Author Topic: What Gold Star families wished everyone knew about Memorial Day  (Read 123 times)

rebewranger

What Gold Star families wished everyone knew about Memorial Day
Opinion by Ami Neiberger - 23m ago

The first national celebration of Memorial Day took place May 30, 1868, at Arlington National Cemetery. Originally known as Decoration Day, at the turn of the century the holiday was renamed Memorial Day. Families would bring flowers to place at the graves of their loved ones. Set aside as a day to honor service members who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country, the nation would pause to remember.

For many Americans, Memorial Day now is about celebrating the start of summer and the end of the school year. Advertisers and shops apply plenty of red, white and blue signage and wish us a happy Memorial Day while touting sales bonanzas and barbecues.

It can be jarring to be a Gold Star family member to see so much messaging that is disconnected from the meaning of the holiday. Just today, I was wished a Happy Memorial Day by a work colleague. I just let the comment slide past me and moved on.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-gold-star-families-wished-everyone-knew-about-memorial-day/ar-AAXR6GL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=31b70507be434f69abaf232062758e00