Author Topic: China Moves to Buy a Major American News Outlet  (Read 436 times)

Offline Kamaji

China Moves to Buy a Major American News Outlet
« on: June 01, 2022, 12:25:44 pm »
China Moves to Buy a Major American News Outlet

By Bonchie
May 31, 2022

A Chinese-government-controlled company has put in an offer to buy Forbes, the major American news company that built its name on financial analysis.

According to the Free Beacon, Magnum Opus, the CCP-controlled company in question, announced its intent to acquire the property last August. Now, that deal looks to be nearing completion, and it’s drawing outrage from Republicans who are pointing out what a major security risk the move represents.

https://twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/1531694414359318530

A Chinese-controlled firm’s bid to buy the Forbes media company poses a national security threat and would allow the Chinese Communist Party to push its propaganda by using one of the most recognizable American brand names, according to a group of Republican senators.

“Forbes is a recognizable American brand with immense propaganda value to the CCP,” Sens. Tom Cotton (Ark.), Bill Hagerty (Tenn.), Ted Cruz (Texas), and Bill Cassidy (La.) wrote on May 24 to the Treasury Department, demanding the Biden administration launch an investigation into the proposed purchase. “The CCP’s direction of Forbes’ editorial content and business operations, or its access to Forbes’ financial and personal research, could present a serious national security threat to the United States.”

Frankly, I believe it’s insane that this is even being considered. No nation on earth survives, much less thrives, while selling itself to foreign adversaries. Yes, there is a unique risk in allowing the Chinese to control the news flow in a nation founded on free speech, but this goes beyond just that. Any Chinese investment in the United States poses a danger to the well-being and long-term security of the country. We shouldn’t be letting the Chinese buy up property, we shouldn’t let them buy American corporations, and we certainly shouldn’t let them buy American news outlets.

Source:  https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/05/31/china-moves-to-buy-a-major-american-news-outlet-n572890

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: China Moves to Buy a Major American News Outlet
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:22:25 pm »
Letting the CCP buy up a major business and financial publisher? What could possibly go wrong?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 09:31:03 pm »
Forbes...
From capitalist tool...
... to the CCP's fool.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 10:08:13 pm »
As if CCP Propaganda is any worse than MSM Propaganda.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 10:21:58 pm »
As if CCP Propaganda is any worse than MSM Propaganda.

That was my first thought when I read the title. 'Would it really change anything?'
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 11:37:24 pm »
That was my first thought when I read the title. 'Would it really change anything?'
My thought also, the only thing new here is that China is finally doing it out in the open.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 02:34:26 am »
Of course it would change things.

As an American corporation, Forbes is subject to libel laws.

We already have Chinese companies listed on the NYSE who the US exempts from SEC disclosures due to "Chinese sovereignty".

We will find a Chinese Forbes will be exempt from libel I reckon.

Now, the Chinese would be very good at heading Biden's "Misinformation Department"
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:35:13 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 12:50:33 pm »
I guess the Chinese finally figured out it is cheaper to buy than it is to rent.

How ironic is it that the Chinese are turning into Capitalists at the same time western nations are going Communist?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:52:36 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!