent of a $250,000 annual pre-tax income.

Approximately 61 percent of consumers overall reported living paycheck to paycheck in April, which is a nine percentage-point increase from last year. The results come as U.S. food inflation continues to soar past a 41-year high and gas prices surpass $5 in many parts of the country.

The survey found that many higher income households are using credit cards to “finance their lifestyles,” but they are also able to completely pay off the balance.

“US consumer borrowing soared in March by the most on record as credit-card balances ballooned and non-revolving credit jumped, highlighting the combined impact of solid spending and rising prices,” the report states.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/06/01/poll-one-third-of-americans-making-250k-live-paycheck-to-paycheck/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I see they have Gen X down to about 8 years...
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

I see they have Gen X down to about 8 years...

I would love to have $250k a year to live on.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

While I realize that they tax the crap out of you, taking half would mean $10K a month take home. Even $5K a month for debt payments, insurance, and utilities would leave the other half free and clear.

City living is expensive, but geez Louise.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:13:35 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

While I realize that they tax the crap out of you, taking half would mean 10K a month take home. Even $5K a month for debt payments, insurance, and utilities would leave the other half free and clear.

City living is expensive, but geez Louise.

Exactly.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
If you are making 250K a year and are living paycheck to paycheck maybe you need to curb some spending, stop going out to eat so much, cut back on entertainment, quit leasing or buying cars to impress others. In short, live within your means.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Millennials lack good economic judgement.

They earn a lot but are bigger spenders than their parents.

Building wealth is more of control of spending than it is earning high income.

The downward path for them during the recession will cause a lot of pain to these pleasure-seekers.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

I am SO VERY HAPPY I got off that train and went back to country living. The pressure of it alone about blew me to pieces. Never again. Money don't buy happiness nor peace - Especially on payments. Poor fools. But there ain't no telling em.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Me, too. I could stash 100K a year in investments (after taxes) and still live well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

I suspect the paycheck-to-paycheck high earners are concentrated in LA, NYC and the Bay Area, all of which have both high taxes and obscenely high housing costs.  A lot of them are probably also servicing private education loans, which haven't been paused for the pandemic (or political points) like the Federal ones.  That probably also accounts for the generational difference:  Millennial high earners are concentrated in places where pay has to be high because cost of living is high and businesses couldn't attract workers without large pay packets, while Boomer high earners are spread more evenly across the country.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

I suspect the paycheck-to-paycheck high earners are concentrated in LA, NYC and the Bay Area, all of which have both high taxes and obscenely high housing costs.  A lot of them are probably also servicing private education loans, which haven't been paused for the pandemic (or political points) like the Federal ones.  That probably also accounts for the generational difference:  Millennial high earners are concentrated in places where pay has to be high because cost of living is high and businesses couldn't attract workers without large pay packets, while Boomer high earners are spread more evenly across the country.

I suspect you're absolutely correct.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Oh, if you really want to have top pay, just get a job with the VA.  You also get all the govt benefits you want.

https://www.federalpay.org/employees/top-100

And Biden wants to give all federal workers a big fat pay raise.

President’s Budget Proposes 4.6% 2023 Federal Pay Raise
https://www.fedsmith.com/2022/03/28/2023-federal-pay-raise/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Any bozo who can't make it on $250K a year really needs to give me a call.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Any bozo who can't make it on $250K a year really needs to give me a call.
Yep!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

Millennials lack good economic judgement.

They earn a lot but are bigger spenders than their parents.

Building wealth is more of control of spending than it is earning high income.

The downward path for them during the recession will cause a lot of pain to these pleasure-seekers.

Their parents never explained wealth versus income, or they lack the common sense to make the distinction.  An upper middle class income does not make luxury items affordable.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"One-Third of Americans Making $250K ‘Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck’"