Author Topic: Ethanol: A Dumb Idea or A Crime — Or Both?  (Read 143 times)

rebewranger

Ethanol: A Dumb Idea or A Crime — Or Both?
« on: June 01, 2022, 02:55:56 pm »
Ethanol: A Dumb Idea or A Crime — Or Both?
1 hour ago Guest Blogger 3 Comments
by Gregory Wrightstone

Expanded use of ethanol — enabled by President Biden’s lifting a summertime ban on fuels with a 15 percent blend — is a poor answer to high gasoline prices and a refusal to recognize the failures of the corn-based fuel additive. Reuters described the president’s action a win for the corn lobby, but all others appear to be losers.

Shortcomings of ethanol as an alternative to gasoline have been reported continually since at least 2007 when the U.S. government expanded its requirement that distributors blend ethanol with fuels to reduce dependence on foreign oil. The additive also has been touted as a way to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide.

“There is a great danger for the right to food by the development of biofuels,” U.N. human rights advocate Jean Ziegler said at the time. “It (the price) will be paid perhaps by hundreds of thousands of people who will die from hunger,” A year later he called the diversion of food crops to fuel production a “crime against humanity.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/06/01/ethanol-a-dumb-idea-or-a-crime-or-both/

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Ethanol: A Dumb Idea or A Crime — Or Both?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 03:01:04 pm »
This stuff always reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies.
Using ethanol as fuel is taking us back in time to a hundred years ago in the deep country. And it damages modern automobiles with modern engines which cannot process/use biofuels efficiently.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 03:02:08 pm »
Warranties of older vehicles would be voided by >10% ethanol in fuels.

There's a reason for this, and manufacturers did not want to get stuck with the tab fixing fuel systems that failed because of excessive ethanol.

The gambit here is to destroy older vehicles with crappy fuel, and it may be remembered by those who drove high compression engines back in the day with tetraethyl lead additives to prevent valves burning. Suddenly, you couldn't get good gas, and if you wanted it you blended your own with avgas (which had a far higher lead content and about 105 octane) or used some other additive to keep from destroying your engine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 03:03:29 pm »
It's a dumb crime based on politics, not economics.

Politicians use ethanol policy to buy Midwestern votes, especially for the Iowa Caucuses.

Diverting corn away from food production and livestock feed increases food inflation.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.