Author Topic: Texas Senate Democrats Ask Abbott for Special Session to Enact Gun Control, Including ‘Red Flag’ Law  (Read 608 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas Senate Democrats Ask Abbott for Special Session to Enact Gun Control, Including ‘Red Flag’ Laws

Democrats have called for additional restrictions on firearms after the shooting deaths of 19
schoolchildren and two teachers in Uvalde.

Hayden Sparks
6 mins ago

In a letter to Gov. Greg Abbott, Texas Senate Democrats urged him to call a special session of the Texas legislature to enact gun control measures after an 18-year-old male killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde last week.

Gov. Greg Abbott seemed open to the possibility at a news conference last week, saying “all options are on the table.” However, he did not explicitly say whether he was seriously considering calling a session.

The signers of the letter include Sens. Carol Alvarado (D-Houston), Nathan Johnson (D-Dallas), John Whitmire (D-Houston), Judith Zaffirini (D-Laredo), Eddie Lucio (D-Brownsville), Royce West (D-Dallas), Chuy Hinojosa (D-McAllen), Jose Menendez (D-San Antonio), Borris Miles (D-Houston), Beverly Powell (D-Burleson), Sarah Eckhardt (D-Austin), Roland Gutierrez (D-San Antonio), and Cesar Blanco (D-El Paso).

“Texas has suffered more mass shootings over the past decade than any other state. In Sutherland Springs, 26 people died. At Santa Fe High School, 10 people died. In El Paso, 23 people died at a Walmart. Seven people died in Midland-Odessa,” the senators wrote on Saturday.

“After each of these mass killings, you have held press conferences and roundtables promising things would change. After the slaughter of 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, those broken promises have never rung more hollow. The time to take real actions is now.”

more
https://thetexan.news/texas-senate-democrats-ask-abbott-for-special-session-to-enact-gun-control-including-red-flag-laws/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Abbott should propose [only] a law that ends the "expunging" of prior criminal records when "a youth" turns 18 years of age.

NO dem-communist anywhere will support that.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Abbott should propose [only] a law that ends the "expunging" of prior criminal records when "a youth" turns 18 years of age.

NO dem-communist anywhere will support that.
I agree. If violent behaviour was carried over, this guy would never have been able to get a gun.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Beto O'Rourke on guns:
Sept 2019: “Hell yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47.”
Feb. 2022: “I’m not interested in taking anything from anyone.”
Today: "People who have [AR-15 and AK-47s] should not be able to keep them."

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1531748618121711616
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://link.houstonchronicle.com/view/5b0232662ddf9c12eaecd67eglv20.306/1eed8ea3

Facing calls from Democrats -- and some Republicans -- across the state, Gov. Greg Abbott acknowledged in a Friday afternoon news conference in Uvalde that "all options are on the table."

“Do we expect laws to come out of this devastating crime? The answer is absolutely yes. And there will be laws in multiple different subject areas,” the governor said. “We need to have a discussion and pass laws to make sure that our schools are safer, and the people of Uvalde and the people of Texas deserve it.”

The Legislature passed a sweep of laws after the Santa Fe High School shooting in 2018 with mental health initiatives, school security requirements and allowances for school employees to carry guns on campus. Notably missing from those policies: laws to make it more difficult to obtain guns or ammunition.

Rhetoric from Abbott and some other Republicans in the wake of last week's tragedy highlight a fundamental tension that Republican politicians are facing: How do you talk about stopping gun violence without talking about guns?

Offline PeteS in CA

Dumb question, I keep seeing references to "AK-47s". Are these true AK-47s capable of automatic fire? Or "just" clones that are semiautomatic and fire 7.62x39 rounds from a curved magazine?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dumb question, I keep seeing references to "AK-47s". Are these true AK-47s capable of automatic fire? Or "just" clones that are semiautomatic and fire 7.62x39 rounds from a curved magazine?

The semi-autos are also called AK-47s.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Here in America we just refer to all AK-47's as the overall model, but correctly the A stands for Automatic, while the semi-auto model is correctly called a SK-47, where the S designates semi-auto. it's the same as the difference between an AR-15 and an M-16.