Author Topic: ‘In the crosshairs’: Department of Navy releases climate change strategy  (Read 170 times)

rebewranger

‘In the crosshairs’: Department of Navy releases climate change strategy
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
 May 27, 06:11 PM

The Department of the Navy this week released its strategy for how it will deal with climate change and proceed toward the government’s goal of net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.

“Climate change is one of the most destabilizing forces of our time, exacerbating other national security concerns and posing serious readiness challenges,” Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro said in the introduction to the 32-page report. “Our naval and amphibious forces are in the crosshairs of the climate crisis and this strategy provides the framework to empower us to meaningfully reduce the threat of climate change.”

Setting the department on a course to combat climate change is a main priority of Del Toro’s tenure. He called the issue “existential” for the Navy and Marine Corps.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/05/27/in-the-crosshairs-department-of-navy-releases-climate-change-strategy/

rebewranger

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I can't argue with it being a destabilizing force, but that force is political, not a force of nature.

Nothing like swinging at shadows...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis